The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 06:11:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 06:11:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cleansing Rituals Without Burning?Is It Possible?  (Read 20169 times)
cottoncandyhorror
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 10, 2011, 12:43:08 am
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 11, 2011, 07:38:14 pm »

A friend of mine needs her house to be cleanse, but we will not be able to use any form of burning techniques. I was wondering are they any other ways to go about cleansing the house without the use of burning? So far from a quick look at google and smudging was an option, but myself and another fellow pagan are a bit wary of the smudging techniques.

Thanks Tons

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 11, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

A friend of mine needs her house to be cleanse, but we will not be able to use any form of burning techniques. I was wondering are they any other ways to go about cleansing the house without the use of burning? So far from a quick look at google and smudging was an option, but myself and another fellow pagan are a bit wary of the smudging techniques.

Thanks Tons

I've read about using water as a cleansing mechanism. You can steep appropriate herbs in the water separate the herbs and sprinkle the water through the area or even put it in a spray bottle.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 11, 2011, 07:51:06 pm »

Thanks Tons

I am bit confused as to how smudging doesn't count as burning. What kind of burning do you mean?

In addition the water Asch suggested, you can also sprinkle salt around the home. (Inside and out.) Another option is to make a lot of racket (bang pots and pans, chant loudly, shout) in order to drive out the unwanted energies.

When I did my house cleaning we had burning sage, water being sprinkled, salt being sprinkled, and lots of racket. We began at the bottom of the house and worked our way up, removing the unwanted energies with the noise and smoke, and then working our way back down, blessing the house. I had a chant for the removal of any negative energies, and then another one stating the things I did want in my home.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 11, 2011, 09:18:22 pm »

First, it might help to know why you're wary of smudging. (Some people have allergies, some people are concerned about cultural appropriation, some people are nervous about anything that has to be lit by a flame... the useful solutions for each are a bit different.)

As others have said, there are a bunch of other options. My usual preference is to banish unwanted energies first (banishing), and then add in a bunch of wanted energies (blessing). Two-step process, in other words.

Step 1: Banishing
My favorite methods for banishing involve:
- a really good physical cleaning, including a thorough sweeping/vacuuming

If I'm doing a really serious cleaning (spring and fall house cleaning, moving into a new place, etc.), I will use some energetic cleaning techniques as part of the physical cleansing: some salt in the wash water, spraying a mix of water, salt, and appropriate essential oils as part of cleaning (lemon, orange, mint, or rosemary are all pretty inexpensive, and smell nice), or sprinkling a mix of salt, baking soda, and a few drops of appropriate essential oils and vacuuming it up.

(There are lots of website recipes for both sprays and carpet powders out there; I'm on a lousy 'net connection right now, so am not giving examples...)

Do the floors. Do the windows. Do the sinks. Cleaning out the sinks with a mix of baking soda, vinegar, and water is great. (Cup of baking soda as much down the drain as you can. Cup of vinegar follows. Let sit for half an hour, pour a quart of boiling water (or really hot water, anyway) down. It's fine for any public-provided water supply, and I think also totally safe for septic systems.

Energetic banishing can be done using a broom (moving the energy, not moving dirt: sometimes they're the same thing, but not always), a chime, clapping, or a number of other techniques. (If you talk about what you're comfortable with/your background is, people can probably make some more suggestions.)

Smudging (carrying a bundle of sage, sweetgrass, etc. around from place to place) is generally considered banishing, as well. I tend not to use it both due to the fact it comes from a religious tradition not so directly related to mine, and  due to asthma issues: I'm less reactive to specific brands of incense, or an oil burner.

Step 2: New energy
Things I've used include:

- Creating consecrated water (salt, water, a verbal and energetically appropriate blessing). I like singing, but speaking one's fine too.

- Sprinkling the water around the space (possibly followed by using incense, or an oil burner carried around the space with scents that feel like blessing to you).

Another option besides incense would be to put some mulling spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, ginger, orange, lemon) in water or apple cider (apple cider's awesome, because you can drink it when you're done) and warm it on your stove/slow cooker. (Those spices all have pretty strong correspondences in various magical traditions with prosperity, abundance, well-being, etc.)

But in general, filling the space with a scent that feels clean, refreshed, but 'homey' to your friend is the idea.

- Finally, I generally go around with that consecrated water, and sprinkle with an asperger all around the place. (If, like me the first time I heard this, you are now going "What's an asperger when it's at home?" the answer is "It's a little thing you flick water around with." There are pre-made ones, but a couple of short clumps of pine needles, or a few sprigs of rosemary work really great - tie them together with a bit of ribbon or yarn, and use them to flick. You can also just use your fingers.)

I then go around and outline the entire door (and ideally the windows, but this is sometimes less practical) with sacred water, and then draw a protection sign of my choice (pentacle, spiral, something else appropriate.)

You should know that if you do this, you (and maybe other people) may see a glimmer reflection from the lines of the symbol long after - unless, of course, you draw it and then wash that bit of the window after (a cloth lightly soaked in the same sacred water works fine.)

I then go and pour a little of the consecrated water down every drain and other place where things go in or out of the house (your washer or dryer drain/vent included)

- I usually finish by putting on a playlist of songs that make it feel like a happy, refreshed, clean, happy place to be - either songs that make me just very happy, or songs that are appropriate for my overall goal. I then bop around the house tidying and rearranging little things while the playlist is going (30 minutes or so is great) and/or sit down and do something that's deeply connected to how I want to live my life in that space (a meal with close friends, working on art/music/writing/whatever.) for a while

And, on the other side, I'm careful to avoid stuff I don't want in my space for the next few hours to a day - I'm really attentive to what I'm watching in terms of movies/TV shows, what I'm reading, how I treat my home, etc. I've found that doing so (doing the dishes immediately, cleaning up after myself, etc.) immediately after a thorough cleansing of this kind helps me set a much better pattern for long-term care and love of my living space.

