The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 02, 2021, 09:27:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 02, 2021, 09:27:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vodou.  (Read 4034 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 23, 2011, 06:58:49 pm »

I was wiki-clicking the other day and stumbled into the hoodoo/voodoo/zombie pages that proliferate over there. Of course, I became immediately engrossed. So, I am looking for some help in the books about 'the basics' as well as any 'history of' books that can be recommended.

Thanks.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

schwertlilie
Apprentice
Last Login:October 01, 2011, 01:05:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan with Wiccish leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 24, 2011, 11:49:26 pm »

I was wiki-clicking the other day and stumbled into the hoodoo/voodoo/zombie pages that proliferate over there. Of course, I became immediately engrossed. So, I am looking for some help in the books about 'the basics' as well as any 'history of' books that can be recommended.

Thanks.

For Haitian vodou, the only practical introductory book I know of is Kenaz Filan's Haitian Vodou Handbook. I like it because it addresses the issues of being not-Haitian while practicing a Haitian religion and serving Haitian spirits, doesn't completely glaze over the consequences of doing things wrong (like using something you've given as an offering for yourself), and has a large suggested reading list. Kenaz also runs a yahoo group called Tristate Vodou, which is pretty beginner-friendly.

After that, most of the writing I've found is academic. I really want to get my hands on Mama Lola, an ethnography of a Haitian vodou community in New York City, by an anthropologist who became a participant instead of just an observer. (That will have to wait until September, though, when I move to a city with university libraries. Smiley )

Other books I've read include Wade Davis' The Serpent and the Rainbow (an ethnobotanist's account of vodou in the early 1980s, when he visited Haiti to try and learn more about zombis) and Phyllis Galembo's Visions & Voices of Haiti (which is a photo book of vodou ritual, altars, and practice).  I'm still trying to track down copies of Tell My Horse (a 1930s travelogue which includes a section on zombis; the author is black), Alfred Metraux's Voodoo in Haiti (white ethnologist in the late '80s), and Maya Deren's Divine Horsemen (1950s book by the avantgarde filmmaker). All of these I've seen listed as "go-to" books, and most of these have previews available on Google Books. Alternatively, you can try doing an inter-library loan from university libraries.

(If you have a chance to get your hands on a copy of the Divine Horsemen film, do it - for all that it was shot in the '50s & edited in the '80s, it's pretty respectful and avoids a lot of the traps people filming ~exotic things~ tend to fall into.)

I don't know much about New Orleans voodoo or hoodoo/rootwork, but I've heard good things about Sallie Ann Glassman. ymmv.
Tahpenes
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 11:18:36 am

Religion: River-worshipping fox-hugging trancer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 25, 2011, 08:29:12 am »

After that, most of the writing I've found is academic. I really want to get my hands on Mama Lola, an ethnography of a Haitian vodou community in New York City, by an anthropologist who became a participant instead of just an observer. (That will have to wait until September, though, when I move to a city with university libraries.  )

It's on Thriftbooks.

I don't have a lot of experience with Vodou, but I thought Mama Lola was a great book. It seems to give a pretty thorough introduction, and it reads very intimately (though the author is careful to not reveal any of the mysteries she experienced during her initiation).
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 25, 2011, 09:27:56 am »

For Haitian vodou, the only practical introductory book I know of is Kenaz Filan's Haitian Vodou Handbook.

I definitely have to second this book - I've read through most of it and found it to be beginner friendly without watering things down.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 25, 2011, 05:09:08 pm »

For Haitian vodou, the only practical introductory book I know of is Kenaz Filan's Haitian Vodou Handbook. I like it because it addresses the issues of being not-Haitian while practicing a Haitian religion and serving Haitian spirits, doesn't completely glaze over the consequences of doing things wrong (like using something you've given as an offering for yourself), and has a large suggested reading list. Kenaz also runs a yahoo group called Tristate Vodou, which is pretty beginner-friendly.

After that, most of the writing I've found is academic. I really want to get my hands on Mama Lola, an ethnography of a Haitian vodou community in New York City, by an anthropologist who became a participant instead of just an observer. (That will have to wait until September, though, when I move to a city with university libraries. Smiley )

Other books I've read include Wade Davis' The Serpent and the Rainbow (an ethnobotanist's account of vodou in the early 1980s, when he visited Haiti to try and learn more about zombis) and Phyllis Galembo's Visions & Voices of Haiti (which is a photo book of vodou ritual, altars, and practice).  I'm still trying to track down copies of Tell My Horse (a 1930s travelogue which includes a section on zombis; the author is black), Alfred Metraux's Voodoo in Haiti (white ethnologist in the late '80s), and Maya Deren's Divine Horsemen (1950s book by the avantgarde filmmaker). All of these I've seen listed as "go-to" books, and most of these have previews available on Google Books. Alternatively, you can try doing an inter-library loan from university libraries.

(If you have a chance to get your hands on a copy of the Divine Horsemen film, do it - for all that it was shot in the '50s & edited in the '80s, it's pretty respectful and avoids a lot of the traps people filming ~exotic things~ tend to fall into.)

I don't know much about New Orleans voodoo or hoodoo/rootwork, but I've heard good things about Sallie Ann Glassman. ymmv.

Thank you so much!

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 25, 2011, 08:54:49 pm »

Thank you so much!

from what I've read,it seems to be that to use a simplistic example: hoodoo is to voudou the same way that witchcraft is to Wicca.
but all the literary suggestion you've been given I would second,I've read bits of divine horsemen and seen bits of the movie of the same. enthralling.
also a lot of the inner contents of divine horsemen is available to read right on the net thru the google book search.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)