The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 03:31:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 03:31:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Goddess Symbols  (Read 6027 times)
clearstar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:09:04 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 23, 2011, 01:29:18 pm »

When searching for a god and goddess statue for my altar I found the perfect one for my god but I am torn between two for the goddess. I have a duck sculpture and an elephant sculpture. All three are the same size and made from the same materiel but I was wondering if the duck or the elephant would be better for the goddess as I'm not sure which is more goddess like and which would more likely offend her.

All suggestions are appreciated!

→ Echo Clearstar.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Otter
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 11, 2011, 03:38:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 23, 2011, 01:42:28 pm »

When searching for a god and goddess statue for my altar I found the perfect one for my god but I am torn between two for the goddess. I have a duck sculpture and an elephant sculpture. All three are the same size and made from the same materiel but I was wondering if the duck or the elephant would be better for the goddess as I'm not sure which is more goddess like and which would more likely offend her.

→ Echo Clearstar.

Since your religion says Wiccan I'm going to assume you're intending to honor the Wiccan God and Goddess. Neither of those statues really stand out to me as being more fitting than the other to Her either. Maybe the fact that you can't decide between them is a sign that you should look for an alternative. You may not have another statue, but there are other symbols that could represent Her: a white candle, flowers, a moon figure, a cup, a cauldron...

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 23, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »

Since your religion says Wiccan I'm going to assume you're intending to honor the Wiccan God and Goddess. Neither of those statues really stand out to me as being more fitting than the other to Her either. Maybe the fact that you can't decide between them is a sign that you should look for an alternative. You may not have another statue, but there are other symbols that could represent Her: a white candle, flowers, a moon figure, a cup, a cauldron...

Isn't there different kinds of Wicca and different thoughts on gods and goddesses?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Otter
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 11, 2011, 03:38:03 pm

Religion: Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 23, 2011, 08:00:51 pm »

Isn't there different kinds of Wicca and different thoughts on gods and goddesses?

Well...there's a God and Goddess of Wicca, and then there's other deities that an eclectic practitioner might choose to honor in a Wiccan context? I guess it would help to know exactly what deities the OP is asking about.

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
clearstar
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 23, 2011, 10:42:18 pm »

I'm not following a specific deity at this time. I was just wondering what a good image for the female side of my altar would be. After doing a bit more research into it and talking to a friend I chose the elephant since it has strong ties with femininity.

→ Echo Clearstar.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 24, 2011, 01:43:26 am »

I'm not following a specific deity at this time. I was just wondering what a good image for the female side of my altar would be. After doing a bit more research into it and talking to a friend I chose the elephant since it has strong ties with femininity.

→ Echo Clearstar.

It does??? Could you please explain that? Smiley  Cause I'm not seeing the connection.
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 24, 2011, 04:05:02 am »

It does??? Could you please explain that? Smiley  Cause I'm not seeing the connection.
my thought actually was the elephant right off the bat,not for any particular reason,but I did envision the clip of a nature film I saw once where the entire heard waited while the mother of a lame baby elephant calf helped awkwardly to get her calf down one side and up the other of a four foot deep dried out river bed.
I picture the calm female with her trunk scooped down and cradling the calf.
and yknow,dumbos mom was pretty amazing if I remember correctly.

clearstar
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 24, 2011, 12:35:53 pm »

There is this link and the research a friend did in one of her books. When I talk to her next I'll get the name of it.

→ Echo Clearstar.
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 24, 2011, 03:28:45 pm »

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work for me  Sad Does anyone else have the same problem or is it my browser playing tricks on me?

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 24, 2011, 05:26:55 pm »

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work for me  Sad Does anyone else have the same problem or is it my browser playing tricks on me?

I have the same problem, but I found the page it was supposed to go to.

http://speakerfortheanimals.blogspot.com/2006/04/elephant-symbol-of-highest-true-self.html

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
PhantomQueen
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 20, 2011, 10:29:39 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 02, 2011, 05:03:57 pm »

→ Echo Clearstar.

I heard that there's an elephant goddess in Hindu worship.  I'm not sure if that is the direction you want to go in or not... It's *your* altar though, so the best thing is to wait a bit and see what feels right after awhile.  Something else might pop up and bite you on the nose!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)