The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2020, 08:26:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 08:26:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Runes or Tarot?  (Read 3061 times)
Chakabe
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 03:43:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Studying Pagan / Druid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 30, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »

Since I am a beginner I was wondering what is the better way. Granted I know the answer is "What ever you feel right." That is nice...but I'm currently taking all my runes and transcribing (By hand *Shakes off the pain for a moment*) them into my BOS as we speak *I'm in a 5 minute union defined break lol* I'm 11 for 24 so far and why I am bringing this up now is because I wanted some opinions.

I have both a Tarot Deck and a set of runes. I had the Runes longer. I just figured I would be closer to the "Druid" ideals by using runes for the moment.

In all likelihood I am going to learn both + pendulum dowsing along down the lines.

Thanks Smiley

<-- Click the egg please need help hatching-Thank you Cheesy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 30, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »

Since I am a beginner I was wondering what is the better way. Granted I know the answer is "What ever you feel right." That is nice...but I'm currently taking all my runes and transcribing (By hand *Shakes off the pain for a moment*) them into my BOS as we speak *I'm in a 5 minute union defined break lol* I'm 11 for 24 so far and why I am bringing this up now is because I wanted some opinions.

I have both a Tarot Deck and a set of runes. I had the Runes longer. I just figured I would be closer to the "Druid" ideals by using runes for the moment.

In all likelihood I am going to learn both + pendulum dowsing along down the lines.

Thanks Smiley

Are you asking which is more prefferred? Or?

I have a tarot deck (Druidcraft, I love the art) but am planning to get oak with wood-burned ogam. Mostly because oak pieces are more feasible for drawing during ADF rites, ime anyway Smiley

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Chakabe
Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 30, 2011, 11:52:39 pm »

Are you asking which is more prefferred? Or?

I suppose that I'm asking what is more prefered. Again I know common answers will be "What ever you feel is right." Well for the moment I learned that I am short one rune from my set of 25 but are there not supposed to be 24? Oh well I will figure it out...prolly just fell off the bed. lol
If not I learn Tarot first and tackle the harder one. then again runes have their own language...

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 30, 2011, 11:55:15 pm »

I suppose that I'm asking what is more prefered. Again I know common answers will be "What ever you feel is right." Well for the moment I learned that I am short one rune from my set of 25 but are there not supposed to be 24? Oh well I will figure it out...prolly just fell off the bed. lol
If not I learn Tarot first and tackle the harder one. then again runes have their own language...

Well in my case, as I noted, there are practical reasons in play as well as 'what feels right' but you may also want to think of which runes you're using. AFAIK there are the Elder Futhark, Anglo-Saxon and Futharc (sp?) as well as Ogam which isn't really a rune set but sort of fills a similar niche.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Chakabe
Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 01, 2011, 12:08:35 am »

Well in my case, as I noted, there are practical reasons in play as well as 'what feels right' but you may also want to think of which runes you're using. AFAIK there are the Elder Futhark, Anglo-Saxon and Futharc (sp?) as well as Ogam which isn't really a rune set but sort of fills a similar niche.

I belive I am using either Elder or Anglo. Not quite so sure.

Chakabe
Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 01, 2011, 12:22:38 am »

I belive I am using either Elder or Anglo. Not quite so sure.

The good news I found the one I was missing. It did not fall off the bed it was "Hiding" under one of my blankets. Either way I have all "24" but there are 25 with the Blank rune. Works for me...

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: July 01, 2011, 02:36:18 am »

I suppose that I'm asking what is more prefered.

More preferred by whom?

I don't mean that to be a flip question.  Neither runes nor tarot are Celtic in origin, but, since you posted this question in the Neo-Druidry SIG, I'm guessing you're looking for a divination system that would be closest to what ancient druids used or a system used by modern neo-druid organizations.  Is that correct?  Or are you asking something else?

If you're asking about what the ancient druids used, the answer would be: "We don't know for sure."  There is some evidence from contemporary Greek and Roman writers that acting as oracles, predicting the future, and interpreting omens were important functions of the druids, and that they used techniques such as reading animal entrails and studying the movements of birds.  In addition, there is mention of druids "casting staves" and of consulting letters, possibly ogam, on wands of yew.  However, there is no solid evidence for or against the use of ogam as a divination system, although the earliest extant examples of ogam (as boundary markers or similar) date only to about the 3rd century AD.

(If you're interested in learning more about ogam as a divination system, Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom, by Erynn Rowan Laurie, is the best resource, IMO.  Her website also includes a page on divination resources.)

That said, if you're interested in tarot and/or runes, there's no reason you can't learn and use one or both of those.  But you already knew that.   Wink

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Chakabe
Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 01, 2011, 12:22:54 pm »

More preferred by whom?

I don't mean that to be a flip question.  Neither runes nor tarot are Celtic in origin, but, since you posted this question in the Neo-Druidry SIG, I'm guessing you're looking for a divination system that would be closest to what ancient druids used or a system used by modern neo-druid organizations.  Is that correct?  Or are you asking something else?
~ Aster

Well the path I am taking at the moment is more or less a cross of druidry and witchcraft. I do not know if it has a name or if I just have yet to stumble upon it (druidcraft maybe?). I'm learning Witchcraft first so I have a strong backing in magical dealings but I will be moving into Druidry as my i guess Main after I have reached a proficient level in witchcraft to be able to move on. Keeping things more systematic like that kinda gives it a level of higher learning to me at least.

I have heard about staves before I feel like a bit of an idiot for not thinking about that. But for the moment I have my runes and tarot cards to work with. I'm sure by the time all is said and done I will end up with knowing a few different divination systems.

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 01, 2011, 01:08:04 pm »

The good news I found the one I was missing. It did not fall off the bed it was "Hiding" under one of my blankets. Either way I have all "24" but there are 25 with the Blank rune. Works for me...

The blank rune is not really a rune.  If you are serious about your runes ya might want to toss that one. Wink

Chakabe
Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 01, 2011, 01:10:14 pm »

The blank rune is not really a rune.  If you are serious about your runes ya might want to toss that one. Wink

Hmm, really...well I'll keep it around and use it to etch a new one if I happen to lose one as I almost did last night.
It is a meaningless rune so I see no real harm in it being tossed.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.