The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 22, 2020, 08:07:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2020, 08:07:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Definitions of Animism  (Read 10890 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Topic Start: June 25, 2007, 02:10:20 pm »

I have 'Animist' in my path description, and was recently asked for a definition.  Which made me realize I don't really have one.  I grew up with it, and didn't even know it's name until some posts by Sunflower and Elizabette gave me the lightbulb clue.  I know what it is for me, and have communicated with and woken up various beings/things usually defined as 'other' but which to me are 'cousin'.

I would be interested in hearing from people who have actually given enough thought to it to verbalize their definitions.  I live it, but I don't think about it, if you know what I mean.  It's like breathing for me, and I can't describe that well enough to give a clue to someone (!) who doesn't do it themselves either.

Help!  I'm having a failure of articulation!

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 25, 2007, 02:25:16 pm »

I have 'Animist' in my path description, and was recently asked for a definition.  Which made me realize I don't really have one.  I grew up with it, and didn't even know it's name until some posts by Sunflower and Elizabette gave me the lightbulb clue.  I know what it is for me, and have communicated with and woken up various beings/things usually defined as 'other' but which to me are 'cousin'.

I don't know that I'm articulate, but ...

When I say I'm an animist I mean that everything around me has some sort of spirit and identity as itself.  Not all of those spirits are awake/alert/responsive or even comprehensible to the human mind, but they exist.  Further, working with a tool or object extensively can awaken and humanise the spirit within.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 25, 2007, 02:30:57 pm »

Absent

LOL if you're failing in articulation, then where does that leave me? Thanks Marilyn Wink

It's like breathing for me, and I can't describe that well enough to give a clue to someone (!) who doesn't do it themselves either.

That phrase I might like to steal tho, Marilyn, if you will permit it!

Ok, so having briefly hit wikipedia, can we add animatism to the mix too? Apparently that's my new word for the day...

Sunflower you have so much to answer for... and I mean that in a good way!

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #3: June 25, 2007, 02:50:23 pm »

I would be interested in hearing from people who have actually given enough thought to it to verbalize their definitions.  I live it, but I don't think about it, if you know what I mean.  It's like breathing for me, and I can't describe that well enough to give a clue to someone (!) who doesn't do it themselves either.

Absent

Uh, ok, I'll try.  Wink

I read the most wonderful sentence (it was part of an interview with a Quantum Physicist) "Matter is Consciousness."

That's what I believe in a nutshell.

I believe that a kind of a spirit form has to exist before a thing, a plant, an animal, a human being, can take form in the material world. So even a tupperdish has a kind of spirit/consciousness - if you can communicate with it, or if it is awake like Darkhawk said, is another question.

As I mentioned before in other threads I work with stones, I work as animal communicator and though I have no talent for contact with plants - I never would say one of the before was lifeless. Because all of them have life, spirit, consciousness - only the forms of it don't fit that what man accepts, doesn't mean it is not there.

(Well, that surly won't win the articulation price of the week, but I hope you guys get what I mean Wink)

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: June 25, 2007, 03:24:41 pm »

I don't know that I'm articulate, but ...

When I say I'm an animist I mean that everything around me has some sort of spirit and identity as itself.  Not all of those spirits are awake/alert/responsive or even comprehensible to the human mind, but they exist.  Further, working with a tool or object extensively can awaken and humanise the spirit within.

Not only articulate, but succinct as well.  I agree that the act of awakening does tend to humanise the awakened, at least as far as communication goes.  Nothing will change how 'alien' some consciousnesses are, but sometimes it's like they borrow our brains for communication purposes, or lend us their's. (which is trippy)

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: June 25, 2007, 03:27:56 pm »

That phrase I might like to steal tho, Marilyn, if you will permit it!

Ok, so having briefly hit wikipedia, can we add animatism to the mix too? Apparently that's my new word for the day...

Steal away.  It was actually an exercise in my Anthro 101 class, to teach us to 'detach' from our own fundamental assumptions.

My net is being really finicky today (I can barely keep TC open) so I'm going to leave looking up 'animatism' for a later time.  If you want to post a definition, though?

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: June 25, 2007, 03:33:40 pm »

I believe in a nutshell.

I believe that a kind of a spirit form has to exist before a thing, a plant, an animal, a human being, can take form in the material world. So even a tupperdish has a kind of spirit/consciousness - if you can communicate with it, or if it is awake like Darkhawk said, is another question.

So the spirit exists before the thing it is the spirit of?  That's an interesting concept.  Is it still the spirit of a tupperdish, though, or does it become that when the dish is being awakened, housing itself in whatever is available, rather than being that house originally?

Or could it be a Platonic Ideal type of thing.  One perfect tupperdish, of which all others are pale copies, but from which (leaving platonic territory here, I think) the individual spirit of each dish is born.

This may be why I don't 'investigate' my beliefs much.  The step from profound to absurd is a very short one for me, and both are equally legitimate in my eyes.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: June 25, 2007, 03:51:59 pm »

So the spirit exists before the thing it is the spirit of?  That's an interesting concept.  Is it still the spirit of a tupperdish, though, or does it become that when the dish is being awakened, housing itself in whatever is available, rather than being that house originally?

