The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 11:33:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 11:33:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Children's Books  (Read 6536 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 07, 2011, 04:30:23 pm »

Thanks to my super short attention span, I've been rereading a lot of my childhood favorites lately. So I was wondering if you might be inclined to share some of your favorite stories!

I just reread The Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson, and I was pleased to find it as adorable and enjoyable as an adult as I did when I was a kid. It's kind of the proto-Harry Potter, one could say, and a quick and cute read.

I have a used copy of The 13th Floor by Sid Fleischman on its way to me that I am very much looking forward to- I haven't read it since early elementary school and I recall enjoying it a lot. It involves time travel, witches and history books, and pirates!

One of my staples is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, which I personally think should be required reading in high school at the latest. A timeless, wonderful adventure.

So, do you guys have any much beloved children's stories to share?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #1: June 07, 2011, 04:34:11 pm »

I loved 'A Wrinkle in Time' by Madelaine L'Engle.  I know she wrote other books, and I know I read them, but I can't currently remember any of the titles.

Most of the children's stories I was told were oral.  When I learned to read I pretty much raided my mom and dad's shelves (so adult science fiction and westerns).  I don't remember reading very many books that were specifically for children.

Most of the stories I was told were a peculiar form of familial 'fractured fairy tales' that left me trying to disentangle Hiawatha from Robin Hood as I grew up. Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 07, 2011, 04:38:23 pm »

They're new, but I find I ADORE Commander Toad.  Bad puns, spacefaring toads .. what's not to love?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 07, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - ... this is actually a kind of important book for me and I have no idea how to talk about it.  Transformative knowledge.  Also, how to live secretly in a museum.

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver (setting up my lifelong fondness for Eleanor of Acquitaine).

Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 07, 2011, 05:18:36 pm »

Ooh, so many! What age group are you looking for? I list a few of the writers that I have read (or was being read) time and again and I consider them timeless and not being tied to national boundaries.

In the younger group (2-4 years I think?) Arnold Lobel's 'Frog and Toad'-series are very enjoyable.
Roald Dahl also has wonderful stories for younger readers, and slightly older as well (up to age 9 or so).
Then they could advance into Harry Potter (any which way you go about it, they are great stories.)

But I'd also like to recommend some translated literature.
Starting with Michael Ende's Neverending Story. 'Momo' is another of his books and also very enjoyable. (Translated from German)
Astrid Lindgren (Swedish) has written Pippi Longstocking. I didn't actually like that series, but other of her books are very nice reads. Depending on the books age 5 - 12. (Those are the only books listed here that I wouldn't consider rereading for its own sake, they were very compelling when I was a child but don't have much to offer beyond that. The other books do, in my opinion.)

Sadly another great german writer seems not to have been translated: Klaus Kordon, who wrote very touching books various political situations (pre- and postwar germany for example, and also about a girl living in a village in India.) Those are a bit more serious and more involved in society.

Tomorrow when the war began (series) - John Marsden (Australian) This one I am currently rereading.

And finally some patriotic pride, some excellent Dutch books:
Tonke Dragt: The letter for the king (other books don't appear on amazon and might not have been translated to English.) For ages about 9
Thea Beckman: Crusade in jeans. (Agegroup about 14)
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 07, 2011, 07:37:08 pm »

L. Frank Baum's Oz books, he wrote like 14 and then some other authors wrote some more.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were children's Books to me, I read them for the first time when I was 7 or 8.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 07, 2011, 09:51:40 pm »

I reread all my childrens books but some favourites are:

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy Boston. ( The whole series is good but that one is my favourite.)
101 Dalmations by Dodie Smith. NOT the diney books but the actual novel.
Ballet Shoes by Noel Streathfield. (Maybe thats why I don't consider it stange to bring home stray children?)
The black cauldron series by LLoydd Alexander.

There is of course so many more but those are my favourites.
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 07, 2011, 11:12:19 pm »

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - ... this is actually a kind of important book for me and I have no idea how to talk about it.  Transformative knowledge.  Also, how to live secretly in a museum.

That was one of my favourites too, along with The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and The Secret Garden.
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 08, 2011, 02:41:40 pm »

I love this book!  I also have a secret (guess not so much now that I'm mentioning it) fondness for re-reading the Little House books.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 08, 2011, 03:39:54 pm »

I love the Harry Potter books. In fact, I love them so much (and have read them so often) that I'm going to write my PhD thesis about them  Wink

Other than that, most books I read as a child were by German authors, so you probably won't know them. My favourite one for a long time - and incidentally, the one who got me interested in the Egyptian and Norse myths - is Wolfgang Hohlbein; he writes fantasy for children and young adults, mostly a kind of urban fantasy, though he's written some high fantasy, as well. But I started on adult literature fairly early (Stephen King, Dean Koontz and the likes).

