The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 06:35:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 06:35:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Apricot/plum ideas?  (Read 5386 times)
Ama
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 01:49:50 am
United States United States

Religion: spiritually in tune, not religiously loyal.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 29, 2011, 07:41:25 pm »

First off, let me say that I am totally FREAKING STOKED to see that The Cauldron has a cooking SIG. I just joined here a little while ago, to expand my religious knowledge. The fact that it has other topics to discuss makes it even more amazing. :]

So, anyway.
Today I was helping my roommate's grandmother with some things in her yard. She has a huge garden, with many fruit trees and vegetables and things. Being the time of year it is, all of her apricots and her plums were ripe. So, I came home with two grocery bags full of them.

Do any of you have any interesting recipes or ideas for these?
I was thinking of jam.... but I've never really made that before.
I need some way to make use of them. I'd hate them to waste.

Some have a style that they work hard to refine,
and so they walk a crooked line.
But she can't understand why anyone would try
to walk a line when they could fly.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 29, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »

One recipe I found was for spiced plum vodka. Cheesy Basically just plums, vodka, and assorted spices like cinnamon, star anise, lemon rind, ginger, and/or cloves (you could also add sugar for added sweetness). Not sure how many plums go into it, however. But basically you put them all in the bottle or a mason jar, and let it sit for several months (the longer the better) in a dark, cool place. Then when you want to drink it, strain with some cheesecloth, and enjoy!

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: June 29, 2011, 08:09:13 pm »

No time like the present.  Smiley  If you buy a box of pectin, usually it'll have the recipes included. You need fruit, lots of sugar, the pectin (you can make jam without added pectin, but it takes longer and is fussier), and something to put it in.  If you don't want to try full-on canning, I've had great luck with freezing most jams.  (And plum jam is seriously super-yummy.)

You can also roast apricots and plums in the oven--I don't have a recipe handy, but I'm sure they're easily found.  I bet they'd work well grilled as a side dish for burgers or what have you, too, if you've already got the grill fired up.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 30, 2011, 01:13:44 am »

Home dried apricots are good, if you have the space and the sun to do it. My mom used to do something with sulfur. I'll have to ask what exactly it was.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
sugarmagnolia
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 02:38:03 am

Religion: eclectic with feri roots

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 30, 2011, 02:07:36 am »

First off, let me say that I am totally FREAKING STOKED to see that The Cauldron has a cooking SIG. I just joined here a little while ago, to expand my religious knowledge. The fact that it has other topics to discuss makes it even more amazing. :]

So, anyway.
Today I was helping my roommate's grandmother with some things in her yard. She has a huge garden, with many fruit trees and vegetables and things. Being the time of year it is, all of her apricots and her plums were ripe. So, I came home with two grocery bags full of them.

If you don't want  to make jam out of all of them, you can freeze them.  Peel the skins off (or not, it's up to you) sprinkle some lemon juice on them to keep them from turning brown and either sprinkle sugar over them or freeze them plain. 

I recommend the Ball Blue Book  for recipies and directions.  You will need a boiling water bath canner unless you plan on freezing your jams.  Granted, my grandma never put her jams in the water bath, processing the filled jars in one will help ensure a proper seal. 
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 30, 2011, 02:18:02 am »

Crumbles, pies and tarts! Always favourites in my family.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 30, 2011, 03:34:11 am »

Crumbles, pies and tarts! Always favourites in my family.

I was going to suggest pie too! Never had plum pie, but I once made apricot pie. Had to use canned ones (can't get enough fresh ones around here) but it was still good. I can only imagine how much better it would be with fresh fruit.

Apricots also apparently go well with pork. I'm not really a big meat-eater, but my family seems to like it. And there's apricot salsas you can make if you're into that sort of thing.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: June 30, 2011, 05:17:07 am »

Granted, my grandma never put her jams in the water bath, processing the filled jars in one will help ensure a proper seal. 

Processing in the water bath, as I understand it, is actually about sterilization.  You can get a good seal even without it--but you will not have brought the food up to the right temperature for long enough to kill all the nasties, and you may be sealing bacteria in with the food that will come back to haunt you later.

Granted that my grandma probably didn't used to worry too much about it either, but I feel like with food poisoning it's a case of better safe than sorry...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Psychopomp Valentine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 08, 2011, 12:42:16 am

Religion: Haunt for jackals; home for owls

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 30, 2011, 06:05:41 am »

You can also roast apricots and plums in the oven--I don't have a recipe handy, but I'm sure they're easily found.  I bet they'd work well grilled as a side dish for burgers or what have you, too, if you've already got the grill fired up.

They're great in savory dishes.  You find them--or their dried equivalents--in a lot of Maghrebi and Levantine cooking, certainly, in honeyed stews with lamb and so on.  Maybe make a delicious Moroccan-style tagine?
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 30, 2011, 06:10:16 am »

They're great in savory dishes.  You find them--or their dried equivalents--in a lot of Maghrebi and Levantine cooking, certainly, in honeyed stews with lamb and so on.  Maybe make a delicious Moroccan-style tagine?

Plums go great with game-duck, goose, venison etc. Apricot goes better with things like lamb and other more delicate meats. Both go brilliantly with couscous, incidentally.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 30, 2011, 04:14:08 pm »

So, anyway.

My mother has a recipe for a fruit duff she's been making since she was about 18 or so... so, it's from about 1960 or so.

1 cup self-rising flour (4.5 oz)
1 stick (=4 oz) butter
2/3 cup milk
1 cup sugar.

Mix all but butter (flour and sugar first!). This is the ONLY POINT at which you will stir anything! This is a very important thing to remember. Otherwise it WILL NOT rise correctly.

Melt butter in pan.

Pour milk/flour/sugar combo into pan.

Add fruit.

Bake 350F until done (25+ min). It'll turn a nice light brownish color on top.

Remove.

(These add-ons are what my boyfriend put in when he emailed me the specifics, since he cooks it and I just enjoy it-- he's got it memorized by now.)

Wonder why it doesn't look like your mother's.

Lament fact only had skimmed milk, non-self-rising flour, wrong shaped fruit, etc.

------------------------------------

My add on to it... Don't do like my mom did one year and put cherries with pits in as the fruit. Hah.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:18:49 pm by NibbleKat » Logged

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
annieroonie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 11:36:10 pm

Religion: Thinking on it.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 30, 2011, 08:49:38 pm »

Easy Ice Cream

Blend about 2 lbs fruit meat with a pint heavy whipping cream, a can of sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and whatever else you want to add. Ice cream toppings work, nuts and other crunchy stuff. Pour and freeze. Add a little regular milk to loosen if it is too thick.

It freezes kind of icy but letting it warm a bit or nuking it for 30 seconds then stirring works well to make a softer treat. And of course that can be used in anything you could use ice cream in.

I got hungry reading the ideas in this thread! Grin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)