The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 18, 2021, 08:01:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2021, 08:01:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Blood Dye  (Read 2641 times)
Skydaughter
Apprentice
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 10:56:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 26, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »

I had an idea to make ritual jewelry from certain wood I've found that have magical properties (for example oak and cedar etc). These woods already have their own energy, but I was wondering if I could perhaps increase the connection between myself and the wood's properties by adding a little of my blood to them. Obviously I'd have to be very careful who had access to them once done as that could be very dangerous for me if in the wrong hands, but I'm a solitary and don't share my tools with anyone (so not too worried about it).

I saw this type of thing done in a movie (I know right  Roll Eyes ) in The Red Violin. I think the violin was painted with a woman's blood (after she was murdered and with her own hair as a paintbrush if I recall correctly). I wanted to know if anyone has every tried anything like this. (Not the murdering, just painting with their own blood). I'm just thinking about a prick to the finger so not a bunch of layers or a majorly deep color... just for the magical bond.

Thanks for any tips or advice!

"All around you are spirits, Child. They live in the earth, the water, the sky... If you listen, they will guide you." ~ Grandmother Willow

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 26, 2011, 08:13:47 pm »

I saw this type of thing done in a movie (I know right  Roll Eyes ) in The Red Violin. I think the violin was painted with a woman's blood (after she was murdered and with her own hair as a paintbrush if I recall correctly).

First, a slight correction: the woman died during childbirth, along with her child.  The painting was done by her husband, likely as a way of preserving her memory and spirit via the violin that was his masterwork.  Or he may have gone slightly mad with grief and mutilated her body a bit.  Or a little of both.  Wink

I had an idea to make ritual jewelry from certain wood I've found that have magical properties (for example oak and cedar etc). These woods already have their own energy, but I was wondering if I could perhaps increase the connection between myself and the wood's properties by adding a little of my blood to them.

You could, yes, if you were so inclined.  Personally, I'm not partial to using blood as a binding or consecrating agent for tools.  In my experience, it's just as effective to imbibe them with your energy through handling and use. 

Obviously I'd have to be very careful who had access to them once done as that could be very dangerous for me if in the wrong hands

Er, okay.  Can I ask why you think this would be dangerous? Aside from anything sharp and pointy which would have the potential to spread bloodborne pathogens? 

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: June 26, 2011, 08:50:38 pm »

Er, okay.  Can I ask why you think this would be dangerous? Aside from anything sharp and pointy which would have the potential to spread bloodborne pathogens?

The general theory is that anything of your body that you use in magic maintains its connection to you.  Otherwise, there wouldn't be much point in consecrating things in blood, or in using bodily fluids in witch bottles, etc.  The connection means that the tools are part of you and work for you the way your hand or your eyes work for you.

This connection has to be two-way in order not to atrophy over time, which is where the danger comes in.  You influence your connected tools more closely than unconnected ones, and theoretically someone who wished to influence you could do something to those tools.  It's more complicated than that - one of the theories of witch bottles is that they misdirect curses and such to the bottle as if it was you, and the bottle absorbs the effect without passing it on to you.  Other uses, however, have protective witch bottles remain connected to you and warn you when things pass over them.

Either way, a connection is formed when you use things like blood, sperm, hair, nail clippings, etc. and that connection can be used against you by someone who knows what they are doing.  Any tools consecrated in such a manner may be more powerful, but they carry a danger if you lose them or they are stolen.

Some people don't see the two-way part when they look at consecrating in blood.  They think their blood will make their tools more powerful because it is an intimate substance that will bind their tools to them.  They don't see the other side, that they are bound to and influenced by their tools in the same manner.

It's not necessarily massively dangerous, and the connection can be broken if necessary, but it is one of the things to consider.  Anything we bind to us, we are bound to.  It's something to take into consideration.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 26, 2011, 09:56:00 pm »

It's not necessarily massively dangerous, and the connection can be broken if necessary, but it is one of the things to consider.  Anything we bind to us, we are bound to.  It's something to take into consideration.

Thanks Absent.  I'm fairly familiar with the general theory, just interested in hearing what the OP's take on it was. 

Skydaughter
Apprentice
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 10:56:55 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 27, 2011, 02:02:28 am »

First, a slight correction: the woman died during childbirth, along with her child.  The painting was done by her husband, likely as a way of preserving her memory and spirit via the violin that was his masterwork.  Or he may have gone slightly mad with grief and mutilated her body a bit.  Or a little of both.  Wink

Thank you for the correction (it's been a minute since I've seen it and I've only seen it once  Embarrassed )

Absent pretty much hit it on the nose... (thank you for explaining that, you did so awesomely Grin ) I am aware of the two-way magical traffic with such items and if someone who knew it was connected to me as strongly as blood (physical life source) were to get a hold of these things, they could use that link to do me harm. Don't want that  Wink .

I have been told that I have a natural gift for healing and I believe this is a Goddess given gift. What I'm trying to do is enhance the energy of my gift by connecting myself to the natural energies of this world (which I also believe are Goddess given to help us). Blood to me is a very powerful symbol of life and death... life because as a woman I shed it every month as a sign of my ability to grow life - death because losing too much of it, well you get the idea... That's my reasoning for using blood rather than energy alone.  Smiley

"All around you are spirits, Child. They live in the earth, the water, the sky... If you listen, they will guide you." ~ Grandmother Willow

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)