The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 12:12:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 12:12:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pronunciation!  (Read 6168 times)
amethystjade
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 09:43:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: neopagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 20, 2011, 09:43:47 pm »

I apologize if this has been discussed previously; I did a quick search but may have missed it.

How do you pronounce "Asatru"?  I've heard it many ways, but I'm not sure I've heard anyone back up their pronunciation with evidence, and I hate to be a jerk in person ("Why would you pronounce it like that, you twit?").

Pronunciation of the gods and the monster for a bonus. Wink

Amethyst Jade

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 20, 2011, 10:20:50 pm »

I apologize if this has been discussed previously; I did a quick search but may have missed it.

How do you pronounce "Asatru"?  I've heard it many ways, but I'm not sure I've heard anyone back up their pronunciation with evidence, and I hate to be a jerk in person ("Why would you pronounce

Amethyst Jade

As-ah-tru. ( think as-gard)

Jotun/ jotnar. (yot- in/ yot-nar)

Words like "freyr" that end with an "r" are one syllable- freyr=frair

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 20, 2011, 11:12:46 pm »

As-ah-tru. ( think as-gard)

Jotun/ jotnar. (yot- in/ yot-nar)

Words like "freyr" that end with an "r" are one syllable- freyr=frair

How does Baldr work?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 21, 2011, 12:45:20 am »

How does Baldr work?

Sorry. Baldr is pronounced pretty much as it's spelled (a variant being Balder, of course): BALd-uhr (very soft r at the end, most pronounce it as Ball-DER, though).  When there is a final 'r' as in Garmr then the last 'r' isn't pronounced as a second syllable (HRED). My guess is that Freyr is pronounced as such because there are vowels between, while Garmr is r-consonant-r. (Garm-uh)

http://www.forvo.com/word/baldr/

http://www.forvo.com/search/freyr/
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #4: June 21, 2011, 06:35:41 am »

How do you pronounce "Asatru"?  I've heard it many ways, but I'm not sure I've heard anyone back up their pronunciation with evidence, and I hate to be a jerk in person ("Why would you pronounce it like that, you twit?").

Amethyst Jade

If you wanted to get really technically correct, the proper Icelandic pronunciation of Asatru is 'ow-sah-tru' with the R being quickly and softly rolled and each syllable equally stressed (although a slight stress on the first would also be appropriate) . However, if you were to pronounce it simply 'AH-sah-tru' as an Americanized variant that would also be perfectly fine and comprehensible. I've seen some people pronounce it 'ah SAH tru' which would be incorrect. Generally, although not always, the primary stress is on the first syllable. THOR-in, ICE-land, AL-thing, OH-din, FREY-ah, LO-ki, etc etc.

As Junpier said, the trailing 'r' you find on many proper names is either pronounced or not depending on what came before it in the word. So, Jormangandr would be 'YOR-mahn-gahn-der' would be another example of how it is pronounced when voiced.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)