The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 05:11:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 05:11:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: New Board Progress Reports  (Read 11346 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 11:13:29 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: June 19, 2011, 12:21:34 pm »

More Soon.

Some more features on the new Board:

Friends: You can "friend" other members in your profile. Like on Facebook the other person has to accept. You can also just listen them as a "contact" in your profile -- that's one-way so they do not have to accept.  There is an optional activity feed mod that lists the last X things your friends have done on the board. We'll probably try that, although if it turns out to be too server intensive, it might have to go. You can see one version of this on the test board now (in profiles).

Links: We'll have a "Link Directory" where regular members can list their personal weblogs and web sites -- with descriptions. You'll no longer have to get me to add your weblog to the list.

Bookmarking: You can bookmark threads here on SMF today. With the new vBulletin board, you can bookmark threads and individual posts and access your Settings area.

Ignore Forums: We've added a mod that allows members to ignore forums they are not interested in, but it works differently than the one here on SMF. The one here completely hides forums -- if you add a forum to your ignore list it disappears completely. If you want to follow a link to a message on that forum, you have to go remove the board from your ignore list before you can enter the board to see the message. The mod on vBulletin only removes messages from the ignored forums from the "unread messages" lists. The forums remain in the forum list and you can follow links to them, you simply don't have new messages from those boards in your "unread messages" lists.

More Moderation Options: With vBulletin we will have a few more options for dealing with problem members. A member can be put in moderation which means ALL that members posts are held in a queue until they are approved by a staff member (when they will appear on the board). We can also ban a member from posting a specific thread.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: June 19, 2011, 06:28:42 pm »

Ignore Forums[/b]: We've added a mod that allows members to ignore forums they are not interested in, but it works differently than the one here on SMF. The one here completely hides forums -- if you add a forum to your ignore list it disappears completely. If you want to follow a link to a message on that forum, you have to go remove the board from your ignore list before you can enter the board to see the message. The mod on vBulletin only removes messages from the ignored forums from the "unread messages" lists.

Is there any way to ignore specific threads, rather than a whole forum?

(I apologize if you've already addressed this question.  I've been trying to catch up with all the threads that have gotten away from me while I was feeling so crappy, but might well have missed something.)

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: June 19, 2011, 07:19:01 pm »

Is there any way to ignore specific threads, rather than a whole forum?

No. You can ignore users or ignore forums. There isn't any way to ignore threads. That's a much requested addition, but no one has written a mod to do this.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Jubes
Journeyman
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:34:54 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 19, 2011, 10:40:40 pm »

No. You can ignore users or ignore forums. There isn't any way to ignore threads. That's a much requested addition, but no one has written a mod to do this.

I highly  doubt that  they will  make a  mod that would  be able to  ignore a  thread  only, I haven't looked at the code for the  ignore  forums but I would assume it  goes on  a forum id number,that is generated when the forum is made and it's  part of the  main board, so a code  written to grab a forum id  and tag it as ignored by  a user would  be easy. Threads also have  individual  thread  id  numbers but they are not  part of the  main board, they would  be thread id  numbers under a forum  id  number. SO a code would have to  first  grab the  forum ID then  somehow be able to  dig thru all the tread id's  in that forum to grab the thread ID that the  use wants to ignore. Sounds simple but  it's not as easy as it sounds. Alot of the codes  are  manually imputed  to certain areas  of the  board and  require manual input of certain things, like  colors for users  names/groups, id  numbers for threads/users/boards, so it's possible that  if a  code was  made to ignore threads someone would have to  manually  input all  thread id's  in to the  code  in the  admin panel so that the  code would  recognize  the  thread by it's  id number. This  would  be the most likely  reason  no one  really wants  to or has  bothered to  write a mod to  ignore threads  only.  Smiley

Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: June 20, 2011, 06:14:25 pm »

Actual Progress: The new board is open to staff now.

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: June 20, 2011, 09:44:00 pm »

I've moved the discussion of a possible Subscriber-only area (as suggested by Light) to its own thread: ADMIN: Should we have a Subscribers Only Area?

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: June 22, 2011, 11:24:23 am »

Update: With mlr52's promised donation next week, we have enough for the Pro Version of the Vaultwiki mod. This is great as it will add a lot of great features to our forum.

With mlr52's donation today, We have enough to purchase Vaultwiki Premium. I've done so and did a basic install on the test board. Many of the new features are not set up there, but i did add the "pages" to social groups and they work fine.  Thanks to everyone who donated for this feature!

Randall
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: June 26, 2011, 04:37:30 pm »

Progress is being made, but it is no longer the interesting stuff (new features and mods), but the boring stuff.  Boring Stuff like:

1) All the various forums are in place. SIG Leaders are there and setting up their SIGs.

2) I finally figured out how to add Religion and a country flag to the "postbit" (the info that appears to the left of your posts.

3) Social Groups categories have been set up.

4) The new Wiki is set up and enabled for social groups.   SIGs will be about to have their "own wiki" as well if they want one. The Cauldron as a whole will also have a Wiki.  Vaultwiki is very nice. Very hard to figure out from the admin/setup end, but very nice once you get past that.

5) The CauldronMUX Flash client is present and working.

Etc. Etc. Etc.  (Small and boring details -- but stuff that has to be done before the board can open).

The board will probably be "Semi-open" to some current TC members (our regulars) within a day or two. We still aim to open for real on July 1st, although that may fall back a day or two if the world gets really busy on me this week.

Randall
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: June 26, 2011, 05:09:44 pm »

3) Social Groups categories have been set up.

*checks*

Nice.  Each category is broad enough to encompass many things and there are enough of them to cover pretty much every kind of group imaginable.

*begins planning the set up of my two pet groups for when the time comes to create them*

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: June 28, 2011, 08:33:03 am »

The board will probably be "Semi-open" to some current TC members (our regulars) within a day or two. We still aim to open for real on July 1st, although that may fall back a day or two if the world gets really busy on me this week.

There may be a delay here. Elvis (our puupy mill foster dog) isn't feeling well. We spent Monday morning at the vet and he woke us up at about 4 this morning. I never got back to sleep. So I don't know how much I will get done today, either.

Randall
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 28, 2011, 09:09:14 am »

There may be a delay here. Elvis (our puupy mill foster dog) isn't feeling well. We spent Monday morning at the vet and he woke us up at about 4 this morning. I never got back to sleep. So I don't know how much I will get done today, either.

Oh no! Poor Elvis.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 28, 2011, 10:15:45 am »

Lots of love for Elvis. Sad

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 28, 2011, 10:25:00 am »

Poor Elvis! Sad I hope he feels better and you guys get some sleep tonight!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #28: June 28, 2011, 11:13:07 am »

Awww... don't worry. Elvis first. Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.