The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 05:40:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 05:40:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Simple Vegetarian Lunch Recipes  (Read 20005 times)
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 10, 2011, 10:23:30 pm »

I don't think pre-made spaetzle is readily available (specialty stores only, I'd guess), but I seem to recall it being fairly easy to make oneself.

Look in the aisle by the instant potatoes.  That's where we carry them at the store I work at. 

Stuffed peppers have been mentioned, and I'd add stuffed pasta shells to that.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Derek
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: June 10, 2011, 10:30:55 pm »

Yup! As for ingredients, my local grocery store is a Stop & Shop (I think it's called Giant in most places outside the Northeast) which is pretty basic. I do have access to a Whole Foods market, about an hour away round trip, and I think there are some cultural grocery shops in that area, though I've never paid much attention.

Ask your store if they can get something for you.  The store I work at (an IGA) will often special order something if someone asks.  Usually it's if you buy a case, but we sometimes start to carry things.  It's much easier if you can provide an empty packaging of whatever you want, as they can look up the barcode number.  Sometimes it's just a question of interest from the customers.

ps. Our tofu comes through the produce department, so I'd say check there.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Derek
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: June 10, 2011, 10:42:58 pm »

And, lo and behold, it's what my mother would call a yellow turnip.  Or, most often and apparently incorrectly, just a turnip.  Actual turnips are the small purply ones (which also taste better).  Here I thought it was just two different sorts of turnips (and that rutabagas were a related/similar veg, but not the same) - and imagined swedes to be yet another veg of that general sort, and it turns out that's a rutabaga too.  (Assuming the Wiki cookbook is reliable - Wikipedia is generally more reliable than not on cookery topics, but I haven't done more than a cursory survey of the cookbook so who knows?)

For me they're Waxed Turnips (for the wax coating they're sold with) and Purpletop Turnips.  Rutabega was just another name for waxed turnips, just as Green Onions are another name for what I'd call Scallions.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #48: June 11, 2011, 06:25:08 am »

Look in the aisle by the instant potatoes.  That's where we carry them at the store I work at. 
Aha, that makes sense.  <grumbles - not for the first time - about stores that put the instant potatoes, the pasta mixes, and the rice mixes in three different places>

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: June 11, 2011, 06:32:10 am »

For me they're Waxed Turnips (for the wax coating they're sold with) and Purpletop Turnips.  Rutabega was just another name for waxed turnips, just as Green Onions are another name for what I'd call Scallions.
Which doesn't really apply if one is encountering the rutabaga before it gets waxed, but could be very useful info when standing in the produce section trying not to be confused!

And, yeah, the onion/garlic family (I'm sure I've heard a collective name, but darned if I can remember it) - that's an even more convoluted thing.  Scallions and leeks and shallots, oh my!

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 11, 2011, 10:03:36 am »

Rutabaga: Brassica napus rapifera.

Turnip: Brassica rapa rapifera.

http://employees.csbsju.edu/ssaupe/biol308/Lecture/naming_mustards.htm

My grandmother adored rutabaga and despised turnip. I learned the difference very early in life. :-)

And then, there's kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea gongylodes). She loved that, too.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #51: June 12, 2011, 06:07:48 am »

Rutabaga: Brassica napus rapifera.

Turnip: Brassica rapa rapifera.

http://employees.csbsju.edu/ssaupe/biol308/Lecture/naming_mustards.htm

My grandmother adored rutabaga and despised turnip. I learned the difference very early in life. :-)

And then, there's kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea gongylodes). She loved that, too.

Oooooh - geekery!

Sunflower

Derek
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: June 12, 2011, 03:06:33 pm »

but could be very useful info when standing in the produce section trying not to be confused!

Comes from working at a grocery store.  They're actually 4745, 4811, and 4068 to me, lol.

Derek
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: June 12, 2011, 03:09:55 pm »

Aha, that makes sense.  <grumbles - not for the first time - about stores that put the instant potatoes, the pasta mixes, and the rice mixes in three different places>

It's a similar grumble to the catagorization of books.  Some things just fit into multiple catagories.  Add that to space issues...  Our crackers are in two different places.  Nabisco brand has to all be in the same place, but there's nowhere it will fit when combined with the other brands, so they're their own 15 foot section of shelf.

inksmudged
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 10:47:53 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: June 16, 2011, 01:00:23 am »

Hello! I'm in the market for simple vegetarian or pescetarian recipes that would make a good lunch for one. I am not a very practiced cook, but I would dearly love to learn.

So, any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

- Open faced veggie sandwiches. Toast whole-wheat bread, spread with mayonnaise, a thick salad dressing, or whatever you like, and throw your favorite veggies on top. My favorite is to spread mayo, top with fresh tomato slices and sprinkle with salt, pepper, dried basil, and grated parmesan. This is especially delicious if you swap the whole wheat bread for thin slices of baguette, or add a fried egg (or both, yum!). If you want to go the other way and make it super healthy, mix little (like 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp, depending on how you like it) minced or smashed garlic (again, roasted or raw depending on how you like it) into olive oil until you've got a relatively thin paste and spread that on the bread instead of mayo. This flavor is a LOT stronger, and becomes more about the garlic than the tomatoes and basil. If you're not a fan of garlic but still want healthy, just omit the garlic and use straight up olive oil, or nothing at all. A mix of olive oil and balsamic vinegar could be pretty tasty. Hmmm... I'm going to have to try that one...

