The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 12, 2021, 10:02:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2021, 10:02:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Heathen Celebrations/Holidays  (Read 7200 times)
Geroth
Apprentice
Last Login:August 08, 2017, 03:57:25 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Agnostic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 09, 2011, 03:22:18 am »

Hi again guys,

This is probably a stupid question but, what are the major Heathen celebrations? How many of you attend or participate in them and what generally happens on those days celebration wise?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 10, 2011, 09:45:56 pm »

This is probably a stupid question but, what are the major Heathen celebrations? How many of you attend or participate in them and what generally happens on those days celebration wise?
No stupid questions! Different groups celebrate different holidays... but generally you've got the soltices, Yule (the most important holiday!) and Midsummer, and the equinoxes, Ostara or Summer Finding and Winter Finding. The equinoxes you might see called different names, I believe.

A lot of folks celebrate Einherjar, which honors those fallen in combat, and Freyfaxi, which celebrates the first harvest and Frey. I have yet to celebrate either of these two.

Some groups have days honoring Norse heroes, celebrate on the full moons, etc. Like I said, it varies, but the aforementioned ones are the common ones, as far as I know (being solitary Wink lol).

The major rituals for Asatru folks are blot and sumble. You can see a pretty good explanation of blot here: Part 1 and Part 2. And here's a video about sumble. That one is kind of rambling and I haven't watched the whole thing, I'll admit, but it looks good!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #2: June 11, 2011, 06:04:29 pm »

Hi again guys,

Honestly, if you are speaking purely historical the only three celebrations for which we have actual documentation from primary sources, are Midsummer, Yule, and Winter Nights. However, it is not at all difficult to imply many more celebrations based on local folk lore, secondary source corroboration, etc. Keep in mind as well, that you are free to create your OWN holy-days based on what is locally significant to you and your community. When I lived in New Mexico, my Kindred there celebrated the harvesting of the green chile crops every year. I'm fairly certain the vikings had never heard of green chiles, and thus would not have celebrated their harvest Smiley

Remember, our ancestors got around a LOT, and were a very pragmatic and practical people. We in NM would celebrate Winter Nights on the night of the first frost (or as close to it as we realistically could). This came substantially later for us than other groups, it being in the desert southwest of the United States. And you, being in Australia, would celebrate it on the exact opposite side of the year even from us.

Certain celebrations always take place on the same dates. Solstices and equinoxes are the same worldwide, for example. But their focus may be very different. For us, winter solstice is the middle of your summer. So I don't think it would be appropriate for you to run around praising snow and winter when it's 100F outside you door. My point being, feel free to research and come up with your own celebrations that are meaningful for *you*, not just what some musty old tome tells you. Always keep an eye to what our ancestors held important and how they observed their holy-days, to maintain that ever-important connection to our past, but don't get stuck in it.

Lokabrenna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 03, 2012, 09:14:37 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Goddess-oriented Pagan with Vanic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 13, 2011, 12:35:32 pm »

Honestly, if you are speaking purely historical the only three celebrations for which we have actual documentation from primary sources, are Midsummer, Yule, and Winter Nights. However, it is not at all difficult to imply many more celebrations based on local folk lore, secondary source corroboration, etc. Keep in mind as well, that you are free to create your OWN holy-days based on what is locally significant to you and your community. When I lived in New Mexico, my Kindred there celebrated the harvesting of the green chile crops every year. I'm fairly certain the vikings had never heard of green chiles, and thus would not have celebrated their harvest Smiley

Remember, our ancestors got around a LOT, and were a very pragmatic and practical people. We in NM would celebrate Winter Nights on the night of the first frost (or as close to it as we realistically could). This came substantially later for us than other groups, it being in the desert southwest of the United States. And you, being in Australia, would celebrate it on the exact opposite side of the year even from us.

Certain celebrations always take place on the same dates. Solstices and equinoxes are the same worldwide, for example. But their focus may be very different. For us, winter solstice is the middle of your summer. So I don't think it would be appropriate for you to run around praising snow and winter when it's 100F outside you door. My point being, feel free to research and come up with your own celebrations that are meaningful for *you*, not just what some musty old tome tells you. Always keep an eye to what our ancestors held important and how they observed their holy-days, to maintain that ever-important connection to our past, but don't get stuck in it.

My opinion is basically what Bob said.

I live in Canada (Southwestern Ontario, actually) and while everyone else was celebrating Ostara/Eostre/Easter I certainly wasn't in the mood to celebrate the beginning of spring when there was SNOW on the ground! Then again, I was pretty sick of the snow at that point, so maybe I could have celebrated in anticipation of spring coming along and the snow melting.
Friskin
Apprentice
Last Login:July 13, 2011, 05:02:00 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Northern Tradition Shamanic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 21, 2011, 05:38:13 am »

My opinion is basically what Bob said.

I live in Canada (Southwestern Ontario, actually) and while everyone else was celebrating Ostara/Eostre/Easter I certainly wasn't in the mood to celebrate the beginning of spring when there was SNOW on the ground! Then again, I was pretty sick of the snow at that point, so maybe I could have celebrated in anticipation of spring coming along and the snow melting.

I too live in SW Ontario, and know exactly what you mean. I love that first really warm day of the spring, when the sun is hot enough you don't need a coat, but there are still snowbanks here and there. It's like nature promising that summer is on it's way.
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 21, 2011, 12:56:06 pm »

I too live in SW Ontario, and know exactly what you mean. I love that first really warm day of the spring, when the sun is hot enough you don't need a coat, but there are still snowbanks here and there. It's like nature promising that summer is on it's way.

But it lies!  You have that nice warm day, then get hit with another snow storm. 

I only celebrate two holidays regularly.  Yule and Midsummer.  Others depend on what is happening and if I remember.
Friskin
Apprentice
Last Login:July 13, 2011, 05:02:00 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Northern Tradition Shamanic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 22, 2011, 07:04:18 am »

But it lies!  You have that nice warm day, then get hit with another snow storm. 

I only celebrate two holidays regularly.  Yule and Midsummer.  Others depend on what is happening and if I remember.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do to celebrate Midsummer?
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 24, 2011, 08:03:15 am »

Just a simple blot, with an offering of beer to the landvaettir. 

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 24, 2011, 08:04:13 pm »

I did this:

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 24, 2011, 10:46:58 pm »

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 25, 2011, 12:01:19 pm »

*laughs* Cheesy
Wait, why? lol.

Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 25, 2011, 12:11:52 pm »

Wait, why? lol.

Oooh! Haha. I thought you meant you did "this" = blank quote = nothing. Which made me chuckle. I just now thought to click on the quote link and saw the earlier post so...nevermind. Smiley
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: June 26, 2011, 10:48:06 pm »

Oooh! Haha. I thought you meant you did "this" = blank quote = nothing. Which made me chuckle. I just now thought to click on the quote link and saw the earlier post so...nevermind. Smiley
Ah, gotcha. haha. Tongue

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)