The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 03, 2020, 04:28:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2020, 04:28:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Good site for MP3 downloads?  (Read 4308 times)
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 04, 2011, 03:11:01 pm »

I broke down and bought me a MP3 player.  Seems the only 2 stations that come in in our factory both play the SAME EXACT country songs ALL THE TIME!!! Driving me batsh*t crazy, it is.  Not even a country fan.  Cry

So anywho, I'm wondering what site is good for downloading songs, free or small service charge.  Also, I'm wondering if you can download things like blogtalk onto your MP3s? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 04, 2011, 04:42:00 pm »

I broke down and bought me a MP3 player.  Seems the only 2 stations that come in in our factory both play the SAME EXACT country songs ALL THE TIME!!! Driving me batsh*t crazy, it is.  Not even a country fan.  Cry

So anywho, I'm wondering what site is good for downloading songs, free or small service charge.  Also, I'm wondering if you can download things like blogtalk onto your MP3s? 

If you can get pandora radio on your player I would highly recommend that. Their site is www.pandora.com basically you list your favorite groups/songs and pandora tailors a radio station to your tastes, if you choose to skip a song it will make a note of it and modify the selections accordingly. It's great.

Aside from that I usually use Itunes most songs are about $0.99 though some of the popular songs range from $1.29-$1.49.

I haven't used rhapsody or any of the others as I'm more of an audio book addict except for the gym and yardwork Cheesy

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 04, 2011, 05:20:53 pm »

I usually use iTunes too. 

I was using Napster for awhile - www.napster.com - it's no longer free, but it has a monthly subscription deal if buying the music doesn't appeal.  With them you can download whatever you want, up to a certain number of songs I think.  But you have to log onto their site at least once a month so it can update your songs.  (There's a "drop dead date" written into the programming - if you let your subscription lapse, they'll no longer play.)
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 04, 2011, 07:42:42 pm »

Thank you both for your answers. Smiley 

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 22, 2020, 09:45:42 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 05, 2011, 10:40:17 am »

So anywho, I'm wondering what site is good for downloading songs, free or small service charge.
This should give you quite a few sites to try.

Any particular genre/style you're looking for?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 05, 2011, 10:58:12 am »

This should give you quite a few sites to try.

Any particular genre/style you're looking for?

Sunflower

Thanks. Smiley  Alternative rock, heavy or metal.  That's mainly what I listen too.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:16:16 pm by SunflowerP, Reason: fixing quote code » Logged
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 05, 2011, 08:24:27 pm »

Thanks. Smiley  Alternative rock, heavy or metal.  That's mainly what I listen too.
The country tunes must be driving you batshit!

My limited experience suggests that going for the free/legal DL sites that not-well-known artists often use to promote their work is especially a crapshoot in that genre range - it's a lot easier to avoid duds with, f'ex, folk music.  (And if you were into the Celtic, it'd be easier still; I'd just point you at Marc Gunn's Celtic MP3s site and let you go wild.)

I'll try to remember to post a few more links for you tomorrow - they might all be ones that are listed in the one I already gave you, but it'd be easier to just post them than to cross-check.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 05, 2011, 10:01:55 pm »

The country tunes must be driving you batshit!

I'll try to remember to post a few more links for you tomorrow - they might all be ones that are listed in the one I already gave you, but it'd be easier to just post them than to cross-check.

Sunflower

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Smiley

Yeah, it is driving me batshit crazy. Sad  Some days I'm just looking for the nearest wall to bang my head on.  Even worse, they play the same songs all the time! Then go to some national show that plays the same songs too, then back to the local that just repeats it all. WHY?Huh?? It's a conspiracy. I'm sure of it.

Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 05, 2011, 10:05:04 pm »

Yeah, it is driving me batshit crazy. Sad  Some days I'm just looking for the nearest wall to bang my head on.  Even worse, they play the same songs all the time! Then go to some national show that plays the same songs too, then back to the local that just repeats it all. WHY?Huh?? It's a conspiracy. I'm sure of it.

I used to work in an industrial laundry (supervisor was legitimately unhinged worst job in the history of mah life) and she would legitimately freak out and curse you out if you got near the radio. So we were all stuck listening to the same awful 'new' country station that simply rotated the same 20 songs all damn day! I feel your pain!

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Igor
Apprentice
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 12:15:23 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 06, 2011, 03:43:47 pm »

Personally, I usually just go direct to the artists' websites when I'm downloading.
I suppose that might not work for bands on the big labels though.

"Surely it is more interesting to argue about what the truth is, than about what some particular thinker, however great, did or did not think."
-David Deutsch
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 06, 2011, 05:22:20 pm »

Caveat:  It has been some years since I've been in a position to do any DLing myself (complicated story), so I can't speak for what these sites are like to use; some of them I've never used but are ones I've picked up and added to my bookmark collection since then, looking forward to when I could again.

I've included things like the Celtic MP3s site I mentioned for the benefit of others who might be picking up recs from this thread, though I'll note that it may not be completely out of your genre range, Dragonfly - there's likely to be some Celtic rock and Celtic metal.

Jamendo
Magnatune
fading ways music
SoundClick
PureVolume
The FuMP - Funny Music Project
Celtic MP3s Music Magazine

Igor's suggestion of going directly to artists' websites is a good one, but can be really time-consuming unless you already know something about who's likely to offer free songs and who isn't (for well-known artists, the ones who've publicly spoken out against excessive RIAA control - Offspring is one of the best-known - are likely to be a good place to start).

Sunflower

Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 06, 2011, 06:20:28 pm »

Igor's suggestion of going directly to artists' websites is a good one, but can be really time-consuming unless you already know something about who's likely to offer free songs and who isn't (for well-known artists, the ones who've publicly spoken out against excessive RIAA control - Offspring is one of the best-known - are likely to be a good place to start).

Sunflower

NIN is pretty cool about that IIRC Year Zero was offered in its entirety for free at one point (may still be).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)