The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 04:50:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 04:50:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Simple Vegetarian Lunch Recipes  (Read 20004 times)
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 04, 2011, 11:06:14 am »

Also: tofu in smoothies?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tofuberry-Smoothie/Detail.aspx

Like that. Use your imagination. :-)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 04, 2011, 11:13:11 am »

Interesting! Maybe I'll look for more than one kind of tofu while I'm out, then. Smiley

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 04, 2011, 12:57:56 pm »

This can happen easily.
I found that esp. names of food or plants can be difficult.
I think she meant 'porree' which is leeks.
And risotto rice should be available in the US too, I guess. Wink
Milk rice is another special rice for well, cooking milk rice.
Those exactly and yeah, translating recipes is awful. I even looked up the lentils, but I got the wrong word because lenses and lentils are the same word in German, meh...

Uh, so porrigde isn't porree? I've always found it weird that the British should eat leek for breakfast...but than I thought British cuisine is just a bit different...well looks like I've been misreading it for years.  Embarrassed

Did I mention that veggie and plant vocabulary is awful? That's because the words often look similar to other non-related veggies and plants while not providing enough situational context to warn you about being on the completly wrong track.... *sinks into the earth full of shame*

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #18: June 04, 2011, 01:10:04 pm »

*sinks into the earth full of shame*

Don't. Wink
I second the notion, that plants and food things are not easy to translate.
Let alone if it's about products of daily use, that are just different in different countries.

And then, I'm making the same mistakes, when I'm not fully focused.
Once I used 'obsession' instead of 'posession' because 'besessen' is in German the same word for both I was not paying attention.

It happens. Don't worry. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: June 04, 2011, 08:20:40 pm »

Yup! As for ingredients, my local grocery store is a Stop & Shop (I think it's called Giant in most places outside the Northeast) which is pretty basic. I do have access to a Whole Foods market, about an hour away round trip, and I think there are some cultural grocery shops in that area, though I've never paid much attention.

I'm also willing to try anything once!

One of my current faves is lentils with either rice or polenta.  I nicked the lentil part from this recipe on Food Network's website (which is a fantastic resource for recipes).  But I'm a vegetarian, so I skip the sausage part and pair the lentils with a grain.  That could be pretty much any grain you like: rice, bulgar wheat, etc.  I usually use rice or polenta.

Polenta is super easy, and so cheap ("polenta" = corn meal).  This is the polenta recipe I started with, substituting vegetable broth and omitting the pepper flakes (I don't like spicy).  Now, I generally don't do the frying part.  It can either be served directly out of the cooking pan, or you can bake it for a bit more firmness.  Once you've made polenta, you'll see how easy it is to substitute various liquids and herbs.

Also, about the lentils and grain, it can be eaten cold or reheated in a microwave.

Another quick recipe I like a lot is cous cous with chick peas:  Make the cous cous per the label instructions, but substitute the liquid from one or two cans of chick peas for part of the cooking liquid, making up the full amount with vegetable stock (or water).  Add the chick peas to the water and bring to a boil.  Then add in cous cous and let set until the water is absorbed.  While you're bringing the water to a boil, saute a large-ish onion and some minced garlic until carmelized.   (I actually like to slightly char the edges of the onion.)  Add the onion and garlic to the cous cous and chick peas.  Stir well.  Serve hot or cold.

Lately, we've been doing a lot of pita pizza, which you can make ahead and reheat for lunch.  Use the pita for the pizza crust, and top with whatever you like.  I like to use pesto as the sauce, or regular tomato spaghetti sauce, or olive oil with a little garlic.  I usually top with mozzarella cheese, but other cheeses work well, too, especially feta and ricotta.  Add whatever toppings you like. For me, that's mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, roasted red peppers, whatever we have on hand.

We also do a lot of pasta with vegetable toppings.  I'll take whatever we have in the fridge, freezer, and pantry and make the topping.  Usually that means canned diced tomatoes (which work for almost any fresh tomato use), frozen spinach, frozen broccoli, peppers, onions, carrots, mushrooms, etc.  I saute them in olive oil and garlic, starting with the onion and working up to the broccoli (which doesn't want as much cooking).  Sometimes I season with soy sauce and black pepper, sometimes with lemon juice and ginger.  Once the veggies are cooked, toss in the cooked pasta.  Serve hot or cold.

As you can see, I tend to use recipes as "guidelines" and adapt them to my tastes.  All of these dishes are super-easy and very adaptable.

Do you want recipes for more involved dishes?  Like spinach lasagna and such? 

Also, about grocery stores:  I usually stick with the "normal" stores or Costco.  Whole Foods has some great produce and other fantastic vegetarian ingredients, but it's so overpriced!  Just not worth it, unless you need something really unusual that you can't make yourself.

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: June 05, 2011, 08:59:14 am »

Uh, so porrigde isn't porree? I've always found it weird that the British should eat leek for breakfast...but than I thought British cuisine is just a bit different...well looks like I've been misreading it for years.  Embarrassed
Leeks for breakfast certainly doesn't seem any odder than, say, kippers.  But, no, porridge is just boiled cereal grains - or <performs Wikipedia magic> Haferbrei.

