The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 06, 2022, 01:06:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2022, 01:06:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strange migraine  (Read 9563 times)
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 19, 2011, 07:25:18 am »

Hi all,

The last few weeks I've been feeling off. I've been nauseaus and had a strange feeling of pressure inside my head along with periodic blurring of my vision. Last week I went to see my Dr and she said it's probably a migraine. I have a history of migraine for the last 14 years and this is completely different to anything I've experienced before. She gave me a prescription for Imigran which I took but it didn't help my symptoms and gave me nerve sensitivity which left my scalp and mouth in pain at the slightest touch. I went back to my Dr on Friday and she has now prescribed beta blockers which I have been taking twice a day since although there are no changes in my symptoms yet and these tablets are making me incredibly sleepy. She has also now referred me to a neurologist as she is concerned about the length of time this gas persisted.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with migraine? If so, how did you get rid of it? Do you know what caused it to change form and last so long? Can anyone suggest any alternative actions I can take? The original symptoms are unpleasant and distracting and the sleepiness from the tablets is slowing me down.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated Smiley.

Rocquelaire   

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 19, 2011, 08:00:22 am »

Hi all,

The last few weeks I've been feeling off. I've been nauseaus and had a strange feeling of pressure inside my head along with periodic blurring of my vision. Last week I went to see my Dr and she said it's probably a migraine. I have a history of migraine for the last 14 years and this is completely different to anything I've experienced before. She gave me a prescription for Imigran which I took but it didn't help my symptoms and gave me nerve sensitivity which left my scalp and mouth in pain at the slightest touch. I went back to my Dr on Friday and she has now prescribed beta blockers which I have been taking twice a day since although there are no changes in my symptoms yet and these tablets are making me incredibly sleepy. She has also now referred me to a neurologist as she is concerned about the length of time this gas persisted.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with migraine? If so, how did you get rid of it? Do you know what caused it to change form and last so long? Can anyone suggest any alternative actions I can take? The original symptoms are unpleasant and distracting and the sleepiness from the tablets is slowing me down.

Rocquelaire   

can you ask for a brain MRI or CAT scan?  'cause dude, that does NOT sound like migraine to me!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 19, 2011, 08:13:04 am »

can you ask for a brain MRI or CAT scan?  'cause dude, that does NOT sound like migraine to me!

It doesn't seem like a migraine to me either. As I said, I've been having them for a long time and this is totally different. I think it's probably just that my history makesmigeaine an easy thing to pin it on. If the neurologist doesn't suggest some sort of scan, I'll certainly be asking about one. With waiting times it could be months before I see anyone though Sad
rachaell
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 19, 2011, 02:52:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: earth pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 19, 2011, 09:11:43 am »

It doesn't seem like a migraine to me either. As I said, I've been having them for a long time and this is totally different. I think it's probably just that my history makesmigeaine an easy thing to pin it on. If the neurologist doesn't suggest some sort of scan, I'll certainly be asking about one. With waiting times it could be months before I see anyone though Sad

Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Last Login:Today at 07:40:12 am
 United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Re: Need Advice on Preventing "Telepathic"/"Sympathetic" Pain
« Reply #10: June 01, 2011, 04:08:28 am » Reply/Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Aster Breo on May 31, 2011, 08:52:39 am
Has anyone experienced anything like this "telepathic pain"?  How did you deal with it?  Suggestions for establishing a very selective shield?  Or a very selective block?  We both work well with symbols and amulets, and with all kinds of stones and scents, so we're also very open to ideas for using tools like that to help us.

I've experienced this with my mum, my fiancé and my daughter. It's especially strong with my mum. She has a bad hip and whenever I'm with her and it's painful I feel it too sometimes to the point of limping. I usually do two things to deal with it. I pray and ask for any pain that is not mine to be taken away. That usually eases things a bit. I then do some reiki for my mum to try and help her pain. Which then removes the last of mine .

I used to experience this on a wider scale. When I practice healing I would very often feel whatever problem the person that I was working with had. I wanted to stop the pain etc so I could work better but I still wanted to have a link so that I could understand how the treatment was working for the other person, how to focus my energy and be able to suggest other avenues they may wish to explore in addition to the work with me.

For this I designed a sheild that operates like a net. It allows the impressions that I need in but holds back the pain (or distress or whatever). I found that this worked well in that situation. Maybe your daughter could try something like that? I will say that it doesn't work as well with my mum. Or my fiancé or daughter for that matter but I believe that may be because I tend to have much more relaxed sheilds when I'm around them. Maybe a crystal that she could wear or carry with her to anchor the sheild would help to keep it up even when she is more relaxed?

