The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 15, 2019, 12:20:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2019, 12:20:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Simple Vegetarian Lunch Recipes  (Read 14085 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 07, 2019, 05:12:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: June 05, 2011, 03:37:41 pm »

Took me an awful long time to work out what on earth a "rutabaga" was though. It's almost never used in the UK except on the ingredients list of a famous brand of pickle. I guess that they must think that the UK term would be too offputting. 
I've been hazy on that for years, and since you mentioned it and I still have the Wikibooks Cookbook open in a browser window, I finally got around to looking it up.

And, lo and behold, it's what my mother would call a yellow turnip.  Or, most often and apparently incorrectly, just a turnip.  Actual turnips are the small purply ones (which also taste better).  Here I thought it was just two different sorts of turnips (and that rutabagas were a related/similar veg, but not the same) - and imagined swedes to be yet another veg of that general sort, and it turns out that's a rutabaga too.  (Assuming the Wiki cookbook is reliable - Wikipedia is generally more reliable than not on cookery topics, but I haven't done more than a cursory survey of the cookbook so who knows?)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 05, 2011, 04:12:09 pm »

Or, just possibly, it's my own awareness of international culinary vocabulary that makes me parse it as standard.  Can you tell I've been fascinated by this for years?

I would never have guessed Wink. I've become very interested in it in the last few years since my confidence in my cooking abilities (and thus my willingness to try something new) has increased and I began to look further afield for inspiration. It's much easier to follow a recipe you can understand lol
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: June 05, 2011, 04:18:42 pm »

And, lo and behold, it's what my mother would call a yellow turnip.  Or, most often and apparently incorrectly, just a turnip.  Actual turnips are the small purply ones (which also taste better).  Here I thought it was just two different sorts of turnips (and that rutabagas were a related/similar veg, but not the same) - and imagined swedes to be yet another veg of that general sort, and it turns out that's a rutabaga too.

I know that in Scotland we call yellow turnip just turnip (or neeps as in "haggis, neeps and tatties") and the small purpley ones swede. I had no idea at all that this was incorrect. I looked up rutabaga after hearing it referred to on Winnie the Pooh (I was watching it with my daughter - honest!) and got a picture of the small purpley one.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #33: June 05, 2011, 07:44:37 pm »

I know that in Scotland we call yellow turnip just turnip (or neeps as in "haggis, neeps and tatties") and the small purpley ones swede. I had no idea at all that this was incorrect. I looked up rutabaga after hearing it referred to on Winnie the Pooh (I was watching it with my daughter - honest!) and got a picture of the small purpley one.

Dude, I watch Winnie the Pooh on a semi-regular basis. It helps me fall asleep when the pain meds aren't working.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #34: June 05, 2011, 07:45:08 pm »

And just a general reply to everyone: thanks so much! I have a lot of things to try. Smiley

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: June 05, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »

Well, that doesn't do much good for WikiCookbook's reliability cred, does it?

I'll do some further checking (Joy of Cooking; I have a fruits-and-veggies guide [not recipes, info on what's what and how to choose and prep] that I've found to be a sound source; I'm sure I'll think of others), and let yous all know what I find out.  But not today; TC has been a busy, busy place and I'm getting close to ready to call it a day.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: June 05, 2011, 07:53:38 pm »

Dude, I watch Winnie the Pooh on a semi-regular basis. It helps me fall asleep when the pain meds aren't working.
We're grownups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means Cheesy.

Sunflower

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: June 05, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »

Then you'll be pleased to hear that I am seeing an advanced screening of the new movie thanks to the Seattle International Film Festival.

::snuggles with her Eeyore doll::

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #38: June 05, 2011, 08:37:13 pm »

Then you'll be pleased to hear that I am seeing an advanced screening of the new movie thanks to the Seattle International Film Festival.

::snuggles with her Eeyore doll::

SO JEALOUS! I can't wait until it hits theaters so I can race out and see it.

I just hope I get used to Rabbit's voice. I saw a trailer somewhere (I want to say PerezHilton?) and everyone sounded "right" except for him.

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: June 05, 2011, 08:39:12 pm »

I just hope I get used to Rabbit's voice. I saw a trailer somewhere (I want to say PerezHilton?) and everyone sounded "right" except for him.

Say what? It's changed?! I adore Rabbit: that would be hard to get used to.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #40: June 05, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »

Say what? It's changed?! I adore Rabbit: that would be hard to get used to.

I just looked at the wiki pages for the 1977 film and the 2011 film, and none of them are the same, which is not surprising given the time span. The only name on the new list that's familiar to me as a Pooh fan is Jim Cummings, who voiced Pooh and Tigger on the late eighties TV show.

