The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 06:51:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 06:51:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Definitions of Animism  (Read 7655 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: June 25, 2007, 04:49:27 pm »

lol stay away from me MI, I seen to be lightbulb central just now Tongue

That's OK.  I've got my own lightbulbs going off all over me right now.  (You know the feeling.   Wink )

And a headache...  Sad

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 25, 2007, 04:56:47 pm »

That's OK.  I've got my own lightbulbs going off all over me right now.  (You know the feeling.   Wink )

And a headache...  Sad

Yep.
On both counts.
And the unsettling feeling that if I don't figure it out I'm going to get bit on the ass... dont ask.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: June 25, 2007, 04:58:08 pm »

And the unsettling feeling that if I don't figure it out I'm going to get bit on the ass... dont ask.

Oh, I don't need to ask -- I know that feeling well.  Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 25, 2007, 05:04:21 pm »

Oh, I don't need to ask -- I know that feeling well.  Wink
Thought you might Wink

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 25, 2007, 06:14:56 pm »

I'm loving the idea of feral spirituality

I would never have thought of using the word "feral" to describe animism, but it does sort of resonate.

As Marilyn said, it's like breathing. Darkhawk's definition is very close to the way I would explain animism to a stranger, but elaborating beyond that would become more difficult with each word. It doesn't explain what it's like to live all the time as a spirit in a world of spirits.

Knowledge comes through observation and experience, more than anything else. It's not really the sort of observation that's easily quantified, or even described, either. It's hard to give a reason for how I know things, other than "I've noticed."

Gahhh! I've written and erased about five different paragraphs in this post. I think I'm going to have to try again later if I want to write any more about this.  Tongue

Betty  Smiley

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 25, 2007, 06:23:30 pm »

Knowledge comes through observation and experience, more than anything else. It's not really the sort of observation that's easily quantified, or even described, either. It's hard to give a reason for how I know things, other than "I've noticed."

*giggles* sorry but I know what you mean, and it's just nice not to alone in the world of... how to explain breathing to someone who doesn't.

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 25, 2007, 07:48:07 pm »

and it's just nice not to alone in the world of... how to explain breathing to someone who doesn't.

Ditto.  Cheesy 

Betty  Smiley

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: June 25, 2007, 09:18:01 pm »

I would never have thought of using the word "feral" to describe animism, but it does sort of resonate.

I think the feral thing isn't so much about animism, per se.  More about spirituality and/or religion.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #23: June 25, 2007, 09:26:37 pm »

I think the feral thing isn't so much about animism, per se.  More about spirituality and/or religion.

*raises a hand* Excuse me, miss Ivy, ma'am...
Feral... "A feral organism is one that has escaped from domestication and returned, partly or wholly, to its wild state"

Or to it's roots, its origins, what it was before it was domesticated, tamed, made... Civilised... thats the word I was looking for!

I'm leaving now...

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: June 26, 2007, 12:57:11 am »

*raises a hand* Excuse me, miss Ivy, ma'am...
Feral... "A feral organism is one that has escaped from domestication and returned, partly or wholly, to its wild state"

Or to it's roots, its origins, what it was before it was domesticated, tamed, made... Civilised... thats the word I was looking for!

Yes. 

Dictionary.com's first entry for "feral" gives the first definition as:
1. existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.

Another entry is:

1a) Existing in a wild or untamed state.
1b) Having returned to an untamed state from domestication.

So, feral isn't always about *returning* to a wild state after having been domsticated.  It can be about the state of something *before* it is domesticated.

I know it might not make sense, but I think what I'm looking for is a spirituality that is closer to its origins before it was domesticated -- which, in this case, would mean before it became any kind of organized religious system.

"Primal" might be another appropriate word, in the sense of (also from Dictionary.com):

1. first; original; primeval

or

2.  having existed from the beginning; in an earliest or original stage or state

I don't know.  It's just something that my brain is playing with, and that is helping to fit some other pieces together.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: June 26, 2007, 01:19:12 am »

I don't know that I'm articulate, but ...

When I say I'm an animist I mean that everything around me has some sort of spirit and identity as itself.  Not all of those spirits are awake/alert/responsive or even comprehensible to the human mind, but they exist.  Further, working with a tool or object extensively can awaken and humanise the spirit within.
I'll concur with that.  Otherwise, I don't really have anything to add to what I posted in the thread on the old board.

Once the basic explanation has been given, there's very little to be accomplished by further articulation, if the person I'm talking to doesn't connect or interact with the world in a more-or-less animistic way.  The "head" part of animism is pretty simple; most of the substance is in the "heart" and "gut" parts, experiential.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: June 26, 2007, 01:27:41 am »

Sunflower you have so much to answer for... and I mean that in a good way!
<hides>

I've been throwing a lot of lightbulbs lately, most of them on a fairly deep level for their recipients. It's a bit unsettling, even if it is "in a good way", just because there's so much of it.

That doesn't altogether apply to this thread; the lightbulb in question was thrown several months ago, and not by me alone - though I hadn't realized it had influenced Absent so much (I'd noticed her recently speaking of herself as an animist, and, idly and without reading much into it, recalled that she hadn't been involved in that thread), so the timing is a bit disconcerting.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #27: June 26, 2007, 02:11:02 am »

though I hadn't realized it had influenced Absent so much (I'd noticed her recently speaking of herself as an animist, and, idly and without reading much into it, recalled that she hadn't been involved in that thread)

'Not involved in' doesn't mean much.  I read everything, throw it to the doggy at the back of my mind, and wait to see what comes out.  Other people's paths fascinate me, but I rarely do much thinking about my own.  It usually just seems like 'what is' rather than a religion.

The change from 'random worshiper of the sky at night' to 'free flowing animist' came at the easy time, when I was filling in my profile here.  It just seemed like a 'righter' thing to put.  It wasn't until Purplewitch pm'd me with a question about it that I realized I had accepted the label as 'right' without giving it much thought beyond that.  The fact that all the definitions that have come up have fit me is a bonus, or a sign that the doggy is smarter than he looks.

The 'religion' part of my religion is, as I've written about, contentious and transactional.  The 'what is' is somehow a deeper, more unavoidable, inarguable, thing for me.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Midori
Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2007, 08:01:45 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Druid

Mead Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: June 26, 2007, 03:56:41 am »

Hi Guys,

You got me! I escaped from the domestication of Order Druidry, and took 'my' Druidry back to it's roots, or as near as I could! 'My' Druidry is essentially practical, stripped of the trappings of ceremony, and is all about getting down and dirty with the Land, it's Spirits, animals, trees and plants. I guess 'Wild Druid' suits me too. I see Deity in Everything natural, so I guess Animist is appropriate to me also.

Cheers, Midori

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum?
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 26, 2007, 10:45:40 am »

<hides>

I've been throwing a lot of lightbulbs lately, most of them on a fairly deep level for their recipients. It's a bit unsettling, even if it is "in a good way", just because there's so much of it.

Lightbulb catalysts cannot hide Wink

The process isn't necessarily good, but the end results usually are.
Assuming me sharing my personal sanity-lapses with other people is a good thing... (sorry, sleep deprived this morning, someone round here is cutting a fang!)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)