I also loved a few old books that have been handed down from my mum and dad and that they loved when they were young. Basically these are sort-of picture books with little rhymed stories in them; mostly I don't really remember the stories at all, but the images still speak to me.

The book I loved most, however, is one that contains bed-time stories from around the world. There are German fairy tales in them, and also the story of Demeter and Persephone (my adult self is not too happy with it being referred to as a fairy tale, but then again, otherwise I might never have gotten to love it so dearly). I don't even know if it's still available; the copy I have now (my old one was lost at some point) I bought at a garage sale.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 08, 2011, 11:24:05 pm »

I love the Harry Potter books. In fact, I love them so much (and have read them so often) that I'm going to write my PhD thesis about them  Wink

Other than that, most books I read as a child were by German authors, so you probably won't know them. My favourite one for a long time - and incidentally, the one who got me interested in the Egyptian and Norse myths - is Wolfgang Hohlbein; he writes fantasy for children and young adults, mostly a kind of urban fantasy, though he's written some high fantasy, as well. But I started on adult literature fairly early (Stephen King, Dean Koontz and the likes).

I also loved a few old books that have been handed down from my mum and dad and that they loved when they were young. Basically these are sort-of picture books with little rhymed stories in them; mostly I don't really remember the stories at all, but the images still speak to me.

The book I loved most, however, is one that contains bed-time stories from around the world. There are German fairy tales in them, and also the story of Demeter and Persephone (my adult self is not too happy with it being referred to as a fairy tale, but then again, otherwise I might never have gotten to love it so dearly). I don't even know if it's still available; the copy I have now (my old one was lost at some point) I bought at a garage sale.

I like Harry Potter too, so much I've started borrowing terminology from the series that was made up for it and applying it to my own adventures in witchcraft and wizardry, I've been trying my best to use the "mainstream" terminology here but I'm afraid something like "I'm learning how to do Occlumency" instead of "I'm learning how to do psychic protection"... I'm thinking about reading it for the 3rd time and may even start that tonight, I just watched the first five movies because that's all I have right now so I'm in that mode.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
woodhick
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 03:34:42 pm

Religion: old pagan

Blog entries (0)

sawoodhick

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 09, 2011, 08:43:35 pm »

I loved 'A Wrinkle in Time' by Madelaine L'Engle.  I know she wrote other books, and I know I read them, but I can't currently remember any of the titles.

I love that book too, in fact, I reread it a short time ago! That and a book called the Little White Pony were my favorite. I don't know the author, but when the library was having a sale of old books I went to try and buy it and someone beat me to it.....Sad

I am a nerd and read a lot of books that were will above my age when I was little, like Tommy Knockers, the Hobbit, MacBeth, etc....

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 09, 2011, 08:51:00 pm »

A Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorites as well. Also Watership Down by Richard Adams. Love the movie from the late 70s too. John Marsden's Tomorrow Series scared the pants off me when I read it. I think I was roughly 13 or so. At the time Saddam was acting up again and I waas convinced that something terrible would happen over Christmas break from school. The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix is probably YA but it's one of my absolute favorites, he also has a stand alone called Shade's Children that's really interesting. Like most others have said I skipped most children's books or don't remember them/they weren't favorites and latched onto YA books when I was quite young then just started reading whatever I liked Smiley

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 09, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »

One of my staples is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, which I personally think should be required reading in high school at the latest. A timeless, wonderful adventure.

One of my favorites too!  Cheesy

Many have already been named, and honestly since I read so much children's and young adult fiction, it's difficult to remember what I read whn I was actually smaller, but here are some:

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (my avatar should really give that one away)
The Hobbit
The Secret Garden
The Once and Future King (I don't think I actually got past The Sword in the Stone part for a long time though--I seriously thought that was the end of it!)
A Little Princess
American Girl series (yeah, yeah shaddup)
Prydain Chronicles
Anne of Green Gables
A Wrinkle in Time

I didn't read Watership Down or The Neverending Story until I was a bit older, but those two books are pretty much at the core of who I am today, along with Lord of the Rings.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
mhorighan
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 03:33:17 pm

Religion: Gnostic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 09, 2011, 10:51:21 pm »

One of my favorites too!  Cheesy

Many have already been named, and honestly since I read so much children's and young adult fiction, it's difficult to remember what I read whn I was actually smaller, but here are some:

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (my avatar should really give that one away)
The Hobbit
The Secret Garden
The Once and Future King (I don't think I actually got past The Sword in the Stone part for a long time though--I seriously thought that was the end of it!)
A Little Princess
American Girl series (yeah, yeah shaddup)
Prydain Chronicles
Anne of Green Gables
A Wrinkle in Time

I didn't read Watership Down or The Neverending Story until I was a bit older, but those two books are pretty much at the core of who I am today, along with Lord of the Rings.

Harry Potter and Twilight!!!!!!!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)