I really hope you find something that works for both of you.

Rocquelaire
Quote from: Rocquelaire on Today at 06:25:18 am
Hi all,

The last few weeks I've been feeling off. I've been nauseaus and had a strange feeling of pressure inside my head along with periodic blurring of my vision. Last week I went to see my Dr and she said it's probably a migraine. I have a history of migraine for the last 14 years and this is completely different to anything I've experienced before.

You read Aster Breo's post for migrains on June 1rst. If you go back and read what she said and what you answered you may possibly have your answer to your headache. As you say your headache is totally different. (I replied back to Aster Breo also).   I do however agree with HeartShadow that you ask your doc for an MRI or CAT scan.

I want to apologize for the copy and paste in this post but as of yet do not know how to 'quote' multiple quotes from one thread to another thread.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 19, 2011, 10:23:16 am »

I want to apologize for the copy and paste in this post but as of yet do not know how to 'quote' multiple quotes from one thread to another thread.

Actually, we don't do that here at TC. Reply to each post within the thread as you come to it. We prefer to have individually posts to replies within a thread, as well.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
rachaell
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 19, 2011, 10:52:12 am »

Actually, we don't do that here at TC. Reply to each post within the thread as you come to it. We prefer to have individually posts to replies within a thread, as well.

Hello LyricFox -  I'm somewhat confused with the way I'm supposed to reply.  Is it preferable for me to 'adlib' what she stated in another thread or just point her to it? For anything to make sense and possibly help her with her problem she would have to read the reply she gave to Astra Breo a few weeks ago.  What is TC?
Rocquelaire
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 19, 2011, 11:00:48 am »

You read Aster Breo's post for migrains on June 1rst. If you go back and read what she said and what you answered you may possibly have your answer to your headache. As you say your headache is totally different. (I replied back to Aster Breo also).   I do however agree with HeartShadow that you ask your doc for an MRI or CAT scan.  

Thanks for the comments but in the other thread I was talking about ways to deal with feeling someone else's pain. That's not what I'm experiencing at the moment so the sheilds etc that I suggested for Aster and her daughter don't seem to be the right tools for this job. Also, my energy is very low just now and I'm not sure that I'd be capable of constructing much of a sheild just now anyway.
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 19, 2011, 11:08:54 am »

Hello LyricFox -  I'm somewhat confused with the way I'm supposed to reply.  Is it preferable for me to 'adlib' what she stated in another thread or just point her to it? For anything to make sense and possibly help her with her problem she would have to read the reply she gave to Astra Breo a few weeks ago.  What is TC?

You reply to each post on this forum individually. What I was referring to was that the post you made in here had a copy/paste from another thread. You'll need to reply to that message in the thread where it was originally posted.

TC is this forum. It's the abbreviation for The Cauldron.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
rachaell
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 19, 2011, 11:24:35 am »

You reply to each post on this forum individually. What I was referring to was that the post you made in here had a copy/paste from another thread. You'll need to reply to that message in the thread where it was originally posted.

TC is this forum. It's the abbreviation for The Cauldron.

I see, ok, thank you
Aurelian
Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 01:45:55 am

Religion: High(ly Medicated) Episcopagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 19, 2011, 11:41:39 am »

What he(or she) said! 

I've suffered from untreatable daily migraines for years.  I spent two years with a neurologist, with no good result from all the meds and therapies she threw at me.  I asked her to run tests but she said there was no indication I needed them.

Finally I found a different doctor, and he ran the tests I'd been asking for for years!  Long story short, I have a great deal of spinal damage that is likely the genesis of all my chronic pain problems.

So, yes, tests.  Demand tests and don't quit until you get them!

"'Tis an awkward thing to play with souls,
And matter enough to save one's own:
Yet think of my friend, and the burning coals
He played with for bits of stone!"
-Robert Browning, "A Light Woman"
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 19, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »

Migraines do sometimes change format, though you're right that that kind of major change without some other trigger is really weird. (So, I'm glad you're following up with your doctor. In terms of timing, when the ex-husband had a seizure, he was able to get into an MRI pretty quickly, within 5 days, though getting into see a neurologist was a lot trickier.)

There's a series of posts someone (adsartha) made on Dreamwidth about migraines that might be helpful to you: there's a bunch of great stuff in comments about different people's experiences. An index is here: http://delight.dreamwidth.org/2011/05/27/ . There's some particularly good discussion of both drug and non-drug things to try, and some other useful comments.

