The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 02:39:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 02:39:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Symbolism and Suggestions  (Read 24508 times)
yarnwitch
Apprentice
Last Login:August 31, 2011, 10:00:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 19, 2011, 12:39:09 am »

Thank you to everyone who helped with my previous question, first off.
Secondly, as a result of that, I feel I've been told to search my past for clues. If anyone would be willing to help me with some identification it would be super.

In my past, I felt a strong closeness with moths. I don't know what this means. They still will just sit calmly on me all the time. I have to make a big effort to shoo them away, but they come to me very easily. (As a knitter, this is bothersome, but they haven't touched my yarn in the past 5 years... so perhaps its safe?)
I recently got over a fear of mirrors with the help of therapy. I had a few fall onto me unprovoked, and would see unfamiliar things in them. I don't think I would go out of my way to try any reflective divination because of this.
I've always had deep personal connections with cats, but I feel this might be normal for a lot of people.

I can grow plants from seeds whereas my family members cannot. I dont know if this is terribly significant.
When I was 8, up through until I went away to college, I would hear the cabinets banging at night. I later asked my mom about it and she heard it as well, yet both of us were in our rooms wondering if it was the other. This, coupled with the mirror incidents, makes me think something or someone was following me. Sometimes I worry if casting circles or spells will provoke it.

Unfortunately, recently I have been attracting another negative energy. I will be walking downtown with headphones in my ears, and be tapped on the shoulder by people I don't know, who proceed to make me very uncomfortable. I would say "oh, its wrong place, wrong time, being in the city, etc." but its happened far too often in the past few weeks for me just to ignore. If anyone has any suggestions on... anti-creeper? spells, I'd appreciate that.

Thank you in advance. I'm sorry if this post is a bit scattered.

Solvitur Ambulando~ or "When in doubt, Walk it out!"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 19, 2011, 04:17:53 am »

Secondly, as a result of that, I feel I've been told to search my past for clues. If anyone would be willing to help me with some identification it would be super.

In my past, I felt a strong closeness with moths. I don't know what this means. They still will just sit calmly on me all the time. I have to make a big effort to shoo them away, but they come to me very easily. (As a knitter, this is bothersome, but they haven't touched my yarn in the past 5 years... so perhaps its safe?)
I recently got over a fear of mirrors with the help of therapy. I had a few fall onto me unprovoked, and would see unfamiliar things in them. I don't think I would go out of my way to try any reflective divination because of this.
I've always had deep personal connections with cats, but I feel this might be normal for a lot of people.

I can grow plants from seeds whereas my family members cannot. I dont know if this is terribly significant.
When I was 8, up through until I went away to college, I would hear the cabinets banging at night. I later asked my mom about it and she heard it as well, yet both of us were in our rooms wondering if it was the other. This, coupled with the mirror incidents, makes me think something or someone was following me. Sometimes I worry if casting circles or spells will provoke it.

Unfortunately, recently I have been attracting another negative energy. I will be walking downtown with headphones in my ears, and be tapped on the shoulder by people I don't know, who proceed to make me very uncomfortable. I would say "oh, its wrong place, wrong time, being in the city, etc." but its happened far too often in the past few weeks for me just to ignore. If anyone has any suggestions on... anti-creeper? spells, I'd appreciate that.

Moths have had some connections to the soul, death, and supernatural in some cultures.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 19, 2011, 05:11:23 am »

I think having a strong connection to cats might just be normal, as you said. Same might be true for the flowers. There are a lot of people with a green thumb around (incidentally, I'm the only one in my family who can't grow any flowers whatsoever, but I don't really see any significance in it).

Would you care to explain how the people who tap you on the shoulders make you uncomfortable? I agree that being touched by strangers will be enough to make me uncomfortable on any given day, but it has never happened to me that strangers have tapped me on the shoulder for no reason. Just thinking, it's not your music that's too loud and that passers-by are complaining about?

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 19, 2011, 10:27:36 am »

This sounds like a low-energy poltergeist. If we believe what research is out there, those are energy vortices created by strong emotions. They are commonest around teenagers, what with the hormonal upheaval and angst, and seem to disperse when the person finds their balance, usually by growing up. It sounds like you have outgrown yours, and unless you have serious issues of repressed anger, it's not likely to come back.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
yarnwitch
Apprentice
Last Login:August 31, 2011, 10:00:24 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 19, 2011, 10:39:06 am »

Would you care to explain how the people who tap you on the shoulders make you uncomfortable? I agree that being touched by strangers will be enough to make me uncomfortable on any given day, but it has never happened to me that strangers have tapped me on the shoulder for no reason. Just thinking, it's not your music that's too loud and that passers-by are complaining about?

Ah, its just more like.. some man tried to give me a boxcutter once, and another one insisted I show him my armpits. I think it might be summer or something, but I felt like I had "creep on me" tattooed on my head for a while and I just couldnt see it.

Solvitur Ambulando~ or "When in doubt, Walk it out!"
Nitz
Master Member
Canada Canada

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 19, 2011, 12:41:53 pm »

Ah, its just more like.. some man tried to give me a boxcutter once, and another one insisted I show him my armpits. I think it might be summer or something, but I felt like I had "creep on me" tattooed on my head for a while and I just couldnt see it.

That is weird... maybe you just have nice armpits?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Katefox
Apprentice
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 11:08:52 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Theist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 19, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »

As to that, is it possible that something about how you dress, or carry yourself makes you look particularly friendly, or approachable?  Like because I'm mostly blind, and carry a white cane, if I'm by myself, it's fairly common for people to approach me, wanting to be helpful.  Often, they are, or at least, will leave me alone when I tell them I'm fine, and occasionally, they're really, really not*.  But this hasn't got to do with anything supernatural, and I wonder if something similar could be happening to you?