I'm surprised to see that Craig Ferguson is Owl! That should be interesting. I like John Cleese as the Narrator, too.

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #41: June 06, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »

Hello! I'm in the market for simple vegetarian or pescetarian recipes that would make a good lunch for one. I am not a very practiced cook, but I would dearly love to learn.

So, any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Not cooking, per se, but I tend to make pita pockets stuffed with veggies and cheese.  My favorite is avocado, swiss cheese, green peppers, leaf lettuce, and sprouts.

When I'm in the mood for a lighter lunch, I make open-face radish sandwiches: slice a baguette into rounds, spread each round with butter, top with thin slices of radish and sprinkle with sea salt.  MMMMMMM!

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #42: June 07, 2011, 12:16:10 am »

I'll do some further checking (Joy of Cooking; I have a fruits-and-veggies guide [not recipes, info on what's what and how to choose and prep] that I've found to be a sound source; I'm sure I'll think of others), and let yous all know what I find out.
Joy and my veggie guide (the latter with photos) concur:  the bigger ones with the yellower flesh are rutabagas, the smaller ones with more purple on them and white flesh are turnips.

If they'd disagreed, I'd have kept looking to see what other sources had to say, but agreement from those two strikes me as carrying enough weight to stamp that one "done".

Sunflower

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #43: June 08, 2011, 04:16:43 pm »

Basil pasta.

Oh, that reminds me of another super-easy fave.

Cook small or medium shell pasta to al dente done-ness.  (Or any other shape, really.  I just like shells for this, for some reason.)  While pasta is cooking, chop a couple of nice, ripe tomatoes (amount depends on what you have on hand and how much you like tomatoes).  Drain cooked pasta, add a large container of ricotta cheese, chopped tomatoes, and a good handful of fresh, chopped basil leaves.  Stir well over medium heat, just to warm through.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve hot or cold.

This one is about as easy as it gets.  You can change up the amounts of pasta, tomatoes, cheese, and basil to match your own tastes.  But great when the tomatoes come in.   Cheesy

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
NatureMade
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 23, 2011, 01:47:25 pm

Religion: Atheist but Paganish - Revering Mother Earth in all her guises.

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: June 08, 2011, 11:25:06 pm »

Hello! I'm in the market for simple vegetarian or pescetarian recipes that would make a good lunch for one. I am not a very practiced cook, but I would dearly love to learn.

So, any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

I've been a vegetarian for about 25 years so I have a ton of recipes I use all the time. Some -- like seitan -- are more complicated than others, but there is one standby that I love. I think tabouli just cannot be beat for a super easy, cool summer salad that just happens to be a meal in itself.

You can adjust this to whatever salad type vegetables you like and have on hand as far as amounts go, but basically you just put a cup of lemon juice and a cup of olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer) together with 2 cups (1 lb. by weight) of bulgur wheat, a bunch or two of chopped fresh parsley, a couple each of diced fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, chopped green onions and salt & pepper to taste in a BIG bowl. It swells a lot, so start with a bowl about 3 times bigger than all that will fill. Let it sit covered in the fridge overnight. Next day, stir it all up to blend everything well, and serve cold. It really is delicious with all the whole grain and vegetables in there, but it is really nutritious too. Keeps well too - and serves a couple of dozen people as a main course or twice that many as a hefty side salad -- so works well as a picnic food or for a potluck dish. (I don't share this tip with many people, but the secret ingredient I use in my tabouli -- that has gotten rave reviews more than once -- is a good dose of soy sauce in the final stir. The soy sauce and lemon juice together give it a really nice zing that ordinary table salt can't quite match. A bit of fresh, finely chopped garlic blends well too.)

Another great and quick summer vegetarian food I like - pita bread and veggie sandwiches. Just cut the pockets in half and stuff them with bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, chopped green onions, tomato and cucumber slices and some sliced or cubed olives and avocado. Douse it all thoroughly in green goddess dressing (you can use ranch if you can't find green goddess, but the green stuff is definitely preferable for this sandwich). You can add cheese (sharp shredded cheddar, a sprinkle of parmesan or maybe some cubed feta) if you like, but it isn't necessary. I have also skipped the dressing and avocado slices and used guacamole as a substitute for both -- to good effect. In fact, pita bread works really well with almost any filling so you could use refried beans, cooked rice, salad veggies (tomatoes, lettuce, shredded broccoli, cole slaw -- whatever) toss in some black olives and a bit of shredded cheddar, top with hot sauce and sour cream, and make a south of the border style pita ala taco.  Wink

I'm getting hungry!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)