The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 11:49:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 11:49:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New to everything, need some answers, and advice  (Read 3661 times)
Kimmieflygirl
Last Login:January 18, 2013, 01:17:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 26, 2011, 05:54:20 pm »

Hi everyone!
I've recently sparked an intrest in Paganism, due to my cousin and aunt converting within the last few years. Ive read a few books, including Teen Witch, by Silver Ravenwolf. Because I'm new, I have a few questions.
Where do people usually start when they begin looking into the religion? What is a good book on it?
Because I'm a teen, some rituals that I have been reading about require wine, which I do not have access to. Is there a substitution I could use?
I don't have a cauldron as required for some rituals. What would be a good substitution?
For rituals, some require incense. Are these stick incense or another kind?
What would be some good books to get more basic information about Paganism? Im very interested in Celtic and Wiccan.
Thank you!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

clearstar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:09:04 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 26, 2011, 06:26:24 pm »

I started out with that book myself, I found it to be interesting.

Other books I've liked are A Practical Guide to Witchcraft and Magic Spells by Cassandra Eason, The Goddess Path and the Goddess Companion by Patricia Monaghan, Witchcrafting by Phyllis Curott,Wicca For Life by Raymond Buckland and the Green Witchcraft books by Ann Moura (Aoumeil).

For a cauldron I use a small metal bowl since it's safe to burn things in. I don't know about the wine part since I'm of age.

I hoped that helped a bit.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 26, 2011, 06:42:42 pm »

Where do people usually start when they begin looking into the religion? What is a good book on it?

"Paganism" isn't just one religion. It's an umbrella term for many, many different religions - Wicca, Druidry, various ethnic faiths (for example, Greek or Norse Paganism), and others. Silver RavenWolf writes primarily about one type of Wicca. Wicca, like Christianity, has many different types of paths.

For a good overview of different types of Paganism, I would suggest:

Because I'm a teen, some rituals that I have been reading about require wine, which I do not have access to. Is there a substitution I could use?

It depends on which tradition you work with. Until I was old enough to buy booze, I just used juice or water as an offering.

I don't have a cauldron as required for some rituals. What would be a good substitution?

Are you using it to store water or to burn things? Anything bowl-shaped can store water. To burn herbs or such in a cauldron, you'd want to get a non-flammable container set on something equally non-flammable so it doesn't set your workspace on fire.

Depends on what the ritual says. Usually I use whatever I have on hand, and that's stick incense or the kind that comes in cones.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 26, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »

Hi everyone!
I've recently sparked an intrest in Paganism, due to my cousin and aunt converting within the last few years. Ive read a few books, including Teen Witch, by Silver Ravenwolf. Because I'm new, I have a few questions.

Others have already covered the fact that Paganism is an umbrella term for a bunch of different religions - my suggestions for places to start for religious witchcraft (which includes Wicca, and a number of other things, some more related to each other than others) is over here: http://gleewood.org/seeking/suggested-reading/introductory-books/

All the books on it are relatively recent (no more than ten years old or so) and should be pretty widely available, both new and used. I also talk about why I suggest them in some detail.

(I'm glad for additional questions, but my chances of answering tomorrow are slimish: I'm currently travelling for a job interview.)

Depends on what you're using it for. If it's an offering to a deity, depends a little on what that deity likes - herbal tea (from easy-to-get culinary herbs) works for some, water works for some, juice works for some.

When I do ritual, I feel very strongly that liquid that is 'living' (i.e. made by the interaction of living beings through fermentation or whatever) holds energy a lot better than other options - but for people who don't drink alcohol, that can also include things like yogurt-based drinks, kefir, or all sorts of other things along those lines. I find that local, pure water sources do well, but in my current home, they're a little tricky to get at.

(Also, while I feel strongly about this, it's something that is not as relevant to very early practice anyway: I'm picky about it, but it's because a lot of specific work I'm doing is easier when I use a tool that holds energy in that way. If you aren't, not such a big deal.)

Depends on what you're doing. If you're mixing liquids, a suitable pot or bowl is fine. If you want to burn something, however, a cauldron works better for a variety of reasons (heat dispersal, safety, containing fragments of ash/etc.)

You can often find inexpensive cauldrons designed for camping at farm stores, camping stores, etc. A small one (a couple of inches across) will do really well for lots of one-person ritual uses, and they often run $20-30 in those places. Not the cheapest thing ever, but not a ton more than some books. (Of course, if the issue is people who might comment on it, that might not help, but the small ones are pretty easy to tuck out of sight, too.)

Depends on what you're doing (yes, that'd be a theme here...) My tradition almost always uses stick incense, because part of our ritual involves carrying the incense in a certain way. Sticks also burn longer while being more easily mobile than cones or charcoal/loose incense.

However, loose incense can be very effective if what you want is 5 minutes of a very particular incense, which then dissipates quickly. (That said, I rarely bother: both because fussing with getting the incense charcoal to light and so on distracts me from other ritual things I get more out of, and because I have asthma, and the charcoal sometimes makes my lungs grumpy, where other incense types do less, as long as I pick good quality incense with particular kinds of cores.)]

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
ryman19
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 12:55:55 am

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 04, 2011, 02:05:48 am »

What would be some good books to get more basic information about Paganism? Im very interested in Celtic and Wiccan.

i feel that something that has not been said yet is that tools such as the cauldron or incense or even wine are not truly needed. ritual can be preformed through many means. i have done full blown rituals with all the bells and whistles and i have done rituals where i visualize everything in a light meditative state. both work perfectly well for me, both get me connected to the Goddess and the God and both accomplish what i needed them to at the time. Smiley
arkeiryn
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 09:36:26 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pantheistic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 04, 2011, 03:31:35 am »

For a good overview of different types of Paganism, I would suggest:

I second this suggestion. It's the book that's actually got me seriously considering paganism. I also have Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham. I get the impression that he is well regarded in non-super-traditionalist Wiccan circles, and it certainly is a good book -- just Wicca is not for me Wink

The next few books on my reading list are actually about physics rather than paganism, but I'll list them anyway, with the caveat that I haven't actually read them yet, I am pantheistic rather than Celtic/Wiccan, and a bit of a science geek Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)