The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 01, 2020, 02:35:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 02:35:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dysfunctional families of origin  (Read 5740 times)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #15: June 13, 2011, 05:15:00 am »

You know, just if it doesn't defeat the purpose of the thread, I'd like to know how you cope with trying to cry in public and/or trying to apologize.

I'm asking because especially with apologizing I only realize a long time after the fact that what I should have done is just go up to the person in question and say "I'm sorry for doing/saying x". With my fiancé it's fairly easy to accomplish since we both live together, but, say, if I had an argument with a friend, I find it so difficult to call him/her and put things right...

It really takes time to get over the internalized pattern.
You just take on the things you see around you as a child.  Roll Eyes

I usually feel very uncomfortable, get a bit tied up and finally realize that now I really should re-think how to act.
It gets better with time, you start to see earlier when the pattern tries to take hold and sometimes you can stop it right there.

It's a lot of work to 're-programm' yourself tho' and you need a lot self-observation.
I work a lot with divination, like in: why am I feeling now like this? What is the reason behind what I've done?
And journaling, oh the tons of pages full of babbling, lol.

Helped me, your mileage may vary of course.  Smiley

Concerning crying in public... what do you mean with 'public' exactly?
I don't like to show everybody that just crosses my path how I feel, it's non of their business.

But if it is something severe, like when my dog had to go into a dangerous surgery, you bet I gave shit about someone see me crying in the vet's clinic. In fact me and my SO sat there crying.

I believe it has something to do with allowing yourself to be 'weak', soft, hurt and sore sometimes.
You don't need to be strong and keep up appearances all the time.

In fact think about it this way: most people around you don't give a damn about how you feel. They won't care and they won't help.
So why play the strong one, so just that they don't feel a bit uncomfortable or annoyed by the fact that you are a human, with emotions? *shrugs*

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 13, 2011, 06:57:44 am »

Concerning crying in public... what do you mean with 'public' exactly?
I don't like to show everybody that just crosses my path how I feel, it's non of their business.

When I said "public" I didn't mean out on the street - cause I really don't give a damn what strangers think about me - but more in the sense of "when I'm with friends and aquaintances". I know that my friends love me for who I am, but still I find it very difficult at times to show them when I'm upset, especially when it's something immportant to me. If that makes any sense.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 13, 2011, 07:59:18 am »

My father was English, and my mother grew up in the UK, and they have the stereotypical British issue with anything emotional. But I always knew I was loved.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my (English) SO, where I'd been talking about missing my siblings and hugging them etc.

Me: You mean you don't hug your siblings?

SO: No. *shudder*

Me: Well do you tell them you love them?

SO: It's not that kind of relationship really. It's implied.

Me: So what do you guys do when you meet??

SO: Well...we shake hands...

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 13, 2011, 08:29:53 am »

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my (English) SO, where I'd been talking about missing my siblings and hugging them etc.

Ha! I'm much the same way. I really, really hate being touched at all and only a few people are in my hugging bubble. (My parents, a few very close friends, that's about it.) I baffle everyone I meet, apparently. Grin

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Tiki
Journeyman
Last Login:June 02, 2013, 12:05:10 pm
United States United States

Religion: Discordian

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 13, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »

You know, just if it doesn't defeat the purpose of the thread, I'd like to know how you cope with trying to cry in public and/or trying to apologize.

I'm asking because especially with apologizing I only realize a long time after the fact that what I should have done is just go up to the person in question and say "I'm sorry for doing/saying x". With my fiancé it's fairly easy to accomplish since we both live together, but, say, if I had an argument with a friend, I find it so difficult to call him/her and put things right...

Learning to apologize has been difficult for me, but the more I do it the easier it gets. I think it's especially important with my kids. If I'm wrong, I want them to know that I made a mistake and that I am sorry.
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 13, 2011, 03:13:21 pm »

Ha! I'm much the same way. I really, really hate being touched at all and only a few people are in my hugging bubble. (My parents, a few very close friends, that's about it.) I baffle everyone I meet, apparently. Grin

I'm a bit of a contradiction in this respect. I hate being touched by anyone who is not in my hugging bubble (great way of putting it Cheesy) and I can't stand it when people I barely know want to hug me.The thing that I hated most about being pregnant was that the whole world suddenly thought my tummy was public property and that it was totally acceptable to touch my bump!

BUT I'm very affectionate with the people in the bubble. I love hugs with my family and close friends and I hug my daughter many times a day. It's one of my favourite things to do.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: June 13, 2011, 06:36:17 pm »

I'm a bit of a contradiction in this respect. I hate being touched by anyone who is not in my hugging bubble (great way of putting it Cheesy) and I can't stand it when people I barely know want to hug me.The thing that I hated most about being pregnant was that the whole world suddenly thought my tummy was public property and that it was totally acceptable to touch my bump!

BUT I'm very affectionate with the people in the bubble. I love hugs with my family and close friends and I hug my daughter many times a day. It's one of my favourite things to do.
Doesn't sound contradictory to me - but then, I'm the same way.  I don't care to express affection when I don't feel affection; that just trivializes it.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 14, 2011, 01:40:55 am »

Makes perfect sense to me. I hug noone except for my wee one who is still only 5 and my little sisters who are still children. I have to hug my older sister too but I hate it as it feels like a gross violation of my personal space.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)