The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 05:37:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 05:37:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The (alleged) evolution of Odin  (Read 6927 times)
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 14, 2011, 01:28:58 am »

Now that's just a creepy image. Sad  Am I the only one who remembers this B movie where this hand creeps along killing people? I can't remember the name, just remember watching it as a child.  Creepy. Sad

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082497/

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 14, 2011, 02:38:13 am »

Tyr's hand is just gone, it's not an all-moving hand or anything. Smiley

I tell my friend that Tyr's hand is in her closet and that it comes out at night to poke her. Just because I know it creeps her out just thinking of a hand in there.
Mark C.
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 12:03:15 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen of as yet undefined specificity :-)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 14, 2011, 04:35:15 am »

The only thing that makes up for this is the fact that Odin didn't lose an eye in the same sense that Tyr lost a hand. Odin's eye is more powerful and see's further now in Mimir's well. Tyr's hand is just gone, it's not an all-moving hand or anything. Smiley

Good point! That's an interesting distinction.

Mark.

”But when [religion] gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble” - Joseph Campbell
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 14, 2011, 08:56:00 am »

Yup, I think that's the one. Sad When you're 12 that's really creepy. lol
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 14, 2011, 03:11:07 pm »

I tell my friend that Tyr's hand is in her closet and that it comes out at night to poke her. Just because I know it creeps her out just thinking of a hand in there.

Ha!  Grin

This reminds me of when I watched Paranormal Activity 2. Before being heathen I was easily freaked out by horror movies but when watching Paranormal Activity, and realizing that this demon wasn't really a part of a heathen worldview , kind of killed it for me. Then I also pondered how if there were a demon like this it might just be a pissed off wight, or maybe a draugr and they just needed to cut it's head off. Wink

Anyway, my point is that it's fun to see scary tales (such as Tyr's disembodied hand  Shocked) that are from the heathen worldview rather than a christian western one- even if we are just screwing around in this thread. Smiley
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: June 14, 2011, 03:40:44 pm »

I actually thought they were talking about this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138510/

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Friskin
Apprentice
Last Login:July 13, 2011, 05:02:00 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Northern Tradition Shamanic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 21, 2011, 05:33:01 am »

The only thing that makes up for this is the fact that Odin didn't lose an eye in the same sense that Tyr lost a hand. Odin's eye is more powerful and see's further now in Mimir's well. Tyr's hand is just gone, it's not an all-moving hand or anything. Smiley

Just adding some food for thought to the conversation:

Most early cave paintings depict animals, not humans. The few human-looking figures who do appear tend to be either half-man/half-beast, or wounded in some way. This is consistent with what we now know about global shamanic practices and the traits common to most of those traditions.

I bring this up because Odin was primarily a god of the berserkers. Shapeshifting is a common belief among shamanic cultures. It is quite possible that Odin is a remnant of some very early tribal beliefs. Even at his most popular, he was primarily a god of magic (runes), and trance work.

The wounds on the people in the cave paintings tended to be with a spear through their side, or damage to their left eye (considered a sign of intense spirituality even in the bronze age.) Obviously spears and wounded eyes directly correlate with what we know about Odin. I'm not saying that these paintings depict an early form of Odin, but rather, they depict early shamanic practices that are later recognizable as being connected to Odin.

The people who claimed Odin as their primary god tended to be kings, priests, poets, and the berserkers. People on the fringes of society identified with him. Thor was more a god of the people. He represented might and protection. If your life depended on your ability with a sword or hammer, Thor makes for a perfect choice. Odin is all about mystery. Of the four groups I mentioned as following him, three would be more likely than the common man to have had some form of education (not neccessarily literacy). The fourth were a different form of warrior than the others around at that time, and would have utilized the gifts Odin might bestow on them. All four would be interested in the Mysteries and hidden wisdom of Odin.

I don't think these gods overshadowed one another, so much as they served different purposes. Depending on the era, one might have outshone another for a period of time, depending on what was going on in the region, and who was writing the history books at the time.

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 21, 2011, 09:43:38 am »

I actually thought they were talking about this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138510/

No, that one is too new.  The first one should be right.  I was about 12/13 when it came out (1981).  It was so creepy watching the hand creeeeep across the floor after an unsuspecting victum.   Undecided  Course, now it would probably be just corny. Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)