Did I mention that veggie and plant vocabulary is awful? That's because the words often look similar to other non-related veggies and plants while not providing enough situational context to warn you about being on the completly wrong track.... *sinks into the earth full of shame*
Oh, heck, that can get tricky even between regional variations of English.  F'ex, Rocquelaire, being from the UK, mentioned "courgettes" upthread, in post #5 - that's "zucchini" to me (and apparently to you, too), and others might know it best as "Italian squash".  She mentioned "bell peppers" as well, which surprised me a little - they're bell peppers to me, too, but I'd have expected her to say "capsicums" (I'm not sure if that's me mixing UK and Australian terminology up, or Rocquelaire knowing that "bell peppers" would be less confusing).  And then there's the veggie known to some as "eggplant" and to others as "aubergine".

Plant vocabulary - say, for gardeners and herbalists - is even worse; so very many plants have different local common names.  The more languages you throw in, the more locations you're dealing with and the larger the list of names.  This, undoubtedly, is why use of Latin names is such a common practice; it has become the (ha!) lingua franca of plant identification.

So, nothing to be ashamed about!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: June 05, 2011, 09:02:00 am »

Leeks for breakfast certainly doesn't seem any odder than, say, kippers.  But, no, porridge is just boiled cereal grains - or <performs Wikipedia magic> Haferbrei.
Also, while Wiki-ing those links up, I discovered that Wikibooks has a cookbook.  How cool is that?

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: June 05, 2011, 09:05:04 am »

I don't think pre-made spaetzle is readily available (specialty stores only, I'd guess), but I seem to recall it being fairly easy to make oneself.
And mere hours after posting that, I chanced across a cooking blog that discussed making spaetzle.

Sunflower

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #23: June 05, 2011, 09:12:02 am »

This, undoubtedly, is why use of Latin names is such a common practice; it has become the (ha!) lingua franca of plant identification.

That's exactly the thing I look for, if the topic is plants.
Magical or otherwise.

I google the Latin name and then I can get the German name and be sure that I have the right plant.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 05, 2011, 10:00:01 am »

Milk rice is another special rice for well, cooking milk rice.

In the UK that would be "pudding rice"  Grin

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 05, 2011, 10:07:40 am »

Oh, heck, that can get tricky even between regional variations of English.  F'ex, Rocquelaire, being from the UK, mentioned "courgettes" upthread, in post #5 - that's "zucchini" to me (and apparently to you, too), and others might know it best as "Italian squash".  She mentioned "bell peppers" as well, which surprised me a little - they're bell peppers to me, too, but I'd have expected her to say "capsicums" (I'm not sure if that's me mixing UK and Australian terminology up, or Rocquelaire knowing that "bell peppers" would be less confusing).  

Sunflower

Just to add to the fun they are  commonly known as sweet peppers here in England to differentiate them from the hot peppers. However on a predominately US forum like this I'd use bell peppers too.

Took me an awful long time to work out what on earth a "rutabaga" was though. It's almost never used in the UK except on the ingredients list of a famous brand of pickle. I guess that they must think that the UK term would be too offputting. 

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 05, 2011, 01:38:44 pm »

F'ex, Rocquelaire, being from the UK, mentioned "courgettes" upthread, in post #5 - that's "zucchini" to me (and apparently to you, too), and others might know it best as "Italian squash".  She mentioned "bell peppers" as well, which surprised me a little - they're bell peppers to me, too, but I'd have expected her to say "capsicums" (I'm not sure if that's me mixing UK and Australian terminology up, or Rocquelaire knowing that "bell peppers" would be less confusing).  And then there's the veggie known to some as "eggplant" and to others as "aubergine".

I knew bell peppers would be less confusing - we call them sweet peppers in Scotland. I had actually intended to say zuchinni instead of courgettes but clearly I forgot that when I was typing the word! The variations can be tricky some times. And like you said that's all in the same language, I'm glad that I'm not trying to translate something else into English Smiley.

I think it's probably a bit easier for people in the UK to use American terms because so much popular media comes from the US whereas UK terms may be less familiar over there.
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 05, 2011, 01:49:06 pm »

I'm basically willing to try anything- maybe whichever of those is your favorite you could elaborate on? Smiley

Oh, it's hard to say what my favourite is lol they're all so lovely! I really like this one though:

Basil pasta.
Boil pasta in veg stock. In another pot bring about 60ml of veg stock to the boil. Add to this stock a good handfull of fresh basil leaves, a crushed garlic clove and a tablespoon of chopped mixed nuts. When the basil starts to wilt take the pot off if the heat and blend it together. Mix it into the pasta with a tablespoon of fat free fromage frais and top with a little grated Parmesan.

That one is really quick and tasty, hope you enjoy it Cheesy.

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: June 05, 2011, 02:49:01 pm »

Hello! I'm in the market for simple vegetarian or pescetarian recipes that would make a good lunch for one. I am not a very practiced cook, but I would dearly love to learn.

So, any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Sometimes I've taken a can of black beans, some chunky salsa (whatever mildness/hotness  you like) and mix them with cooked brown (or white) rice.  If you want to make it non-vegetarian you can always toss tuna fish or chunked chicken in it too. Smiley  Either way, my daughter LOVES this recipe. 

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: June 05, 2011, 03:24:09 pm »

Just to add to the fun they are  commonly known as sweet peppers here in England to differentiate them from the hot peppers.

I knew bell peppers would be less confusing - we call them sweet peppers in Scotland.
I can't speak for the folks in the US (and maybe not for folks in other parts of Canada, either; I wouldn't be surprised if both countries had regional variations), but I would have understood "sweet peppers" - it's less common than "bell peppers", but not non-standard, especially when referring particularly to the differentiation from hot peppers.

Or, just possibly, it's my own awareness of international culinary vocabulary that makes me parse it as standard.  Can you tell I've been fascinated by this for years?

Sunflower

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)