The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 11:00:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 11:00:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mysticism Questions  (Read 4346 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 21, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »

I'd like to learn more about mysticism. 

Can anyone recommend good resources on the concept and/or how it could be applied within a pagan, henotheistic context?

Do you incorporate mysticism into your path?  How?  Why?

Thanks!

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 21, 2011, 08:48:38 pm »

I'd like to learn more about mysticism. 

Can anyone recommend good resources on the concept and/or how it could be applied within a pagan, henotheistic context?

Thanks!

~ Aster

Could you define what you mean by mysticism first?

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 21, 2011, 08:53:01 pm »

From Wikipedia

Mysticism: the phenomenon of having a unique experience of communion with God, an ultimate reality, divinity, or insight into spiritual truths.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 21, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »

Excellent question, because on the one hand, Tibetan Buddhism is chock-full of mysticism but on the other, that might not be the kind Aster's looking for.

::waits for the definition, to see if she has something useful to contribute::
From Wikipedia

Mysticism: the phenomenon of having a unique experience of communion with God, an ultimate reality, divinity, or insight into spiritual truths.

From where I'm sitting, that's what Buddhism is about, in part: insight into spiritual truths and communion with ultimate reality. So, I think I'll have to say that my path *is* mysticism, practiced through meditation, chanting, mindfulness . . . daily life. (That's part of what attracted me to Tibetan Buddhism to begin with, before I realized that was where I was headed. Something that's just--part of life, not outside it.)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 21, 2011, 09:05:36 pm »

Excellent question, because on the one hand, Tibetan Buddhism is chock-full of mysticism but on the other, that might not be the kind Aster's looking for.

Actually, I just used the Wiki definition because that's just the one I'm familiar with.  I'd be very interested in other definitions, too.

From where I'm sitting, that's what Buddhism is about, in part: insight into spiritual truths and communion with ultimate reality. So, I think I'll have to say that my path *is* mysticism, practiced through meditation, chanting, mindfulness . . . daily life. (That's part of what attracted me to Tibetan Buddhism to begin with, before I realized that was where I was headed. Something that's just--part of life, not outside it.)

Hmmm.  Any thoughts about applying this kind of practice to a path that involves deity/ies?

~ Aster

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 21, 2011, 09:26:33 pm »

Hmmm.  Any thoughts about applying this kind of practice to a path that involves deity/ies?

There are deities in some forms of Buddhism, I'm fairly certain, but Starglade can tell you much more about that.

On a personal level, I'm not sure how to answer your question. I feel the spiritual and a higher reality in communing with nature on a regular basis, and my deities help me get a handle on that higher reality.

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 22, 2011, 01:07:43 am »

I channel (get messages) from gods when I write poetry.  This just happens.  I hear words in my head and feel a Presence when writing. 

I walk between worlds/dream in my sleep sometimes and I've met various deities that way.  Most of the time, I don't do anything but go to bed.  This just happens.  Twice now though I have asked for something, given an offering and gotten a visit from that.  I've been told that this particular thing is for Aset, but other deities will show up when necessary. 

Perhaps looking at dream incubation or fire scrying would help you, Aster Breo? 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 22, 2011, 01:09:46 am »

Perhaps looking at dream incubation or fire scrying would help you, Aster Breo?

Can you point me to resources about dream incubation?  I've heard the term, but never really knew what it means.

Thanks!

~ Aster

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 22, 2011, 07:33:40 am »

Sorry about that last response to you; apparently my Delete function didn't do what I had thought, even though I previewed the post first. :-/ The first half was supposed to be gone, as I'd just seen you supply the definition. Oops.