I've got a bit more info (including some books I like on related topics) on my website at http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/keeping-a-sacred-space/ that might also be helpful.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
yarnwitch
Apprentice
Last Login:August 31, 2011, 10:00:24 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 11, 2011, 10:51:36 pm »

Energetic banishing can be done using a broom (moving the energy, not moving dirt: sometimes they're the same thing, but not always), a chime, clapping, or a number of other techniques. (If you talk about what you're comfortable with/your background is, people can probably make some more suggestions.)
I've read about this somewhere! I guess what I mean to do by commenting is saying that if I know it as a newcomer, it may be very effective.

Also, if you're into more eastern magic, look into mirror magic (i think that's the right term?) and feng shui. I know when my aunt would come to stay, she had to set up mirrors strategically in the room she was staying in.

Solvitur Ambulando~ or "When in doubt, Walk it out!"
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 12, 2011, 01:26:52 am »

I've read about this somewhere! I guess what I mean to do by commenting is saying that if I know it as a newcomer, it may be very effective.

Also, if you're into more eastern magic, look into mirror magic (i think that's the right term?) and feng shui. I know when my aunt would come to stay, she had to set up mirrors strategically in the room she was staying in.

If I recall correctly part of the racket of Chinese New Year is for similar reasons.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
celtic_fire
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 11:21:31 pm

Religion: Nature Based Witch (Pagan)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 12, 2011, 01:39:58 am »

Being more nature based, I prefer to use ocean water and sprinkle it around (clockwise) with an asperger. Sweeping in ritual is another way. Keep it simple!
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 12, 2011, 04:52:28 am »

Hi, celtic_fire,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 14, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »

A friend of mine needs her house to be cleanse, but we will not be able to use any form of burning techniques. I was wondering are they any other ways to go about cleansing the house without the use of burning?

A really good sweeping of all the rooms - sturdy brooms and strong motions. I'd start in the basement if there is one, sweep up to the middle floor and then top up to the top and sweep down. Once all the dirt and debris is gathered on the entry floor - sweep it solidly out the door. And off the steps - don't let it stay on the steps or you'll just track it back inside.
Tahpenes
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 11:18:36 am

Religion: River-worshipping fox-hugging trancer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 14, 2011, 05:04:56 pm »

If I'm doing a really serious cleaning (spring and fall house cleaning, moving into a new place, etc.), I will use some energetic cleaning techniques as part of the physical cleansing: some salt in the wash water, spraying a mix of water, salt, and appropriate essential oils as part of cleaning (lemon, orange, mint, or rosemary are all pretty inexpensive, and smell nice), or sprinkling a mix of salt, baking soda, and a few drops of appropriate essential oils and vacuuming it up.

This is very similar to what I do.

If I want to do a general cleansing/banishment, I end up using a lot of salt. Salt along the threshold of the door, salt along the window-sills, and salt sprinkled on the pipes if I'm being really thorough/careful about it. I also usually tie up garlic, and clean off and rehang (or hang for the first time, if it's a new place) any pictures of my family's guardians.
FairyWhispers
Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 03:01:22 am

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 14, 2011, 10:57:25 pm »

Thanks Tons

Wash the windows and any drains with sea salt water.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 15, 2011, 01:44:00 am »

If I recall correctly part of the racket of Chinese New Year is for similar reasons.

Not sure where I read this, but we do it every New Year's eve.  Go through the house banging pots and pans, blowing noisemakers and making lots of noise to drive the bad energies from the old year out and bringing good in. Smiley We've been doing this since my daughter was liiiiitle. Smiley It's a family tradition she still enjoys.

Sabine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:46:56 am

Religion: Christian in faith, Pagan in practice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 15, 2011, 08:03:19 am »

Not sure where I read this, but we do it every New Year's eve.  Go through the house banging pots and pans, blowing noisemakers and making lots of noise to drive the bad energies from the old year out and bringing good in. Smiley We've been doing this since my daughter was liiiiitle. Smiley It's a family tradition she still enjoys.

This is all great! We're fixing to move to a new house at the end of the month and I was just coming on here to ask for different cleansing techniques that don't involve smudging/smoke. The scent of burning sage gives me a mammoth headache and I loathe the scent of smoke lingering in the air.

Thank you all so much!

Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 16, 2011, 04:35:29 am »

A friend of mine needs her house to be cleanse, but we will not be able to use any form of burning techniques. I was wondering are they any other ways to go about cleansing the house without the use of burning?
There is always a way.

The ones that come to mind:

A purely energetic cleansing with no material components whatsoever.  Just raising energy and directing it towards cleansing the house.

A besom.  The broom is a tried method for ritually purifying a space, and one long associated with witchcraft.

Water.  This one should be obvious, though clearly you don't want to soak the ENTIRE HOUSE.  As someone suggested though, sprinkling a little throughout should suffice for a ritual.

Salt.  Salt is considered a cleansing agent in many rituals.  You could sprinkle salt.

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
Fagan_the_Pagan
Master Member
Last Login:February 11, 2012, 04:39:54 am

Religion: Ecclectic Bard

Tá tine sna ceann orm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 16, 2011, 04:38:36 am »

Clearly I didn't read this thread very carefully (read: past first 2 or 3 posts) as it turns out everything I suggested had already been said.  Oh well.

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people."--Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)