The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 16, 2017, 02:03:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 02:03:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sun Deity: the Aten.  (Read 5004 times)
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am
United States United States

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 23, 2011, 05:59:21 am »

I've always been kinda curious as to how Aten came to be. Did he always exist? Or did the (in some cases, forced) belief in him as a Netjer result in him spawning from Netjer (the One or what have you)*?

* Not entirely sure if this is a KO thought, or an actual ancient belief, in that there is a... unifying force of deity and it's called Netjer, and all Netjer are apart of it/come from it.

While I don't know if the ancients used the word netjer to solely refer to this unifying force, we do see this feature of believing in a one source where millions generate from it in ancient thought- specifically with Theban theology with Amun-Re being the source (aka rational henotheism).  This is a feature of Middle Kingdom to late thought, whereas the idea of differentiated polytheism (aka proto-rational henotheism), or that is, the idea that even though there was a one in the Nun, once time and space existed he/she was always surrounded by its retinue, thus never being considered a One, is a feature that starts from Old to Middle.  However, we do get many different ideas in Egypt of who the ultimate is, and who created what, so in the end it's up to your personal experience.  I don't understand where KO gets this idea of monolatry, however.

If you'd like more info you can check out the discussion I had with setnakht on this thread starting from response 70: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=13283.60

I also wrote a blog entry explaining more about ante-rational henotheism here: http://perbastemhet.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/ante-rational-henotheism/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 23, 2011, 11:21:41 am »

I don't understand where KO gets this idea of monolatry, however.

I think academically speaking, monolatry is because the deities can interlink and be a form of one another.  Syncretic deities too play a role here. 

There is an excellent essay on the two main thoughts of AE divinity in The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt by Richard Wilkinson   

Rev. Siuda also has an academic paper on divinity in AE too although I can't seem to find it at the moment. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Bastemhet
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 23, 2011, 11:43:07 am »

I think academically speaking, monolatry is because the deities can interlink and be a form of one another.  Syncretic deities too play a role here.

The definition of monolatry is worshipping one god exclusively while recognizing the existence of others.  I don't agree with the word monolatry for what she is describing.  I would call it rational henotheism, and I explained why in the other post as well as gave a run down of how we can understand it in the Kemetic context.

I would appreciate you pming me the paper if you ever find it, thanks.

SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 23, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »

The definition of monolatry is worshipping one god exclusively while recognizing the existence of others. 

That's the definition of Henotheism. 

Monolatry is believing in many deities as separate and unique while recognizing their Oneness. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 23, 2011, 07:08:40 pm »

I would appreciate you pming me the paper if you ever find it, thanks.

I believe this paper is available from the website for $10.00.  I still can't find the link to it. 

SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 23, 2011, 07:29:01 pm »

I believe this paper is available from the website for $10.00.  I still can't find the link to it.  

Found it:   http://www.kemet.org/lectures/onemany-1.html

You can read an excerpt and then you click the link at the bottom to pay for the paper.  It's a lecture from a paper given at the ARCE in 2001.  Here is the link to buy the paper and lecture. http://www.kemet.org/lectures/onemany-3.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:32:22 pm by SatAset » Logged

Bastemhet
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 24, 2011, 05:48:01 am »

That's the definition of Henotheism. 

Monolatry is believing in many deities as separate and unique while recognizing their Oneness. 

I think we may be getting confused on our definitions here, because I got that definition of monolatry from wikipedia.  IŽll write you a PM because I think weŽre starting to get off topic here and I donŽt want to derail the thread any further.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)