On the rest of it: I'd do some poking at what might have triggered things for you. (What's the weather been like where you are? I've been on-and-off in low-grade migraine aura range because of the pressure systems coming through. Nothing that stops me functioning, but enough that I notice.) I'd also look at anything you have that's a known trigger, and see what avoiding it entirely/reducing it as much as you possibly can does.

(For example, lack of sleep has always been one of mine. Normally, I'm fine if I'm in the 7+ hour range, but if I were having ongoing problems, I'd be extra careful about going to bed at a consistent time, doing stuff that helps me sleep, that kind of thing that I sometimes slack off about.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Aurelian
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 19, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »

I'm gonna poke my nose in your thread for one more piece of advice  Cheesy

Everyone is approaching the problem with the assumption that you have migraines.  Differential diagnosis already says that you do not, in fact, suffer from migraines.  If triptan drugs aren't working for you, its very likely NOT migraines.

I spent years suffering from "migraines."  Headaches I have, but not migraines.  Years and hundreds of thousands of dollars later, it was finally acknowledged that it's not migraines!  Good lord help me I had a big, big, fit over that one  Cool

Other forms of headaches are far more difficult to treat, which fact has caused me no end of trouble.  I hope for you it isn't such a long, painful road to recovery.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 19, 2011, 12:51:28 pm »

If triptan drugs aren't working for you, its very likely NOT migraines.

Do you have a source for this?

My understanding (I don't take triptans, because of side effect reasons and because I'm lucky enough to be able to control migraines - and other headaches - using other tools) is that this isn't quite as black and white as you make it sound. Most importantly, just because someone doesn't respond to *one* variety of triptan doesn't mean they won't respond to others. (See the posts I linked for some examples: the poster doesn't do well on some of the most common ones, but does on a particular version, taken with food. It's certainly too early to rule out that no triptans work when someone's only tried one variant. That's just bad science.)

Likewise, while there are obviously lots of different kinds of headaches, what Rocquelaire describes (having had migraines, and now having different aura-type symptoms) does suggest that exploring the idea it might be a change in migraines, or related in some way certainly seems worth looking at. (And it's certainly within the range of experience of people who do in fact have migraines, and who find appropriate treatment using migraine meds.)

Not to the exclusion of other diagnostics, of course, but since everyone's basically said "Yeah, push for other diagnostics." in this thread, it's not like anyone's suggesting "Assume it's a migraine and get on with it."

I'm sorry you had so much frustration with your own experiences - but I wonder if you're letting them influence you a little too much in when to jump to looking at entirely different solutions. 

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Aurelian
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 19, 2011, 01:07:30 pm »

Do you have a source for this?  

Of course I do!  http://www.headaches.org/pdf/Monograph.pdf is the most easily accessible source; there are a plethora available with a very simple search.

I can't get a written opinion from the doctor who gave me that exact advice, as he is currently in Sudan.  I will admit I jumped the gun with my assumption that this person had been challenged with a variety of triptan drugs, which may or may not be the case.

woodhick
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 03:34:42 pm

Religion: old pagan

Blog entries (0)

sawoodhick

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 19, 2011, 01:16:34 pm »

Hi all,

Rocquelaire   

sounds like a typical migraine to me. I used to have the same symptoms with my migraines, with no help from conventional medicine. they would last anywhere from a few days to months on end. I tried fever-few (two cups of tea per day or the dose of the capsules that you can buy), though this didn't work for me, but it works for others in my family. I started taking birth control as hormone therapy and it has decreased my migraines significantly. now when I have one i take Valerian, heat pads, caffeine (not  a trigger for me), aged cheese (I don't know why this works, but eating some does. must be aged long, like a 5 year aged Gouda), and Excedrin migraine.  the trick is to take the meds or treatments when  you first start feeling the symptoms, and not wait until they get bad, and for me to sleep (the Valerian helps this). My sister had the pressure and nausea and was wrongfully diagnosed with sinus headaches for years. She now treats them as a migraine and they don't last as long (a few hours to a few days compared to weeks). Hers were weather related we found out through a diary, now she can take preventive meds according to the weather reports and keep the headaches at bay.

You do need to start keeping a diary of what the conditions are weather wise when the migraines start (barometric pressure, whether its rising or falling, if a front is coming through, if its raining, what phase of the moon it is, temperature, humidity, etc. Then keep track of the food you eat, how much you drink (dehydration is a cause of migraines), and any other things that might set it off (including stressful situations). Hopefully after time, a pattern will develop and you will be able to see any triggers. Another thing is ask about hormone levels. Mine were low and that was the cause of a lot of my migraines.

Hope some of this helps.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)