The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 12:38:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 12:38:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft  (Read 5131 times)
Chakabe
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 03:43:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Studying Pagan / Druid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 30, 2011, 12:46:32 am »

I bought a copy of this book and so far I am quite pleased with it. My first book however was by Silver RavenWolf. I have to admit she caught my attention in "The ultimate Book of Shadows." I moved onto Buckland because I as be beginner to the craft did not want to learn something that is not exactly true from the get go. Bucklands book is a no BS tutorial on basic witchcraft, covering even to the extent how to make your own tools. I have only made it through to chapter five so far. Reason being because I do not belong to a coven. I would like to at some point but I do not know of any in my area. So I can not do my own initiations or at this point i do not know how.

Anyone has any advice for self initiation feel free to share it. Over all I want to move forward with it but am hesitant to because I dont want to feel like everything stacks up like it does in mathmatics where this leads into that and my brain ends up seeping out of my nose. (So to speak)

Thanks Smiley
-Chakabe

<-- Click the egg please need help hatching-Thank you Cheesy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 30, 2011, 01:35:06 am »

The how-to's weren't bad (though I've yet to find someone who tried stovetop blacksmithing  Shocked )  but I would be wary of his history, especially if you're coming off of Silverwolf (though the Ultimate Book of Shadows isn't as bad as, say, Teen Witch). He can be.... inventive? I suppose would be the right word. I'm not sure if it was written before or after some of the bigger Pagan history "myths" were debunked or not, but it is something to be aware of.

As for self-initiation, wait. (This is my own, non-Wiccan perspective. Your mileage may vary.) My reasoning is that initiation -properly done, whether with a group or not- is a huge step. It is life-changing. And you aren't ready for a step like that if you are on chapter five Wink By all means, do a dedication ritual if you like. Formally state that you are going to try to live by your chosen tenets for a period of time (most people seem to choose a year and a day, but it can be more or less as you need.) Read. Get some experience going. Try a Esbat. Try observing the Sabbats. See if you truly want to initiate, before you end up stuck with something you didn't really want. Maybe a particular branch of the grand conglomerate known as Wicca will attract you. Maybe you'll be drawn to a different pagan path. I was.

Initiation isn't the beginning of a journey. Its a step on the journey. You've got to figure out where you're stepping before you worry about initiating into anything.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 30, 2011, 09:20:06 am »

I bought a copy of this book and so far I am quite pleased with it. My first book however was by Silver RavenWolf. I have to admit she caught my attention in "The ultimate Book of Shadows." I moved onto Buckland because I as be beginner to the craft did not want to learn something that is not exactly true from the get go. Bucklands book is a no BS tutorial on basic witchcraft, covering even to the extent how to make your own tools. I have only made it through to chapter five so far. Reason being because I do not belong to a coven. I would like to at some point but I do not know of any in my area. So I can not do my own initiations or at this point i do not know how.

Anyone has any advice for self initiation feel free to share it. Over all I want to move forward with it but am hesitant to because I dont want to feel like everything stacks up like it does in mathmatics where this leads into that and my brain ends up seeping out of my nose. (So to speak)

Thanks Smiley
-Chakabe

I agree with erinnightwalker that Buckland's account of history is a bit off in that book. The victims of the witch-hunts were not "the Wicca", as Wicca the religion is only about 60 years old, though it is inspired by ancient religious ideas. I also agree that Ravenwolf's Solitary Witch book is not as bad as Teen Witch, and it's generally a decent resource even if it's not the best representation of traditional Wicca.

Except for the questionable history common to many books on neo-pagan Witchcraft, Buckland's book is pretty good. It's a bit general, as he talks a little about everything but doesn't go into anything too deeply, but still his information is solid. I think it's a good book for beginners, since it's definitely not nearly as bad as some of the others out there, and he writes in a way that is simple and straight-forward.

