The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 31, 2020, 11:53:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 31, 2020, 11:53:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are you psychic?  (Read 4060 times)
Katefox
Apprentice
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 11:08:52 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Theist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 15, 2011, 01:08:59 am »

Just curious...
Do you consider yourself pscychic? And if so, how much -- if any -- does your religion enter in to it? I mean, do you call on spirit guides to help you "see" or do you wing it according to what you feel intuitively? How does it work for you? Is it consistent? Do you use tools (like runes, tarot, numerology. I Ching, etc.) or what?
As of now, all attempts to train myself to have psychic abilities have failed.  This may be because I'm just not psychic, or because I get bored and stop when I don't see any discernable results right away.  I have a set of ESP cards I made myself in highschool, and every once in a while, I remember I have them, and take them out and play with them for a couple of days, trying to sort them by the shapes on the cards without looking at them.  So far, though, I'm firmly within the realm of probability in how many cards I guess right.  And then I get bored, and put my cards away again, until something reminds me I have them, and the cycle repeats. xD  I think the idea of having psychic powers just captures my imagination, which is why I keep coming back to them.

I also used to entertain the notion that I was an empath.  However, now I think it's simply that I pick up on different emotional cues than most other people, namely being mostly blind, I rely more on tone of voice, than on facial expressions (the nuances of which I really can't see), and possible just read people in a more intuitive manner, no special psychic power required to explain it.

I've had very occasional dreams that came true, and moments of intuition, that sort of thing, but as it's not the least bit consistant, I don't count that as being psychic.  They are things that can be accounted for by coincidence (or in the case of my dreams, were things I was worrying about when I was awake, and it just happened one of the scenarios I dreamed about came true).

I don't really do any divination, or have any divination tools.  Probably if I were to take up some form of divination, it would be the I Ching just because it appeals to me most.  I find Tarot artistically interesting (it would an interesting challenge to draw pictures that captured all the symbolism of each card), but I don't really have any interest in learning it as a divination tool.

My religion, such as it is currently, doesn't really enter into it.  At least, psychic implies, to me, purely mental powers, not communicating with outside forces.  So as soon as I started calling on spirits to give me guidance, or something similar, then I'd be doing something that would no longer be psychicness, as I define it.  Spiritual entities are sort of classified as religious or magical in my head, so if I was working with spirit guides, I'd be doing something religious, or magical, but not psychic, if that makes sense.  But then, I'm not interested in communing with spirits of any sort anyway.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Phoenixgoddess
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 17, 2011, 08:30:57 am
Australia Australia

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 15, 2011, 04:56:00 am »

Hi Pheonixgoddess,
First, I should clarify that bit of mine that you quoted, there. Looking back at it, I realize it doesn't make much sense. That's what I get for posting when I'm tired. If in fact, I do have some kind of guide, she  doesn't fit any of the descriptions I've heard for "spirit guides". Sure, she's probably some kind of spirit, since I can't see her, but "spirit guide", just doesn't fit.

I have to disagree with this. I do think that some people might be psychic. However, others might only have a low level intuition thing going on. I wouldn't call that being a psychic. I think, to be truly psychic there has to be a certain amount of consistency and/or control. Occasional strong feelings, or the random prophetic dream just doesn't cut it in my book. We all have different strengths.

Also, I don't think it's imposable for some people, or maybe even most people to have a spirit guide, however, I don't believe that everyone has one. Case in point, me. At least, not going by what I know of them from other people and what I've read.

Yes, I've heard that they're super enlightened beings, dead relatives, ancestors, and even angels. If I do have a guide, I get the very strong impression that she's none of these things. She's something else. I definitely don't get the feeling that she's a super enlightened being who's been assigned to me. More like, someone who took an interest in me and helps me out occasionally.

This sounds as if your saying that there must be something wrong that needs to be fixed. That's just a little insulting and it's simply not the case. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with blocked chakras, control issues, or any of that stuff. It could just be that not everyone is psychic, or that some of us don't have "spirit guides". Or, some people just don't believe in them in the first place. We're not broken, just different from you.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is your belief based on your experiences. And, I think these things may true for some people. However, we don't all have the same beliefs and experiences. I'm sure there are people here that think I'm a complete nut case for even considering that I might have a guide at all. And that's okay, we just have different experiences Wink

Hi Catherine, I didn't mean to insult you if I have I am sorry.
everything I have said i my post is what my guide has told me on many occasions when I have asked these questions.

I guess you are right about some people having psychic experiences now and again, and that being and working as a psychic are different. yes def it is a control/consistancy thing, but I believe and have had many experiences teaching that abilities can be developed.

I always find that it is a matter of trusting, making sure all chakras are balanced and clear, because unless they are then you will always have random esperiences that don't make sense.

My guide is very forceful in saying that everyone has a guide, in what ever name you wish to give them. eg guardian angels, fairies,celtic goddesses or gods, etc etc etc. though in the end it is up to you if you wish to work to your highest good even without being a psychic.

If you have read many books you will know this to be true.
I guess its really up to the individual who may or may not have much ability or low level ability to find a good teacher who starts at the begining and goes baby steps to help the person develop thier skills.

There is much more to it than just reading a book on auras or guides and I believe this is where people get into trouble with negative entities because they don't know about proection, they just invite anything and everything in
Opening your channel properly and be willing to working with spirit is the basis of a becoming good psychic who can recieve information consistantly and accuretly.

"Always be yourself... because the people that matter, don't mind and the people that do mind, don't matter".
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am
United States United States

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 15, 2011, 10:21:45 am »

I guess you are right about some people having psychic experiences now and again, and that being and working as a psychic are different. yes def it is a control/consistancy thing, but I believe and have had many experiences teaching that abilities can be developed.

