The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 06, 2021, 12:21:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2021, 12:21:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: shadow people  (Read 4822 times)
chemicalkook
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 23, 2011, 10:47:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 21, 2011, 12:09:24 am »

where is a good place to discuss shadow people?  can anyone suggest a forum?  what do pagans think they are?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 21, 2011, 12:35:35 am »

where is a good place to discuss shadow people?  can anyone suggest a forum?  what do pagans think they are?

stuff of nightmares and bad horror movies?  

actually, could you be a little more specific?  I assume you're not talking about the ones on the X-files.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
chemicalkook
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 21, 2011, 12:38:59 am »

stuff of nightmares and bad horror movies?  

actually, could you be a little more specific?  I assume you're not talking about the ones on the X-files.

paranormal stuff and shadow people.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 21, 2011, 12:48:25 am »

paranormal stuff and shadow people.

I figured paranormal.  Can you be more specific about what  you mean when you say 'shadow people'?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
chemicalkook
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 21, 2011, 12:53:27 am »

I figured paranormal.  Can you be more specific about what  you mean when you say 'shadow people'?

i saw a shadow person, black figure, wide brim hat like a clerical hat-i should say highway patrol, red eyes.  then i looked it up, and most shadow people look the same.  some people call the hats fedoras, but the brim looked really wide on mine's hat.  and i was in one of those paralyzed states.  i'm sure someone thinks shadow people are cool here...i've googled it and there are lots of forums.  it would be interesting to hear from people who think they are cool and people who don't like them, aka believe in them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:56:36 am by chemicalkook » Logged
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 21, 2011, 01:09:08 am »

i saw a shadow person, black figure, wide brim hat like a clerical hat-i should say highway patrol, red eyes.  then i looked it up, and most shadow people look the same.  some people call the hats fedoras, but the brim looked really wide on mine's hat.  and i was in one of those paralyzed states.  i'm sure someone thinks shadow people are cool here...i've googled it and there are lots of forums.  it would be interesting to hear from people who think they are cool and people who don't like them, aka believe in them.

I'm sorry, I still don't get what you're referring to  Sad Your description does bring a novel by Dean Koontz to mind (the first one of the "Odd Thomas" series), but I don't think that this is what you meant.

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
Tahpenes
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 11:18:36 am

Religion: River-worshipping fox-hugging trancer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 21, 2011, 07:48:39 am »

Several of my relatives have seen things like the figures you describe, though I don't recall hearing about any of them having red eyes. They also call them shadow people or sometimes "dark men." They've never harmed anyone in the family or done anything more than creep my relatives out, so they're more an interesting around-the-dinner-table anecdote than anything else.

You say you were paralyzed - were you in bed at the time? It may have been sleep paralysis.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 21, 2011, 08:01:06 am »

where is a good place to discuss shadow people?  can anyone suggest a forum?  what do pagans think they are?

You may want to look into the Hatman Project for more info. I can't link you there because that would mean going to the site and looking at the picture of a shadow person (the so-called "Hatman") and it'd freak the living daylights out of me.

I've been afraid of these critters my entire life but I've only ever seen them once. (Maybe. Or it was a ghost. Or something. It's hard to tell, and a very long story.) I'm disinclined to believe most paranormal explanations unless modern science is really failing at giving answers.

I think that a shadow person - the idea of a completely featureless person, or a person without identity with a face and name and such - probably hits on some dark point in human psychology. It's easy to fear (and project fears onto) the dark and the unknown. I doubt there are really shadow entities running around our planet (seems a bit Doctor Who to me), but there are probably psychological reasons why the image of shadow people pop up in different places.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 21, 2011, 08:15:10 am »

You may want to look into the Hatman Project for more info. I can't link you there because that would mean going to the site and looking at the picture of a shadow person (the so-called "Hatman") and it'd freak the living daylights out of me.

I've been afraid of these critters my entire life but I've only ever seen them once. (Maybe. Or it was a ghost. Or something. It's hard to tell, and a very long story.) I'm disinclined to believe most paranormal explanations unless modern science is really failing at giving answers.

I think that a shadow person - the idea of a completely featureless person, or a person without identity with a face and name and such - probably hits on some dark point in human psychology. It's easy to fear (and project fears onto) the dark and the unknown. I doubt there are really shadow entities running around our planet (seems a bit Doctor Who to me), but there are probably psychological reasons why the image of shadow people pop up in different places.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about Doctor Who.

I've never heard of these Hatmen before, but I'll keep my eyes out for them now and if I see one I'll try to capture him.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 21, 2011, 10:48:53 am »

I've seen dark shadowy human-like figures before, not really sure what they are.  The ones I've spotted near my house never felt threatening so I refer to them the same as I do to the other spirits that live in and around my property- as "the locals."  No suggestions on where to discuss them in more detail, sorry. 

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 05, 2021, 06:20:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 21, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »

where is a good place to discuss shadow people?  can anyone suggest a forum?  what do pagans think they are?
I see there are some links in this thread on the subject from a couple of years ago - I don't know if any of them are forums, but you might find something useful.

As for, "what do pagans think they are?", you're unlikely to find any kind of consensus - that's true of just about any question of, "what do pagans think about -----?"  Pagans are a pretty diverse lot, not a monolith.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 21, 2011, 01:55:08 pm »

I just went and looked at the site you mentioned, but I could not really see anything in the pictures they had there apart from normal darkness at night.

Since the first - and only - time that I encountered shadow people was in the novel I mentioned upthread I somehow find it hard to believe in their existence in the real world ("real world" as in "outside of fiction books").

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
Dufonce
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 06:30:20 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 21, 2011, 10:32:10 pm »

I work at a hospital... see them all the time... just to the effect of the out of the corner of my eye end of it. havent gotten the direct look yet. I read some stuff on them before, I believe you dont get that paralysis effect unless you can look directly at them, even then its probably your brain causing you extreme terror to where it cant move. possibly thinks your dreaming and shuts your body movement off? that being just speculation on the reasonings..
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 21, 2011, 11:02:13 pm »

I work at a hospital... see them all the time... just to the effect of the out of the corner of my eye end of it. havent gotten the direct look yet. I read some stuff on them before, I believe you dont get that paralysis effect unless you can look directly at them, even then its probably your brain causing you extreme terror to where it cant move. possibly thinks your dreaming and shuts your body movement off? that being just speculation on the reasonings..

Now I really want to catch one.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
chemicalkook
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 22, 2011, 01:27:47 am »

thanks for the hatman link.  i know about sleep paralysis because i am a reasonable person who had been thinking about it.  i know there are shadow people, and then there is the hatman.  i never made a distinction, but do remember that now.  i really doubt that i will ever see the hat man again.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)