The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2017, 02:26:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 02:26:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cairo festival calendar  (Read 3379 times)
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am
United States United States

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 24, 2011, 10:55:44 am »

Does anyone know where I can find this for free online?  Or even a copy of The Cairo Calendar No.86637?  I saw it on amazon but of course, it was worth hundreds of dollars that I donīt have.  Iīm really close to finishing my ideal festival calendar based on the rise of Sopdet in Cairo, but I donīt want to just rely on the festival list in Eye of the Sun because itīs a compendium of various festival calendars and itīs not necessarily noted from which calendar each festival comes.  Same problem with The Ancient Egyptian Prayer Book.  I need a list based on the monthly dates themselves, not the Julian translations.  Any help would be really appreciated!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 24, 2011, 02:42:39 pm »

Does anyone know where I can find this for free online?  Or even a copy of The Cairo Calendar No.86637?  I saw it on amazon but of course, it was worth hundreds of dollars that I donīt have.  Iīm really close to finishing my ideal festival calendar based on the rise of Sopdet in Cairo, but I donīt want to just rely on the festival list in Eye of the Sun because itīs a compendium of various festival calendars and itīs not necessarily noted from which calendar each festival comes.  Same problem with The Ancient Egyptian Prayer Book.  I need a list based on the monthly dates themselves, not the Julian translations.  Any help would be really appreciated!

The Cairo Calendar is in Bob Brier's book Ancient Egyptian Magic. 

There is also El-Sabban's book Temple Festival Calendars on the subject which is categorized by temple, city and I think time period. 

My suggestion would be to check out these books from the library.  These all have the Kemetic dates listed. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Bastemhet
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 24, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

The Cairo Calendar is in Bob Brier's book Ancient Egyptian Magic. 

There is also El-Sabban's book Temple Festival Calendars on the subject which is categorized by temple, city and I think time period. 

My suggestion would be to check out these books from the library.  These all have the Kemetic dates listed. 

Wish I could.  I was hoping to avoid using the library or buying because there's a very limited selection of English books here in Spain and I'm not even sure if there's inter-library loan here.  I have El-Sabban's book but he doesn't list any calendars for Cairo or Memphis.  Do you know if the Brier book has JUST Cairo or is it a mixture of Cairo with other temple calendars?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 24, 2011, 05:42:33 pm »

Wish I could.  I was hoping to avoid using the library or buying because there's a very limited selection of English books here in Spain and I'm not even sure if there's inter-library loan here.  I have El-Sabban's book but he doesn't list any calendars for Cairo or Memphis.  Do you know if the Brier book has JUST Cairo or is it a mixture of Cairo with other temple calendars?

It's just the Cairo Calendar which as far as I understand is a papyrus and not etched on a temple wall. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Bastemhet
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 24, 2011, 05:44:13 pm »

It's just the Cairo Calendar which as far as I understand is a papyrus and not etched on a temple wall. 

Pfft, that would explain why it isn't in El Sabban's book.  Thanks!

Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 24, 2011, 07:31:15 pm »

Not sure, but is this what you're looking for?

http://basttemple.com/CairoCalendar.aspx

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Bastemhet
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 24, 2011, 07:44:55 pm »

Not sure, but is this what you're looking for?

http://basttemple.com/CairoCalendar.aspx

Wow, it looks like it is!  Thank you very much!

Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 24, 2011, 08:05:48 pm »

Wow, it looks like it is!  Thank you very much!

You're welcome, hope it helps with whatever you need it for.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)