The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 03:40:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 03:40:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Daggers and swords  (Read 4359 times)
Kimmieflygirl
Last Login:January 18, 2013, 01:17:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 27, 2011, 11:26:12 am »

Knives, daggers, swords, anything sharp and knife like is something that I don't do. I rarely even use kitchen knifes, I had a horrible experience when I was little. Is there something else I can use? Rituals Ive been reading about call for them for many things.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: June 27, 2011, 11:36:12 am »

Knives, daggers, swords, anything sharp and knife like is something that I don't do. I rarely even use kitchen knifes, I had a horrible experience when I was little. Is there something else I can use? Rituals Ive been reading about call for them for many things.

You don't like them, you don't use them.  Smiley
I've seen 'athames' made from wood (to get around some weapon laws I guess, or to avoid trouble with the police).
Maybe this is an alternative?

OTOH you can use your index finger to direct energy, or some pencil or pen to scratch words into candles.
There is always a way to substitute a tool. Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 27, 2011, 12:44:34 pm »

Depends on what your feel the sharp implement needs to be used for. There were rites that called for knives where I more or less omitted the knife, and used something else. Sometimes using my hand, a finger, a stick, wand- something of that nature. Tools are just tools. They can be worked around.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 27, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »

It really depends on what you're trying to do.

I mean, yes you can sub out one tool for another, but if you need to chop something, you're going to need a sharp edge.  If you want to burn something, you're going to need a lighter or matches.  etc.  You can substitute, but context MATTERS.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 27, 2011, 09:36:51 pm »

It really does depend on what you're trying to do. As one of my favorite sources says, "The best symbol for a sharp knife is a sharp knife", and depending on what you're doing and how you're approaching it, other solutions may or may not work instead.

(One thing I talk about with students who have a hard time with blades - though obviously, not the easiest thing if there's direct trauma involved - is to think about how crucial a simple blade was to everyday life up until quite recently: it was the tool you ate with, sliced bread with, made useful items with, etc. much much much more often than it was something you would use to defend yourself or do harm to other people with.)

Some alternatives:
- using two fingers (usually index + middle) of your dominant hand to direct energy: the reason for using two is that it's less likely to be a casual gesture you make at other times: you want to be deliberate about the fact you're using your hand as a tool to direct energy.

- kitchen shears for cutting-stuff tasks. (I also use an oversize bent-open safety pin for carving candles, because I get a clearer line.)

- using a wood or stone blade with a blunt edge instead. (This is, weirdly, my least favorite of the choices, because it doesn't hold/run energy the same way, and it's not as useful as a tool-that-replaces-a-use (like kitchen shears)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 28, 2011, 08:16:40 am »

It really does depend on what you're trying to do. As one of my favorite sources says, "The best symbol for a sharp knife is a sharp knife", and depending on what you're doing and how you're approaching it, other solutions may or may not work instead.

(One thing I talk about with students who have a hard time with blades - though obviously, not the easiest thing if there's direct trauma involved - is to think about how crucial a simple blade was to everyday life up until quite recently: it was the tool you ate with, sliced bread with, made useful items with, etc. much much much more often than it was something you would use to defend yourself or do harm to other people with.)

Some alternatives:
- using two fingers (usually index + middle) of your dominant hand to direct energy: the reason for using two is that it's less likely to be a casual gesture you make at other times: you want to be deliberate about the fact you're using your hand as a tool to direct energy.

- kitchen shears for cutting-stuff tasks. (I also use an oversize bent-open safety pin for carving candles, because I get a clearer line.)

- using a wood or stone blade with a blunt edge instead. (This is, weirdly, my least favorite of the choices, because it doesn't hold/run energy the same way, and it's not as useful as a tool-that-replaces-a-use (like kitchen shears)

Back when I used those kinds of tools, I used garden shears.  The same ones I used in the garden - I didn't separate.  But those suckers had POWER.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 28, 2011, 10:04:26 am »

Let me add the disclaimer all that follows is my own personal belief and opinions so it may not apply.

The first thing I would ask before suggesting is what do those items represent to you?  When you think of an edged item what come to mind and what do you atribute to it?  When you hold one what do you feel?  Do you feel the metal and energy or do you simply recall your own fear and have no connection to the items energy?

For me they are all representations of both Earth and Fire.  Yet they also represent transmutation & transformatin of energy from one form to another.  Change from raw unfocused energy and form to directed and pointed purpose.  The pomel is usually of no concern to the general nature of the item for it is the balance and weight of the blade that makes it up.  It is the harnessing of deep earth energies that formed the bones subjected to intense pressures and fires to create the shape and strength. 

As such for me their is no other item I can use to represent it, an apple is an apple and an orange is an orange and no matter how hard one tries the apple can not be an orange or take its place.

The other thing I would ask is, Have you faced the fear of your own shadow?  That something happened to you to make you fear the blade is apparent, yet to me it also seem's apparent that the fear holds you.

In that case no matter what you substitute in its place it still will fail for the fear lingers and pollutes your purpose.  In your heart you will know the item selected was done so because of your fear of the called for material.  It's sort of like thinking that the spell or ritual calls for blood but you substitue ketchup in its place.  Yet the true componet is lost for it was not that which was called for nor anticipated.

Granted one might change the elements or componets but that is usually done in testing stages to see how it is received and accepted.  Copper has a different feel and energy than Brass for instance, both differing from Iron or Steel.  Yet I personaly would not try to follow something from another and change the parts while I did the ceremony or ritual.  Mostly from the reasoning that I have acknowledged the power and purpose of their action and attempted to recreate it.  But also that I understand the purpose and reasoning for all the parts that make it up and the why of each usage.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)