Anyway, moving forward:

There's little difference from what I can see between "applying (meditation, etc.) to a path that involves deity/-ies" and to a more philosophical approach. As Altair said, there are indeed deities (for lack of a better term, and depending on what framing device/cultural reference you're using) in forms of Buddhism; in Tibetan Buddhism we have the bodhisattvas, such as Kwan Yin/Avalokiteshvara/Chenrezig, who are "emanations" of various states of being. Kwan Yin is an emanation of compassion. (His Holiness the Dalai Lama is considered to be an earthly, human incarnation of Chenrezig--a physical, living bodhisattva. He, however, will tell you to your face that he "is merely a simple monk." :-) ) One can perform meditative acts focused on a particular emanation, such as Tara (Green Tara, White Tara, the 21 Taras . . .), and can be as elaborate or simple as one desires/needs to be. I can't afford to have what I'd term a "fully tricked out altar" with multiple butter lamps, offering bowls, incenses appropriate to the day/hour, etc. I have one Buddha statue/candleholder, one Kwan Yin statue, and a "tiny Buddha" from a travel altar kit. My candles are battery-powered. It all works for me.

I feel this is rather rambling. Perhaps it's the earliness of the hour and having had only a half-cuppa joe. If this is on the right track, let me know, please? I can find more information if you're of a mind, or links to point you in the right direction (I'll hit buddhanet.net for sure, and probably fpmt.org as well). The Buddhism to which I've been drawn is actually highly theistic, but not in the sense of all-powerful deities. I'll stop there, rather than ramble on. . . .

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 22, 2011, 12:47:18 pm »

Can you point me to resources about dream incubation?  I've heard the term, but never really knew what it means.

Thanks!

~ Aster

Dream incubation is basically asking a deity for a message in a dream.  Sometimes people give an offering and sleep in a shrine area or give an offering to a deity and go to sleep in their own bed.  You get the answer in a dream.    Then perhaps you'd give an offering of thanks. In ancient times priests used to interpret these dreams for you.  I know the ancient Egyptians and Greeks practiced it. 

I know have references for ancient Egyptian dream incubation.  Are you looking for something religiously/magically oriented or academic? 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 22, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »

Dream incubation is basically asking a deity for a message in a dream.  Sometimes people give an offering and sleep in a shrine area or give an offering to a deity and go to sleep in their own bed.  You get the answer in a dream.    Then perhaps you'd give an offering of thanks. In ancient times priests used to interpret these dreams for you.  I know the ancient Egyptians and Greeks practiced it. 

I know have references for ancient Egyptian dream incubation.  Are you looking for something religiously/magically oriented or academic? 

I'll have to try that Dream Incubation stuff, sounds useful.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 22, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »

Not Aster, obviously, but I would be interested in any references magically oriented or academic.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 22, 2011, 04:08:10 pm »

Not Aster, obviously, but I would be interested in any references magically oriented or academic.

Egyptian (Academic):

The chapter on Egypt in Oracles and Divination by Michael Loewe and Carmen Blacker
Jean-Marie Knutchen, "Oracles" in Ancient Gods Speak edited by Donald Redford

Religious/Magical:

Dreaming the Divine by Scott Cunningham  (I have not read this book, but it looks like it may be useful especially if one is new at this).

Adder
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 07, 2014, 01:04:49 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 22, 2011, 07:02:14 pm »

It is a central component of my path, and from it I can better understand and practise. I think the search for knowledge is a safe reason to venture into mysticism because it is quite an open and no-strings attached proposal, the whole knowledge is power mantra. I've also read a bit over the years about Tibetan Buddhism in this regard, and actually have a few Tibetan items with my altar.

Just a warlock devoted to the Goddess
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 23, 2011, 08:50:15 pm »

Dreaming the Divine by Scott Cunningham  (I have not read this book, but it looks like it may be useful especially if one is new at this).

I have this book. It's... kind of okay. There's a lot of dream interpretation and explaining the symbolism of dreams. Which is only useful if those symbols mean the same thing to you.

He also takes a look at different cultures and what they thought dreams were. If they believed they were messages from the gods, or what have you. I can't vouch for his sources on this information. I have no idea if they are considered academic or not.

There are some rituals, prayers and spells to create a sacred sleep environment. How to set up an altar and prepare yourself for dream messages, how to keep a dream journal, that sort of thing. from a magical perspective it could be useful because you could tailor it to your needs.

I guess it's a lot like other books in that some of it is useful. Other bits, maybe not so much. It is a very easy read and I can see it being helpful in giving someone a jumping off point.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)