The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2020, 06:57:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 06:57:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Am I dishonoring the gods?  (Read 1930 times)
Thor
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 05:41:30 pm
United States United States

Religion: Vanatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 19, 2011, 11:19:38 pm »

I'll come out and say that my family does not know I'm Heathen, and for all intent and purpose, they're not going to know.  Mainly because if they did know, they would disown me.  They are very devoted Catholics, and see anything that isn't Christianity as "of the Devil".  My friends know and if I ever have a girlfriend, she'll know, but that's as far as it'll go. 

I love my family, they have done so much for me and we are very close, which is why I don't want to separate myself from them.  However, I feel like by not being honest with who I am and whom I worship to them, I am dishonoring the gods, and my faith. 

What are y'alls thought on this? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 20, 2011, 03:51:43 am »

I'll come out and say that my family does not know I'm Heathen, and for all intent and purpose, they're not going to know.  Mainly because if they did know, they would disown me.  They are very devoted Catholics, and see anything that isn't Christianity as "of the Devil".  My friends know and if I ever have a girlfriend, she'll know, but that's as far as it'll go. 

I love my family, they have done so much for me and we are very close, which is why I don't want to separate myself from them.  However, I feel like by not being honest with who I am and whom I worship to them, I am dishonoring the gods, and my faith. 

I don't think that your family has to know. I mean, what good would it do if they did? You'd be disowned, there will be lots and lots of arguments and trying to save your soul, probably - not a good environment to get closer to the Gods you're honouring.

I think that the Gods themselves are fine with you practicing "in secret", as it were. You still do honour them, so there shouldn't be a problem from Their side.

As to you feeling dishonest with yourself, there's a problem. I might be able to give better advice if I knew whether you still lived with your parents/family close by or somewhere by yourself.
In my experience, it's much easier not to discuss your faith openly when you only see your family a couple times a year. I for once live 400km away from them, so when we see each other, there are more important things to discuss usually than whether I believe in the Christian God or not.
And I mean, if they asked me if I'll pray every night, I can truthfully answer "yes" and quietly say a prayer in my head to Thor giving Him the reasons why I won't talk openly with my people. I'm sure He'll understand.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #2: June 20, 2011, 06:40:49 am »

Honestly only you can make that call. On the one hand there are those who would say that you are being horribly dishonest in your dealings with your family and thus are dishonoring them and yourself. On the other, intentionally creating strife and hostility within the family would also be extremely dishonorable.

There is no one right answer, here. Especially if you are a minor.

Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 21, 2011, 03:50:46 am »

I always figured that if they don't ask about my beliefs, I have no reason to tell them. To me, that doesn't feel dishonest. I told them that I no longer wanted to attend church with them, and they got the point, but after that, they didn't really ask what my beliefs were for a long time, and even then, only my mother did. When she asked, I told her. My stepdad's never asked and I've simply never felt inclined to tell him. It wouldn't serve any purpose, and  might make him upset.

I guess I feel that the gods really don't care who you tell. As long as you're not outright lying to them or somehow harming them by not telling them, I think you're good.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)