The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 20, 2021, 08:55:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2021, 08:55:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Long Live the Queen! Ayaan Hirsi Ali on Sir Salman Furor  (Read 3068 times)
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 24, 2007, 08:15:05 pm »

Long Live the Queen! Ayaan Hirsi Ali on Sir Salman Furor

Yet again, a furor is sweeping across the Muslim world because Queen Elizabeth knighted the infidel, Salman Rushdie. Who more appropriate to comment on what it all means than a fellow infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the Somali-born activist on behalf of the rights of Muslim women who was also a member of the Dutch Parliament? Her memoir is entitled Infidel.

Personally, I think quotes like this are awfully damned telling: 

"The West is accusing Muslims of extremism and terrorism. If someone exploded a bomb on his body    he would be right to do so unless the British government apologizes and withdraws the 'sir' title."

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 24, 2007, 10:39:50 pm »

I agree completely with this from the last part of this editorial: 'With this episode involving Sir Salman, as with so many of late, the Nigerian playwright Wole Soyinka is absolutely right: It is a fatal mistake for the West to let the forces of intolerance "define the territory of insult." The West must stand its ground.'

Exactly. They have free speech too (at least as far as we are concerned) so have the right to bitch about things like this, but the West must NOT allow the voices of intolerance to dictate what we do. It is not wrong to like or even honor someone just because the voices of intolerance are going to scream.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 24, 2007, 11:04:29 pm »

It is not wrong to like or even honor someone just because the voices of intolerance are going to scream.

Damn straight!  I've never read the Satanic Verses myself, but now I plan to ASAP, just because.  'Smatter o' fact, if I owned a bookstore, I would order a whole damn pallet and have a sale on it, just because I can.

In fact, the part of me that likes to piss off sef-rightous asshats wants very badly to mail a copy to everybody that bitched.  Especially people in the Pakistani government, but really everyone that demanded an apology.  I'm fighting off the urge to make a cartoon as we speak... <insert demonic grin>

And in related new, I just came across this:

Rushdie honour breaks UN code, says Pakistan
Pakistan has told Britain that Salman Rushdie's knighthood breaches a United Nations resolution aimed at calming tensions between different religions, The Observer has learnt. The highly unusual warning was made during a meeting with the British High Commissioner in Pakistan and reveals the extent to which senior Pakistani politicians fear the award will damage relations between the countries.

I find myself very proud of the British government at this moment; they're showing a damn sight more intestinal fortitude than our government would, under similiar circumstances.  But then, I personally would tell Pakistan outright to piss off.  I mean, it's not like the people in your country who would be pissed about your doing so aren't already pissed.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 25, 2007, 08:36:09 am »

Damn straight!  I've never read the Satanic Verses myself, but now I plan to ASAP, just because.  'Smatter o' fact, if I owned a bookstore, I would order a whole damn pallet and have a sale on it, just because I can.

As far as I know, few if any of the Muslims condemning the book have read it. Ayatollah Khomeini, who issued the fatwa against Rushdie and anyone else who worked on the novel, reportedly had not even seen it, let alone read it. I've read it and don't see anything that offensive in it -- personally, I suspect Khomeini was less offended by the "Satanic Verses" reference (which is an old story in the Islamic world) than by an Imam character who was obviously based on Khomeini.

The book would have died a quiet dead (as it is not great. IMHO) had there not been all the fireworks from intolerant people.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 25, 2007, 11:57:54 am »

As far as I know, few if any of the Muslims condemning the book have read it.

IME, that's usually the case.  I'm never quite sure whether it should amuse me, or piss me off.  Usually, it's a little bit of both.  It reminds me of Book-a-Minute's snide entry on Harry Potter.   Cheesy

The book would have died a quiet dead (as it is not great. IMHO) had there not been all the fireworks from intolerant people.

Are any of his books particularly good?  Because if not, why did he win a buncha prizes for The Satanic Verses?  I mean, I know less-than-deserving books win prizes sometimes, but there's usually a reason, like the author's rep.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 25, 2007, 01:16:41 pm »

It reminds me of Book-a-Minute's snide entry on Harry Potter.   Cheesy

Yay for snarky common sense!

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
Pyperlie
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 26, 2007, 10:49:34 am »

Yay for snarky common sense!

I love that site; it's usually pretty damn funny.   Cheesy

Btw, that little cougar of yours is adorableCheesy What's his/her name?

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

-----Richard Feynman

----Sarah Williams
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 26, 2007, 12:20:20 pm »

Btw, that little cougar of yours is adorableCheesy What's his/her name?

Actually, he's one of the standard avatars, so I have no idea.  Ask Randall, maybe.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 26, 2007, 06:02:04 pm »

Actually, he's one of the standard avatars, so I have no idea.  Ask Randall, maybe.

Don't ask me -- I have no idea. LOL.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)