If you're thinking about self-initiation, my suggestion is that you track down a copy of Doreen Valiente's book, Witchcraft For Tomorrow, as she discusses it and gives an example of one that you might want to use. A Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrar also discuss self-initation and give an example ritual. It's a big step, similar to getting married except that you are committing to a religion instead of another person. Be sure you are ready for that kind of commitment and that you have found the right path for yourself.
harzgeist
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:23:57 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan - devoted to Anann and Thor

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 30, 2011, 09:40:35 am »

Thanks Smiley
-Chakabe

I liked Buckland's book, however, I found that some of the steps he deems necessary, like giving oneself a magickal name, aren't as important for me, or rather, I can't seem to find a magickal name quickly and then move on to the next lecture, if that makes any sense. I also found his ideas on creating your tools yourself a tad impractical, but that's just my personal opinion and my lack of working space speaking  Wink

As for initiation, I second what has already been said. You might want to look into Cunningham's Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner; he gives a dedication ritual that I find quite nice. But in the end, I'd suggest you read a few rituals and then compose your own to make it meaningful to you. 

give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night
Chakabe
Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 30, 2011, 04:05:11 pm »

As for initiation, I second what has already been said. You might want to look into Cunningham's Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner; he gives a dedication ritual that I find quite nice. But in the end, I'd suggest you read a few rituals and then compose your own to make it meaningful to you. 

So don't completely discount RavenWolf? I also have a fair understanding that history as it is portrayed in many books is distorted. I'm sure that the original pagans were not called "Wicca" seeing as how there is no real recollection of Wicca in history past as mentioned 60 years ago.

Dumb question although I'm sure you have all heard this at one point or another. "Are there any books other then those suggested as of yet." Also in your oppinion should I keep using the ultimate book of Shadows or should I keep it as a story book. I just do not want to fall into one persons dogma or I guess into the "wrong things". Then again in a religion that prides itself on originality of the individual I suppose the line of right and wrong blur quite a bit.

then again I suppose asking questions on the forum is a good way to settle the questions. I might have.

What turned me off about SRW's Ultimate BOS was getting to the point of Alters. I as not sure that it is totally credible to have a usable alter in your mind. I mean if there is some one or a group of people who do so have one, then please do tell because I would like to get back to it(the book) Since I'm sure there is some good info in that book

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 30, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »

Dumb question although I'm sure you have all heard this at one point or another. "Are there any books other then those suggested as of yet." Also in your oppinion should I keep using the ultimate book of Shadows or should I keep it as a story book. I just do not want to fall into one persons dogma or I guess into the "wrong things". Then again in a religion that prides itself on originality of the individual I suppose the line of right and wrong blur quite a bit.

There are, of course, other books. My starting recommendations for someone interested in religious witchcraft is at http://gleewood.org/seeking/suggested-reading/introductory-books/ and includes some alternate titles and notes on why I particularly like them as a starting place.

What turned me off about SRW's Ultimate BOS was getting to the point of Alters. I as not sure that it is totally credible to have a usable alter in your mind. I mean if there is some one or a group of people who do so have one, then please do tell because I would like to get back to it(the book) Since I'm sure there is some good info in that book

Note: I haven't read the book in ages, so you might want to expand on what she says if you'd like more comments.

It's certainly possible - and astral temples are not an uncommon thing in group work. However, it's a) not particularly useful to people just starting out, and b) there are reasons that using the physical tools are useful, even to people who are substantially experienced and comfortable working without them.

I've been doing this stuff for ten years now, and can certainly do stuff without the physical tools. But there's nothing quite the same as charging a liquid with a particular intention and drinking it, and that takes a cup. Or meditating with a living, changing candle flame, that takes a candle. And in group work, the shared space helps keep everyone together and focused.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Chakabe
Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 30, 2011, 08:41:11 pm »

There are, of course, other books. My starting recommendations for someone interested in religious witchcraft is at http://gleewood.org/seeking/suggested-reading/introductory-books/ and includes some alternate titles and notes on why I particularly like them as a starting place.
^
(sorry I did not use the whole quote to save space)
Thank you for the tips: I will definitely check out your suggested reading list. As for other things of the sort I suppose pagan being a very unique and practitioner oriented so I don't think using SRW's works is to be totally discounted.

I feel as if thought I am repeating myself, not that that is a bad thing.

I understand that astral temples are legitimate, I did not know if that is was what she had meant by it is all. I am also looking into druidry as my focus with Witchcraft / wicca as my backing. Could be a very cool combination and as I imagine it.

Sorry if I left anything out from the last post. Attention is lacking for the moment.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 30, 2011, 10:24:15 pm »

(sorry I did not use the whole quote to save space)

Side Note: That's exactly what you are supposed to do. Smiley

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Chakabe
Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 30, 2011, 11:16:27 pm »

Side Note: That's exactly what you are supposed to do. Smiley
Haha, nice...Good point all as well. Nice to meet you by the way.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.