The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2021, 10:05:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2021, 10:05:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Writing a Spell - Is this acceptable?  (Read 2446 times)
r2squared
Journeyman
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:52:35 am
United States United States

Religion: not sure yet

Blog entries (0)

Timothy Bloodworth

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 07, 2011, 12:53:26 am »

I've been doing my homework on writing a spell. Most websites and other sources tell me to, of course, put a lot of thought into it and also to look towards other spells as a way of inspiration.

I've been wanting to make a spell for the longest time to help me become a better salesman so I can succeed in my job. I can't seem to find one anywhere that really hits me.

Now, what if I took a ready-to-use spell and just sort of modified around what I want and how I want to do it? Since magic is all about using things from nature and other external stimuli to really put our subconscious onto that level, what ever it may be at the time, is there anything wrong with doing that?

I'm on the right track, baby.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 07, 2011, 01:32:47 am »

Now, what if I took a ready-to-use spell and just sort of modified around what I want and how I want to do it? Since magic is all about using things from nature and other external stimuli to really put our subconscious onto that level, what ever it may be at the time, is there anything wrong with doing that?

I don't see the issue. I can understand wanting to stick to a tried-and-true recipe for anything really (especially when/if it involves time and money, because I'm not a fan of wasting either), but I think most things can be altered in some way or another to make a spell better fit the situation you are personally in, rather than a catch-all that was written by someone else.

For example, I'm studying hoodoo and it's heavily encouraged that once you become familiar with how the elements of rootwork work you tailor the spell to suit your needs, including mixing together oils, incenses, spoken words, symbols whatever. I don't think it's a matter of being specific, but rather making sure a number of issues are in play (for example: money coming into the house, getting a steady paying job, and working in a pleasant environment can all be accomplished by using a number of different oils. I'm not even including the incenses, floorwashes, and other things you can use), even if only a couple of them come through.

Of course if you work with a specific magical system, there might be rules for or against this sort of thing. But personally? I don't see any problems at all. When you're starting out it's hard to start from scratch, and magic has evolved over time due to people playing with the recipes written by someone else.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)