The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 12, 2021, 10:35:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2021, 10:35:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Children's Books  (Read 10302 times)
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 09, 2011, 11:36:34 pm »

So, do you guys have any much beloved children's stories to share?
My absolute favorite as a little girl was The Velveteen Rabbit by Marjorie Williams.

I also loved The Secret Garden, Chronicles of Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time but they've already been mentioned.

Favorite children's stories I've discovered as an adult would be Harry Potter, and Phillip Pullman's Golden Compass (the trilogy gets progressively worse from there, IMO - The Subtle Knife wasn't bad, Amber Spyglass was unreadable.)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 09, 2011, 11:57:07 pm »

My absolute favorite as a little girl was The Velveteen Rabbit by Marjorie Williams.

I also loved The Secret Garden, Chronicles of Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time but they've already been mentioned.

Favorite children's stories I've discovered as an adult would be Harry Potter, and Phillip Pullman's Golden Compass (the trilogy gets progressively worse from there, IMO - The Subtle Knife wasn't bad, Amber Spyglass was unreadable.)

I want to read that series of books, I saw the Golden Compass movie and thought it was pretty cool, but I have yet to get the books.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 15, 2011, 02:47:48 pm »

That was one of my favourites too, along with The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and The Secret Garden.

Duuude!  I'd totally forgotten about Witch of Blackbird Pond!  I loved that book. Cool

I liked Boxcar Children and the American Girl books, too (I think the most recent ones I read were the Addy series), as well as Anne of Green Gables and Little House.  And I loved this one series of children's encyclopedia's...I can't remember what they were called, I just remember that there was a tiny little boy with a black bowl hair cut and green and white outfit who would hold up a magnifying glass on some of the illustrations, or would tell you little factoids related to that page.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 15, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »

Duuude!  I'd totally forgotten about Witch of Blackbird Pond!  I loved that book. Cool

I liked Boxcar Children and the American Girl books, too (I think the most recent ones I read were the Addy series), as well as Anne of Green Gables and Little House.  And I loved this one series of children's encyclopedia's...I can't remember what they were called, I just remember that there was a tiny little boy with a black bowl hair cut and green and white outfit who would hold up a magnifying glass on some of the illustrations, or would tell you little factoids related to that page.

I totally forgot about the American Girl books!  I read all of them, and owned most.  Felicity was my favourite.

I was also really into The Baby-Sitter's Club books as well.
Tahpenes
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 11:18:36 am

Religion: River-worshipping fox-hugging trancer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 15, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »

For younger kids, I really like Zen Shorts and Zen Ghost (Zen Ties and The Three Questions are, IMHO, not quite as good). Right now my (precocious) five-year-old is obsessed with the Magic Tree House books.

For tweens/teens, I think that Owl in Love deserves a shout-out. When I was about 10 I was obsessed with the Harper Hall of Pern trilogy (though now I re-read them and wonder what the hell I was thinking, but they still keep a special place in my heart).
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 15, 2011, 03:58:17 pm »

I was also really into The Baby-Sitter's Club books as well.

... How could I forget about The Babysitter's Club, The Boxcar Children, Sweet Valley High, and Goosebumps? Shocked

::hangs head in shame::

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 15, 2011, 04:27:10 pm »

... How could I forget about The Babysitter's Club, The Boxcar Children, Sweet Valley High, and Goosebumps? Shocked

How could I forget Sweet Valley HighHuh?  Not to mention Nancy Drew

::Also hangs head in shame::
Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 15, 2011, 05:01:12 pm »

How could I forget Sweet Valley HighHuh?  Not to mention Nancy Drew

::Also hangs head in shame::
I was one of those kids who desperately wanted to be horsey, so I plowed through everything that Marguerite Henry wrote. King of the Wind is still one of my all time favorite children's books. Then I went through The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley, and moved on to Jim Kjellgard's Big Red series of dog books.

I also loved Heidi by Johanna Spyri, and a lot of Louisa May Alcott's books - Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom. I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until college.

I also got my hands on every collection of fairy tales and mythology I could find. My favorite was a collection of Norse fairy tales called East of the Sun and West of the Moon. I loaned it to someone and never got it back and I could just kick myself.

In between those, I read my dad's collection of Louis L'Amour novels.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: June 16, 2011, 10:33:57 am »

Bunnicula!  I can't believe I forgot Bunnicula!

Vampire rabbit, what's not to love?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 16, 2011, 11:03:01 am »

The Story of Ferdinand, by Munro Leaf.

"And for all I know he is sitting there still, under his favorite cork tree, smelling the flowers just quietly. He is very happy."

I still can't read that without tearing up. It's not sad at all--it's beautiful in its simplicity, IMO. "To thine own self be true" for children (and children who've grown up but not old).

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 16, 2011, 02:19:00 pm »

Oooooh, I'd forgotten Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High.  And I can't believe I forgot Goosebumps!

Oh, and Star Trek novels.  I remember some of the first books I bought with my own money were Star Trek novels from Pamida.  The cover of Memory Prime stuck in my head for years because it was gone by the time I had the money for it... ah, childhood books. Cheesy

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 16, 2011, 04:51:54 pm »

I re-read Nancy Drew every time I go to my parent's house and can access my collection again. Also Boxcar Children and Bobbsey Twins.  I adored Runaway Marie Louise as really young child.
Nixie
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 27, 2011, 04:03:43 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 27, 2011, 01:56:11 pm »

The Chronicles of Narnia.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)