The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 06, 2020, 09:06:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 09:06:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan Marketing?  (Read 1307 times)
r2squared
Journeyman
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:52:35 am
United States United States

Religion: not sure yet

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 07, 2011, 12:45:23 am »

Have you guys seen the websites that give away spells, and while mostly these spells are legit, the website itself is a little...how to put this...exaggerated, maybe? Basically, I'm calling out websites that feature over-the-top and larger-than-life illustrations of witches, some even with the typical pointy black hat, and I sort of feel as though they may lead a Seeker onto this path for the wrong reason.

I know this because I was that Seeker when I was very young. I remember believing in magic like most kids, but at a young age, I really took it to heart. I was OBSESSED with magic. I watched "The Worst Witch," "the Craft", and all kinds of sorcery-related shows as a kid. Going to websites like that gave me the impression that those the spells and rituals (which at the time I had no idea what I was dabbling in) would in fact make me levitate or make my hand glow. Obviously that's not the case.

Pagan and Witchy art are all acceptable to me in a fantastical or whimsical manner, and I have nothing against the images in self. Some of them are actually very well drawn or put together.  Hell, my friends and I sometimes even incorporate witchcraft elements in our fashion simply for glamor purposes. I can't help but wonder though - on a website that advertises extremely pagan/wiccan themes, do you think it's wrong or can be misleading to show images like that?

I'm on the right track, baby.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 07, 2011, 05:33:11 pm »

I can't help but wonder though - on a website that advertises extremely pagan/wiccan themes, do you think it's wrong or can be misleading to show images like that?

The question is - misleading of what?

A lot of the sites that are more over the top are selling the 'experience', or the 'witchiness' - not a deeper sense of spirituality, religious commitment, thorough magical knowledge, connection to natural cycles, or anything else along those lines.

The sites that are trying to do those things tend to be less graphic-intensive (and the ones there are tend to be more things like photos, graphics that also convey content in some way, or low-key in general.)

The trick for the reader (and seeker) is to learn to figure out the flash versus the solid content - always useful as a skill. I do think there's also an argument about "What image are we presenting to the larger community.", but I think it's a different conversation.

There's an explanation for our local Pagan Pride I wrote a few years ago that works well for a physical event, but not as well for an online setting, but that gets at some of this.

"At Pagan Pride, you may see people wearing a whole range of clothing. Many of us wear what we’d wear any other weekend – casual and comfortable mainstream clothing. However, you’ll probably also see some people wearing ritual robes, obviously Pagan jewelry or accessories, or fun Pagan t-shirts.

Pagan Pride is a time when people can wear these things in public without having to constantly explain what they’re wearing, and some people deeply enjoy this opportunity. In other cases, someone may be preparing to lead a ritual or workshop in which wearing a ritual robe is appropriate (or part of their regular practice) just as specific clothing is part of many other religious traditions."

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)