And, I don't know much about whether it would work, or how to go about it, really, but perhaps some kind of shielding spell to keep uninvited people away?

* People wanting to pray for me/tell me about God, or people who will actually grab my arm and drag me in the direction they think I want to go, and one crazy lady who tried to tell me about some kind of conspiracy, and make me admit I was only pretending to be blind.
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 19, 2011, 12:55:48 pm »

As to that, is it possible that something about how you dress, or carry yourself makes you look particularly friendly, or approachable?

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. I live on a street that a lot of lorries pass through, and some lorry drivers apparently have nothing better to do than honk their horns when I leave the house - no matter if I'm wearing hot pants or a huge old sweater and loose jeans...  Wink so maybe you could check with a good friend if there is something about you that people will react to? Like, swinging your hips while walking might make you attractive.

And if you live in a big city, things like the ones you described can happen quite often, especially if you look friendly enough.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 19, 2011, 01:40:47 pm »

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. I live on a street that a lot of lorries pass through, and some lorry drivers apparently have nothing better to do than honk their horns when I leave the house - no matter if I'm wearing hot pants or a huge old sweater and loose jeans...  Wink so maybe you could check with a good friend if there is something about you that people will react to? Like, swinging your hips while walking might make you attractive.

And if you live in a big city, things like the ones you described can happen quite often, especially if you look friendly enough.

I've had my fair share of rude or weird comments out of the blue regarding how I look,or just nodding atvsomeone when you walk by suddenly is an invite for them to chat you up about nothing in particular when your in a hurry. O.o

Nitz
Master Member
Canada Canada

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 19, 2011, 02:10:42 pm »

I've had my fair share of rude or weird comments out of the blue regarding how I look,or just nodding atvsomeone when you walk by suddenly is an invite for them to chat you up about nothing in particular when your in a hurry. O.o

That happens to me when I go to Vancouver, it's usually crazy homeless people.

catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 19, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »

This sort of thing used to happen to me pretty often when I worked in the city. Mostly, it was people who were suffering from untreated mental health issues.

I don't know if this is true for your area or not, but quite a few years ago, several mental health facilities closed in my area. Unfortunately, many of the patients wound up homeless and living on the streets of the city. It was pretty common to be approached by people making really random requests, or even being hostile for no apparent reason.  It can be a bit strange, and even a little scary when it happens. But honestly, other than not looking threatening yourself, I don't think it has anything to do with you or how you carry yourself.

Just my two cents, ymmv.
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 19, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »

This sort of thing used to happen to me pretty often when I worked in the city. Mostly, it was people who were suffering from untreated mental health issues.

I don't know if this is true for your area or not, but quite a few years ago, several mental health facilities closed in my area. Unfortunately, many of the patients wound up homeless and living on the streets of the city. It was pretty common to be approached by people making really random requests, or even being hostile for no apparent reason.  It can be a bit strange, and even a little scary when it happens. But honestly, other than not looking threatening yourself, I don't think it has anything to do with you or how you carry yourself.

Just my two cents, ymmv.

There's a good book I read years ago called, What Cops Know and a lot of it was information on how to be aware of who and what are around you, how to carry yourself to avoid looking like a victim or an easy mark etc. IDK if it's like SUPER outdated by now but I found that a lot of what they recommended were things I naturally did anyway (being alert, making eye contact, not randomly smiling at every damn body, moving quickly, keeping your head up etc).

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
catherine
Master Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 19, 2011, 10:01:58 pm »

There's a good book I read years ago called, What Cops Know and a lot of it was information on how to be aware of who and what are around you, how to carry yourself to avoid looking like a victim or an easy mark etc. IDK if it's like SUPER outdated by now but I found that a lot of what they recommended were things I naturally did anyway (being alert, making eye contact, not randomly smiling at every damn body, moving quickly, keeping your head up etc).

Oh I agree, these things are important too, very important. However, in my experience, some people won't pick up on these kinds of ques at all. In some circumstances, if you don't look like you would hurt them, then they will feel comfortable approaching you. Moving quickly, etc. is certainly helpful, but not in all situations. Like, if you're waiting for a bus or something like that.

I will admit that I have a knee jerk reaction when it comes to things like whether or not your hips sway when you walk (as harzgeist suggested). Because, well, hips do move when one walks, you know? I think it's too easy to say that a person is responsible for bringing unwanted attention to themselves, when it might be something altogether different.

I'm just offering up other things to consider.
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 19, 2011, 10:15:44 pm »

Oh I agree, these things are important too, very important. However, in my experience, some people won't pick up on these kinds of ques at all. In some circumstances, if you don't look like you would hurt them, then they will feel comfortable approaching you. Moving quickly, etc. is certainly helpful, but not in all situations. Like, if you're waiting for a bus or something like that.

I will admit that I have a knee jerk reaction when it comes to things like whether or not your hips sway when you walk (as harzgeist suggested). Because, well, hips do move when one walks, you know? I think it's too easy to say that a person is responsible for bringing unwanted attention to themselves, when it might be something altogether different.

I'm just offering up other things to consider.

Aye that reeks of victim blaming imo. I've also encountered disturbed persons on the street and yeah no body language is going to keep them away, in general though the book had some helpful advice.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
catherine
Master Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 19, 2011, 10:43:38 pm »

in general though the book had some helpful advice.

Yep, sounds like it does. My uncle was in law enforcement his whole adult life, until he retired. He has always told me the same sorts of things. The two things that he reiterated over and over were, be aware of your surroundings, and don't waste your money on mace. Learn to use a gun.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)