The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 03, 2020, 12:21:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 03, 2020, 12:21:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: TC listed as an 'attack site' in FireFox  (Read 14609 times)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #15: June 05, 2011, 01:22:44 pm »

It really bothers me that this can effectively shut down access to entire sites without much due process. (I mean - on my own computer I have access to the security settings. On a public computer I do not...)

This is very, very true.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: June 05, 2011, 01:29:31 pm »

Also, some places take reports from anyone on the Net (and act without manually investigating them). We've had to gag a few people over the last couple of days. One of who make a point of saying he/she was an asshole. 
Hmm, I didn't think the self-described asshole had actually been gagged.

Given how many different browsers are affected, it does sound (to my non-techie self; I might well be evaluating this completely bass-ackwards) like this might be the issue.  And people are concerned about our possible vindictiveness?

Frankly, anyone who'd pull something like that is doing a fine job of displaying to the world that, no, we weren't being capricious; they really are a troublemaker whose preferred response to feeling thwarted is to escalate hostilities.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 05, 2011, 01:31:35 pm »

'Key, you can stop the warning from messing up the page, if you go in the 'Settings' and remove the check box for locking down attacking pages.

Thankyou! I was a little suprised to find a big red warning over _this_ site! Grin

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #18: June 05, 2011, 01:34:30 pm »

Thankyou! I was a little suprised to find a big red warning over _this_ site! Grin

Yeah, me too.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: June 05, 2011, 01:52:37 pm »

So, I hit 'show unread topics' and was redirected to a red warning page informing me that TC had been listed as an 'attack site'. Screenshot here: http://screencast.com/t/0mcfJNGw

Just to be sure I am downloading the entire web site and and will compare it with my copy on my machine. (Fortunately, I have software that can point out files with differences -- then all I have to do is check those manually as I sometimes update files on the website directly.)  This will take a while: A day at least.  Maybe longer as I have painting work to do tomorrow. Sad

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #20: June 05, 2011, 01:56:29 pm »

Maybe longer as I have painting work to do tomorrow. Sad

Damn, that you have to be bothered with this crap now.  Angry

catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 05, 2011, 02:06:21 pm »

Given how many different browsers are affected, it does sound (to my non-techie self; I might well be evaluating this completely bass-ackwards) like this might be the issue.  And people are concerned about our possible vindictiveness?

Sunflower

I got it too, and was wondering the same thing.

I disabled my site blocking thing, so I'm back in, but WTF?  And, it looks like the post I was writing at the time, posted when I hit preview. That's kind of odd too.
Jubes
Journeyman
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:34:54 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 05, 2011, 02:18:06 pm »

Just to be sure I am downloading the entire web site and and will compare it with my copy on my machine. (Fortunately, I have software that can point out files with differences -- then all I have to do is check those manually as I sometimes update files on the website directly.)  This will take a while: A day at least.  Maybe longer as I have painting work to do tomorrow. Sad

good plan, I think  some little grease monkey  is  just  being the a-hole they   claimed to  be and  it wouldn't surprise me  if they were  also trying to  crack staff  passwords, trying to gain access to your admin panel. I know  one  board I  was on years ago we  had  some  people  trying to  crack  out admin accounts so we set  our  logins  to  use  our  e mails instead of  our user  names, it was a nice little  feature on that  software.

Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: June 05, 2011, 02:24:53 pm »

It could also be an ad that is malware -- although the only ad network we use is Google's and you'd think they would check their ads first.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 05, 2011, 02:35:17 pm »

Lots of people are visiting this site with Firefox and not having this issue. Perhaps you have an extension or something turned on that the rest of us don't?

Further diagnostic info:

It was fine for me this morning up until about 12-12:30 Central Time, when hittning the 'show new posts' link brought up the warnings. No changes on my end any time recently. (I'm running Firefox 3.5 on a Mac) and I shouldn't be seeing ads anyway.

Disabling the warning in Firefox worked for me, though it's an option I'd prefer not to leave off forever, because the wide variety of searches I do for professional topics occasionally means I hit sites where I'd want the warning.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #25: June 05, 2011, 02:54:08 pm »

Further diagnostic info:

And from my end: Things worked fine a few hours ago, getting the warnings as well now. I note that when I compare the diagnostics tet to what FierFlye posted, it has changed:

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for www.ecauldron.net

What is the current listing status for www.ecauldron.net?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 8 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 5 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-06-05, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-06-05.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including rockstar1 DOT vv DOT cc /. [Edited by Randall]

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS21844 (THEPLANET).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, www.ecauldron.net did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

Return to the previous page.
    If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Note that they do say they're finding malware.

--Chabas
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:57:30 pm by RandallS, Reason: Change something to make it look less like a link » Logged
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 05, 2011, 03:08:31 pm »

--Chabas

What a pain! 

AntlerandHerb.com
Gelfling
Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2012, 12:23:19 pm

Religion: in transition

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 05, 2011, 03:16:10 pm »

And from my end: Things worked fine a few hours ago, getting the warnings as well now. I note that when I compare the diagnostics tet to what FierFlye posted, it has changed:

Note that they do say they're finding malware.

--Chabas

I'm getting that message too-- is there an easy way for staff to search for that domain (rockstar1. vv. cc, broken up so the board software can't make it into a link although if there's no http:// maybe it wouldn't anyway but better safe than sorry)  in avatars and sigs?

FF 4.0.1 for me, turned off blocking of attack sites but would like to turn it back on before too much longer.
Jubes
Journeyman
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:34:54 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: June 05, 2011, 03:38:02 pm »

I'm getting that message too-- is there an easy way for staff to search for that domain (rockstar1. vv. cc, broken up so the board software can't make it into a link although if there's no http:// maybe it wouldn't anyway but better safe than sorry)  in avatars and sigs?

FF 4.0.1 for me, turned off blocking of attack sites but would like to turn it back on before too much longer.

*wonders if there is a hidden code  in a signature?Huh *

just a suggestion but I would  be checking  codes  for  signatures and /or  any  links  in  profiles to  favorite/members  home  boards......

Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 05, 2011, 04:31:20 pm »

If you click on not a malware site or what not it takes you to a page where the page owners can appeal and ask for a review.

Still.

It's pretty knee jerk draconian to cripple access to a site -admittedly there are workarounds but still- without notifying tptb etc. I understand securit y concerns but dang

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)