The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 12:53:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 12:53:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rituals and Devotions in CR and Celtic Polytheism  (Read 6367 times)
Geroth
Apprentice
Last Login:August 08, 2017, 03:57:25 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Agnostic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 26, 2011, 08:07:53 am »

Hi, I am relatively new to Paganism but I am keen to learn more about CR and Celtic tradition in general. I read a little bit about it on the CR FAQ but it didn't really go into much detail about rituals. How exactly do you do rituals and devotions? Is there any form of set ritual structure? Also, I feel attracted to the Norse god, Thor. Is possible to include him in Celtic rituals?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 26, 2011, 01:42:28 pm »

Hi, I am relatively new to Paganism but I am keen to learn more about CR and Celtic tradition in general. I read a little bit about it on the CR FAQ but it didn't really go into much detail about rituals. How exactly do you do rituals and devotions? Is there any form of set ritual structure? Also, I feel attracted to the Norse god, Thor. Is possible to include him in Celtic rituals?

I looked into CR rituals myself lately and I found the following two websites quite helpful:

http://www.gaolnaofa.com/ - the site has information on how to do a solitary ritual, and also about daily devotions, prayers, etc.

http://tairis.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101:welcome&catid=35:home&Itemid=1
this site seems to focus more on Scottish Recon, but there's also a lot of information on Irish CR (and possibly Welsh, I haven't looked into their information on Wales).

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 26, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »

I looked into CR rituals myself lately and I found the following two websites quite helpful:

http://www.gaolnaofa.com/ - the site has information on how to do a solitary ritual, and also about daily devotions, prayers, etc.

http://tairis.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101:welcome&catid=35:home&Itemid=1
this site seems to focus more on Scottish Recon, but there's also a lot of information on Irish CR (and possibly Welsh, I haven't looked into their information on Wales).
Two great sites, and a good member behind both Wink

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Seren
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2014, 04:19:00 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 26, 2011, 04:18:12 pm »

Two great sites, and a good member behind both Wink

*blushes furiously* Thanks. Tairis is all my own work, but I only contribute bits towards Gaol Naofa; there's a few of us who contribute to the site there, including Gorm.

[/quote]

There isn't a set ritual structure as such, though there are some elements that tend to be quite common to a lot of practitioners; certain groups might have their own rituals and set structures, but that doesn't mean that they're universal throughout CR.

Offerings and simple prayers form the backbone of Gaelic practice for most (I can't speak for other Celtic traditions), and a lot of festival practices are drawn from the living traditions still found today, in addition to folk customs that have been recorded over the past few centuries. Of the websites you've been pointed to, I'd recommend taking a look at:

Ritual Within Gaelic Polytheism - will give you an introduction and a general overview
(De)constructing Reconstructionist Ritual - a little more in-depth, kind of a companion piece to the first article, with a list of some ritual examples you can look at
Daily Rites - will give you an idea of some examples of what can be done on a daily basis
Daily Practices - could do with an overhaul but that's the intro to some examples I give on my own site

As a general rule, non-Celtic gods don't tend to be mixed in with CR practices. In some instances there can be precedences for syncreticism (e.g. Gallo-Roman practice), but if it's not historically attested then it can't really be called reconstructionist per se. Some might argue that since syncretism is attested at all, then it's OK to syncretise at will. Others argue that in trying to reconstruct practices, it's best to start with what we know from the sources, and stay more strictly within those lines (it could be argued, for one, that syncretism is only really found when we see instances of conquest from those other cultures that syncretised with the native practices). There's also the question of at what point a culturally-focused path strays too far from that culture, and adding in other culture's gods raises issues for both sets of gods from a recon perspective...It's a tricky issue, from a strictly reconstructionist perspective, to be honest. Many end up deciding to either forge their own path, or choose to honour gods within their own cultural practices.
Geroth
Apprentice
Last Login:August 08, 2017, 03:57:25 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Agnostic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 27, 2011, 12:21:00 am »

Thank you so much for the links. I am also curious to hear how you celebrate festivals and holidays such as Imbolc, Samhain and Bealtaine from a solitary perspective?
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 28, 2011, 12:23:29 am »

Thank you so much for the links. I am also curious to hear how you celebrate festivals and holidays such as Imbolc, Samhain and Bealtaine from a solitary perspective?

Seren's website is really fantastic and comprehensive.  You really can't do better than that for info on this topic.

That said, there are a few books that might also interest you.  Fairly recently (within the last few years), a couple of books have come out:  Celtic Flame: An Insider's Guide to Irish Pagan Tradition, by Aedh Rua, and Celtic Spirit-Fire: An Adventurous Journey Into The Sacred World, by Michael J. McCoy.  I have them, but have not read them completely, so I can't recommend them.  However, they can certainly provide some ritual structures and examples, as well as inspiration.

An older book, The Apple Branch:  A Path to Celtic Ritual, by Alexei Kondratiev, is somewhat dated, but still useful.  It was written before the Celtic Recon "movement" really got started, so it's a bit on the "Wiccish" side.  Still very good for the history and for inspiration, as is all of Alexei's work.

You should definitely check out Erynn Laurie's website.  She has a section on rituals, which provides some excellent examples. 

You might also want to look at the IMBAS website.  Although the organization is basically defunct, the site still has good material, including (IIRC) at leastjavascript:void(0); one ritual example.

We have a Flamekeeping Cill (the kind of Flamekeeping that honors the Irish Goddess Brighid, not the Flamekeeping path developed by TC's own HeartShadow, which has nothing to do with Brighid or anything Celtic) here on TC.  Take a look at the threads in the Cill SIG for discussion of how Cill members celebrate Imbolc.  If you're specifically interested in Imbolc, I can provide a few resources on that festival.

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.