Or could it be a Platonic Ideal type of thing.  One perfect tupperdish, of which all others are pale copies, but from which (leaving platonic territory here, I think) the individual spirit of each dish is born.

This may be why I don't 'investigate' my beliefs much.  The step from profound to absurd is a very short one for me, and both are equally legitimate in my eyes.

Absent

Well, I havn't thought in length about the construct of the tupperdish in theory and universe and spirit planes Wink just an example - but yes, it is not easy to go into the details of what yourself believe, a lot of this believe is just floating around I guess and to think it through in all parts and consequences (see tupperdishs awakening f.ex Wink) is time intensive.

But I really think there has to be some kind of prototype (spirit) - it's like creating a spell, or a piece of art, a story. Somewhere there is first the form of it in your mind and then you pull it on the physical plane. But since I havn't wrote down my theories, believes and so on I'll better stop now, because articulating is really a double problem for me here Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 25, 2007, 03:56:24 pm »

Steal away.  It was actually an exercise in my Anthro 101 class, to teach us to 'detach' from our own fundamental assumptions.

My net is being really finicky today (I can barely keep TC open) so I'm going to leave looking up 'animatism' for a later time.  If you want to post a definition, though?

Absent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

The term Animism is derived from the Latin anima, meaning "soul".[1][2] In its most general sense, animism is simply the belief in souls. In this general sense, animism is present in nearly all religions.

In a more restrictive sense, animism is the belief that souls inhabit all or most objects; it attributes personalized souls to animals, vegetables, and minerals wherein the material object is—to some degree—governed by the qualities which comprise its particular soul

Thanks, and sorry, I missed your comment about definition before. (That's what I get for a multi-tasking monday... )

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 25, 2007, 04:06:19 pm »

But I really think there has to be some kind of prototype (spirit) - it's like creating a spell, or a piece of art, a story. Somewhere there is first the form of it in your mind and then you pull it on the physical plane. But since I havn't wrote down my theories, believes and so on I'll better stop now, because articulating is really a double problem for me here Wink

So would that tie in with stuff that comes at it from the 'we're spirits having a human experience' angle?
I know there is a lot of debate over words like shamanic and animistic and the actual accuracy of using them, as opposed to the general (mis)usage of them and general perception of their meaning.

(And btw i'm not trying to annoy anyone with a terrible lack of accurate use of words, or using them out of their true context honestly. I wouldn't even be looking for words if it didn't matter... I hate lablelling...  Sad )

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: June 25, 2007, 04:12:51 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

Thanks, and sorry, I missed your comment about definition before. (That's what I get for a multi-tasking monday... )

That definition fits quite well with my beliefs, both the broad and the 'restrictive' senses.  What I was asking about, though, was the other word you used; 'animatism'.  Is it another form of animism used in some circles, or does it include/exclude other things as well?

Absent

(and now even TC won't stay open well.  I've been 'talking' to my comp all afternoon to keep it going, but I think it's cranky now and needs a nap, so I'll be shutting down til this evening.)

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 25, 2007, 04:22:19 pm »

That definition fits quite well with my beliefs, both the broad and the 'restrictive' senses.  What I was asking about, though, was the other word you used; 'animatism'.  Is it another form of animism used in some circles, or does it include/exclude other things as well?

Absent

I realised afterwards I should have added that one too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animatism

Animatism is a term coined by R. R. Marett to refer to the belief of certain cultures in supernatural forces and powers.

These forces are inanimate and impersonal, which is not the case with the beliefs classed as animism

And to follow wiki further since it seems I'm being drawn somewhere....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana

It is an impersonal force or quality that resides in people, animals, and inanimate objects and that instills in the appreciative observer a sense of respect or wonder. <snip> It has commonly been interpreted as "the stuff of which magic is formed", as well as the substance of which souls are made.

*zips her lip because people have already had to listen to her too much today*

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 25, 2007, 04:27:10 pm »

And to follow wiki further since it seems I'm being drawn somewhere....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana

And now I'm going to nurse the bruise from being smacked with a clue by four... *sigh* Why Yes I can be immensely dumb.
Why? Because I get time to read further down the page and find.... Awen.
And this is derailing, sorry guys.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 25, 2007, 04:33:05 pm »

I get time to read further down the page and find.... Awen.

OK, you got me to click on the link.   Cheesy

I was especially interested in this tidbit:
mana as a generalized concept has attained a significant amount of interest; often understood as a precursor to formal religion

That made me think of another thread in which Midori described herself as a "feral druid".  I'm loving the idea of feral spirituality -- that is, spirituality (mana?) in its wild, untamed state.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 25, 2007, 04:46:09 pm »

OK, you got me to click on the link.   Cheesy

I was especially interested in this tidbit:
That made me think of another thread in which Midori described herself as a "feral druid".  I'm loving the idea of feral spirituality -- that is, spirituality (mana?) in its wild, untamed state.

lol stay away from me MI, I seen to be lightbulb central just now Tongue

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)