- Hummus with feta and olives. Delicious! Hummus is pretty easy to make on your own, and it's easy to find recipes by a simple google search. But if you're lazy like me, you can buy pretty decent hummus from the grocery store. Spread a healthy layer of hummus on a plate and crumble feta over the top. Slice up kalamata olives and sprinkle them over the hummus and feta. Use as much of each ingredient as you like. I find 2:1:1 ratio for hummus:feta:olives works best. Otherwise the saltiness of the feta and the olives can be a bit overwhelming. Also - buy feta that's made from sheep or goat milk (not cow) and make sure it's packed in brine. Otherwise it will be flavorless and dry. Also, if Kalamata olives aren't available in your area (or if they're ridiculously expensive) buy a jar of black olives and green olives (a.k.a. Spanish olives, sometimes called manzanilla olives) and slice up an equal amount of each. Together they taste remarkably similar to Kalamatas, in my opinion (although a Greek chef would probably smack me for that). Eat the hummus with carrot sticks, cucumber slices, broccoli, whatever veggies you like. Also good on crackers, especially crispy veggie crackers like the kind Ritz makes.

- Veggie stir-fry. Already mentioned up thread, but worth repeating. Boil up some brown rice according to the directions on the package. Sautee your favorite veggies in some olive oil and a splash of red wine until tender (I love to keep them in the pan until they get crispy brown in some places. Sooooo good.) Don't let the pan get dry - if the olive oil burns off, add a little more, otherwise the veggies will burn. If you have it, drizzle in a little sesame seed oil over the veggies during the last couple minutes of cooking. It burns easily so you don't want to add it right away, but it leaves a really great flavor. Throw the veggies on the rice and drizzle wit your favorite sauce. You can't go wrong with soy sauce (but then, I love salt even more than cows do). Other great sauces - hoisin, duck sauce (not actually made from duck, so it's still vegetarian), brown garlic sauce, etc.

- Steamed or roasted veggies are also great on rice. For roasted veggies, heat your oven to 400 F. Drizzle the veggies with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with any flavorings you like (garlic, onion, herbs, spices) toss them so they're somewhat evenly coated. Roast in oven for about 20 min. Thicker, denser veggies (like carrots) may need a little more time, depending on how you've cut them. Once done, throw them on your rice. Sauces are good, whatever you like.

- Treat foods that are traditionally "side dishes" as meals. Lots of sides are vegetarian. Pastas with delicious sauces, flavored rices, beans, etc. My favorite indulgence is to have a plate full of mashed potatoes for a meal. Oooooh potatoes...

- Beans. They are very filling (tons of fiber and protein), very nutritious (tons of vitamins), and super versatile. You can make meat-free mexican dishes by replacing taco meat with pinto beans (or black or red beans, but I think they might be the same as pinto beans...?). Mix salsa of your preferred heat level with pinto beans and shredded cheddar, add a little shredded lettuce, some sliced tomatoes, black olives, and top it off with a dollop of Greek yogurt (tastes pretty similar to sour cream, and much healthier) and you've got yourself a taco salad. Beans are great for lots of other dishes, a quick google search will turn up tons of bean recipes.

- Some other recipes that are slightly more involved (but totally worth it, and not actually difficult) are: Quiche (there are tons of recipes online, but basically just throw some cheese and veggies into a pie crust, beat several eggs with a bit of milk, pour it into the crust and throw the whole thing in the oven for a while) and Frittata (basically a quiche, without the pie crust).

Phew. *puts tongue back in mouth* I have plenty more, but I'm starting to write a cookbook here. Hope you enjoy the recipes!

"Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea, drink the wild air." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: June 26, 2011, 07:03:18 pm »

Douse it all thoroughly in green goddess dressing (you can use ranch if you can't find green goddess, but the green stuff is definitely preferable for this sandwich).

Where do you find vegetarian Green Goddess dressing?  I've only ever seen it with anchovies in it.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: June 26, 2011, 07:15:08 pm »

Where do you find vegetarian Green Goddess dressing?  I've only ever seen it with anchovies in it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/green-goddess-chive-dressing/detail.aspx

That one doesn't call for anchovies. :-)

ETA: It does, however, call for Worcestershire sauce. Leaving it out will eliminate the anchovies present in the sauce (it does contain them, right? I think it does...)--and change the flavor somewhat, but at least you could get the vegetarian version you're after, I'd think.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:17:09 pm by Starglade, Reason: added info on Worcestershire sauce » Logged

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: June 26, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/green-goddess-chive-dressing/detail.aspx

That one doesn't call for anchovies. :-)

ETA: It does, however, call for Worcestershire sauce. Leaving it out will eliminate the anchovies present in the sauce (it does contain them, right? I think it does...)--and change the flavor somewhat, but at least you could get the vegetarian version you're after, I'd think.

Cool.  I wouldn't faze me in the least to leave the Worcestershire out; I hated that stuff even before I went veg.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)