The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 04, 2020, 08:55:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 08:55:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pet Carpet Cleaning  (Read 43771 times)
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 29, 2011, 01:37:51 pm »

Hi all.

My cat has occasional accidents because her UTI illness is chronic.  I have her on special food, so that helps her most of the time, but sometimes she goes on the carpet.  I clean it up with clorox wipes, Resolve carpet cleaner and when I vacuum sometimes I put down baking soda.  I also have two litter boxes for her. 

It got so bad once that I had to pay someone to come and clean the carpets.  Money is a little tight right now so that's not so feasible at the moment.   She's had accidents again.  I called my vet so I can get antibiotics for her if she needs them, but I was wondering if any of you could help me with ideas on how to take care of my carpet. 

Is there a cheap way to clean the carpet myself rather than paying someone else to do it for me?  Is there a home remedy that does the same thing like instead of a floor wash a carpet wash? 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 29, 2011, 02:18:56 pm »

Is there a cheap way to clean the carpet myself rather than paying someone else to do it for me?  Is there a home remedy that does the same thing like instead of a floor wash a carpet wash? 

I've had a similar issue with Sweet Pea, my aging mini-Dach. She has horrific bladder control when she's sleeping (for whatever reason) and tends to leak wherever she's taking a nap. She also has a tendency to have temper tantrums, which are, of course, "I SHALL PEE HERE!!!" Ugh. I love that dog but she drives me insane. Of course, I rent so this poses a massive problem.

I've tried just about every carpet cleaner from Wal-Mart that you can think of and most of them work so-so to not at all. The smell doesn't come out entirely or the stain is still there. So, I went out and bought a steam cleaner. This option is, also, so-so. For one, it's expensive and for two, it's time consuming. Still, it does work really well. (If you want to know, I have the Bissell SpotBot Pet) The only problem is that while you can get away with using dish soap in the steamer, it doesn't clean nearly as well as the SUPER EXPENSIVE recommended crap.

So, now I'm at my wit's end. I've actually considered having a professional come in here and cleaning the carpets (and I'll probably do that, anyway, if/when we move out). I'm at the "baking soda and cinnamon" end of things since it's cheap and easy. I have noticed, however, that the baking soda only soaks up so much of the smell and the cinnamon lasts for two days.  Angry And of course, the original stain is there for who knows how long before you've finally soaked up enough of it with the baking soda.

Supposedly, if you mix vinegar and hot water and pat it on the stain in question it's supposed to get rid of it. I've tried it and it was more time-consuming than pulling out my steam cleaner. (And oh, the back pain from being hunched over for so long.) According to this website, you mix, salt and borax and vinegar. You put the paste on the stain in question and then vacuum it up after a few hours.

Good luck! And you know, let me know if you find a good substitute to a professional? Thanks.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 29, 2011, 03:08:58 pm »

Hi all.

My cat has occasional accidents because her UTI illness is chronic.  I have her on special food, so that helps her most of the time, but sometimes she goes on the carpet.  I clean it up with clorox wipes, Resolve carpet cleaner and when I vacuum sometimes I put down baking soda.  I also have two litter boxes for her. 

It got so bad once that I had to pay someone to come and clean the carpets.  Money is a little tight right now so that's not so feasible at the moment.   She's had accidents again.  I called my vet so I can get antibiotics for her if she needs them, but I was wondering if any of you could help me with ideas on how to take care of my carpet. 

Rent a carpet steam cleaner at your local home center or grocery store. It was a life saver for me when I had carpet and multiple pets.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 29, 2011, 03:22:58 pm »

Hi all.

We have had good results with:  http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3809329&lmdn=Cat

I have also heard that white vinegar is supposed to work

AntlerandHerb.com
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 29, 2011, 03:25:57 pm »

Rent a carpet steam cleaner at your local home center or grocery store. It was a life saver for me when I had carpet and multiple pets.

Speaking as someone who actually cleaned carpets professionally, this is probably the best option short of getting someone to do it.  However, to my knowledge the shop vacs only come with the chemical you mix in the water to put in the machine itself.  For better results, you need to mix a different chemical (or two since we are talking about something that would require a deodorizer) and spray it on the carpet before cleaning.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 29, 2011, 03:34:15 pm »

I've used the salt/borax/white vinegar/water thing before, and it worked as long as the stain was fairly fresh.[\i] On old, set-in messes, not so much. No question but it's an inexpensive method, for sure.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
woodhick
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 03:34:42 pm

Religion: old pagan

Blog entries (0)

sawoodhick

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 29, 2011, 03:35:10 pm »

I have the problem of my cat eating too fast and puking all over the carpet, which because i rent, is always white! I have a "Little Green Machine" and I love it! I mix some oxi-clean and water together and run it through the machine and it works wonders. The only thing is heat, look for the green machine with the heater! its even got diarrhea out of the carpet from the dog when she was sick...
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 29, 2011, 06:54:35 pm »

Speaking as someone who actually cleaned carpets professionally, this is probably the best option short of getting someone to do it.  However, to my knowledge the shop vacs only come with the chemical you mix in the water to put in the machine itself.  For better results, you need to mix a different chemical (or two since we are talking about something that would require a deodorizer) and spray it on the carpet before cleaning.

I think I've done it both ways, but it's been years (and I mean YEARS) since I had pets and carpet.

I just know Rug Doctor was my best bud on many a weekend.

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 29, 2011, 08:53:12 pm »

I have the problem of my cat eating too fast and puking all over the carpet, which because i rent, is always white!<snippage>

This is one of the Great Mysteries of teh Universe, in my world. WHY put WHITE carpeting in a RENTAL unit? I mean, seriously! I know, "White goes with everything"--but come ON. A nice light gray would go with just about everything, too. Right? Of course right.

/tangent

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 29, 2011, 09:21:07 pm »

This is one of the Great Mysteries of teh Universe, in my world. WHY put WHITE carpeting in a RENTAL unit? I mean, seriously! I know, "White goes with everything"--but come ON. A nice light gray would go with just about everything, too. Right? Of course right.

/tangent

Ugh I despise carpet, if I were a land lord I'd ban it. Its messy, traps dirt/allergens, and is impossible to keep clean, years ago we pulled all the carpet from our house way easier with pets.

As far as stains goo be gone is great with things like gum etc and has a pleasant scent, ime white vinegar and baking soda chew through damn near anything (years old stains on cheap linoleum and built up soap scum for instance) but again, I haven't used it much on carpet or cloth.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 29, 2011, 10:24:36 pm »

I wanted to thank everyone for responding and helping me out. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 29, 2011, 10:27:32 pm »

I'll see if my grocery store does this.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

SatAset
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 29, 2011, 10:31:29 pm »

According to this website,[/url] you mix, salt and borax and vinegar. You put the paste on the stain in question and then vacuum it up after a few hours.

I think I'll try this first.  What about using baking soda, salt and vinegar instead if I  can't find borax? 

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 29, 2011, 11:14:52 pm »

I think I'll try this first.  What about using baking soda, salt and vinegar instead if I  can't find borax? 

If you've got a decent grocery store, you should be able to find it. Check with the laundry detergents and cleaning stuff. Can't remember where I found it last time.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: June 29, 2011, 11:34:25 pm »

If you've got a decent grocery store, you should be able to find it. Check with the laundry detergents and cleaning stuff. Can't remember where I found it last time.

I think they would be more likely to be found in large chain stores (f/x I've seen Rug Doctors at K-Mart).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)