I'm not saying that abilities can't be developed. I'm saying that they can't all be developed to the same degree. This is true for many things in life. For example, many people are talented dancers. However, not everyone is as talented as Mikhail Baryshnikov. They can practice and train until their feet bleed, but they'll never develop that same level of talent. Then, there are other people who will end up tripping over their own feet no matter how many classes they take, because they simply have no talent for dance at all. I think the same is true for psychic abilities.

My guide is very forceful in saying that everyone has a guide, in what ever name you wish to give them. eg guardian angels, fairies,celtic goddesses or gods, etc etc etc. though in the end it is up to you if you wish to work to your highest good even without being a psychic.

Here's the thing, I believe that gods and goddesses are just that, gods and goddesses. Not something else. They're not interchangeable with fairies, angels, or whatever. They're Gods and Goddesses. If Your beliefs are different from mine, that's fine. However, just because I don't agree with you or your guide's interpretation of who and what They are, doesn't mean that I'm not "working to my highest good" in my own way, just as you are working toward yours.

No, what's true for you doesn't necessarily have to be true for me. That's like a Christian saying that if you've read the bible, then you would know that your guide is really a demon.

I guess its really up to the individual who may or may not have much ability or low level ability to find a good teacher who starts at the begining and goes baby steps to help the person develop thier skills.

Going back to my dance analogy, I could be taught by Baryshnikov himself. However, that still doesn't guarantee that I would ever develop the same level of talent and skill that he has.

There is much more to it than just reading a book on auras or guides and I believe this is where people get into trouble with negative entities because they don't know about proection, they just invite anything and everything in

Yes, there is much more to almost everything in life than just reading a book about it.

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with the negative entities thing. Just because someone deals with different entities than you do, in a different way than you do, and understands them differently than you do, doesn't mean that the entities in question are negative or that the other person is somehow ignorant of protection techniques.

I think the idea that everyone can be a psychic and know their spirit guides if only they're willing to open their chakras, give up control, trust, find balance, or whatever else is setting people up for failure. It also implies that those who aren't psychic, don't know their spirit guides, don't believe they have one, or simply don't believe in any of this to begin with, are somehow less enlightened, ignorant, inexperienced, or less spiritually aware than those who do.

My point is, there are many different ways to approach spirituality, religion, magical practices, etc. Your way works for you, mine works for me. I'm not telling you what to believe or dismissing your experiences in any way. I'm saying 1) my experiences are different, 2) don't expect everyone to have had the same experiences that you've had, 3) don't expect everyone to hold the same beliefs that you do, and 4) don't assume that because our beliefs and experiences are different, I'm somehow doing it wrong. Or that I'm blocked, haven't read enough books, am dealing with a negative entity, must have control issues and so on.

We just have different beliefs.
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 15, 2011, 02:15:48 pm »

As Catherine said, for me Gods and Goddesses are divine beings, who are not interchangable with other divine beings by different names (I'm a hard polytheist, btw), fairies or other creatures from different belief systems - my religion doesn't even have any angels in it, and I don't think Thor would be too happy if I tried to swap Him for one  Wink

If you read a lot of books, quite often you come up with zillion different answers. The Bible forbids divination, while esoteric practices allow it, just for starters.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
outlaw393
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:31:17 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 15, 2011, 03:49:36 pm »

Just curious...
Do you consider yourself psychic? And if so, how much -- if any -- does your religion enter in to it? I mean, do you call on spirit guides to help you "see" or do you wing it according to what you feel intuitively? How does it work for you? Is it consistent? Do you use tools (like runes, tarot, numerology. I Ching, etc.) or what?

Yes, I do consider myself psychic. I don't have a religion. I don't believe in spirit guides. I won't go into details because if I do I will undoubtedly be called crazy. I used to use runes and tarot, but neither really worked for me. I still use crystals.

Cheesy
Celtag
Journeyman
Last Login:August 26, 2014, 10:53:11 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan/Welsh Recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 15, 2011, 08:13:47 pm »

Just curious...
Do you consider yourself pscychic? And if so, how much -- if any -- does your religion enter in to it? I mean, do you call on spirit guides to help you "see" or do you wing it according to what you feel intuitively? How does it work for you? Is it consistent? Do you use tools (like runes, tarot, numerology. I Ching, etc.) or what?

I would call it being psychic, I consider myself to be a sensitive. I am sensitive to energy, be it people that are alive, or people that have passed on. I am also sensitive to certain places like, houses, buildings, cars, stuff like that.  I can sense when people have bad energy or good energy, just as in places as well. The only bad thing about it is it can rub off on me, especially bad energy, and I start getting in a bad mood, or start getting angry for no apparent reason other than the energy from another person or place.
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 15, 2011, 08:31:42 pm »

I'm not saying that abilities can't be developed. I'm saying that they can't all be developed to the same degree. This is true for many things in life. For example, many people are talented dancers. However, not everyone is as talented as Mikhail Baryshnikov. They can practice and train until their feet bleed, but they'll never develop that same level of talent. Then, there are other people who will end up tripping over their own feet no matter how many classes they take, because they simply have no talent for dance at all. I think the same is true for psychic abilities.

That is a perfect analogy! And it totally sums up how I feel about the subject myself. I've been doing magic and divination now for nearly fifteen years, and in all that time my psychic sensitivity has improved... to a degree. That's it. A degree. I'm about as psychic as a bag of potatoes on a normal day and I'm fine with that.

We aren't all cut out to be dancers, and we aren't all cut out to put on black turtlenecks and tell studio audiences about their dead relatives or whatever.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)