The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 27, 2020, 08:43:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 08:43:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Starting over and re-finding my path  (Read 18165 times)
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am
United States United States

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 04, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »

I've thought about walking away from religion permanently as well but that doesn't work, because I have a continued interest in Paganism. And I want to follow something. I don't feel connected to the Egyptian pantheon at all, and I feel awkward at best praying to Zeus. Odin and his bunch don't seem to care either way.

Hi outlaw393,
Like many people here, I'm seeing a recurring theme in your posts. It's clear to me that you are really struggling with all of this, and I do sympathize. But, like many other people, I have to ask you exactly what you expect from the various deities that you've tried to contact. If I understood your expectations, I might be able to give you some useful advice.

You've said that you believe Odin and his bunch aren't interested in you. I don't know Odin at all, so I can't speak from direct experience, but it seems to me, saying that you don't believe in Him at all, but then turning around and saying that you do the next day (or week), then changing your mind repeatedly isn't really very conducive to building a relationship with Him.

I look at it a lot like any other relationship. Lets say, I meet someone I'd like to hang out with or get to know a little better. This person calls me one day, but I'm out. This person leaves a message, but I've been so busy (for whatever reason) that I haven't had a chance to call them back for a few days. Then, this person decides that because they didn't hear from me right away, I wasn't worth the time and energy to get to know. A few months go by and this person calls me up again and wants to hang out. I can't right then because I'm working or whatever. This person gets pissed and writes me off again. After this happens a few times, I would be really frustrated with this person and I'd probably tell them to stop calling me because I shouldn't be expected to be at the beck and call of someone I barely know.

However, my altar has Zeus and Artemis on it, so I'll probably go that way again and be Hellenic.

Why? Just because you have images of Greek gods available to you, doesn't necessarily mean you should be Hellenic. It's like me saying that I'm going to be BFFs with my next door neighbor just because she's there. We have absolutely nothing in common with each other beyond the fact that we rent from the same landlady. No shared interests or life experiences that I'm aware of, nothing. We are friendly, we say hello and sometimes chat about the gardens or whatever, but we aren't friends and we never will be. However, even if we had felt any kind of connection when we met, it would have still taken time to build a strong, mutually beneficial relationship. It probably wouldn't have happened in the space of a few weeks, or even months. It's not that it couldn't happen that fast, but strong, intimate, connections usually take more time.

Even if we did become best friends, that could always change as we grow and develop new interests. Changing priorities, goals and needs can affect relationships as well.

I guess what I'm trying say is, if you do in fact want to have a meaningful relationship with a God/dess, pantheon or what have you, it takes time, understanding and commitment on your part. If you really don't know what direction you want to go in, then take your time figuring it out. Like many other people have said, this sort of thing can take years.

Personally, I think you're putting way to much pressure on yourself to believe in something and to fit into one religion or another. You've ended up bouncing all over the place without giving yourself an opportunity to explore anything in depth. You're getting frustrated by the lack of connection, when you haven't given any one thing enough time to actually make a real connection.

Now, you might think I'm being critical or unfriendly. If so, then all I can say is, like everyone else who's responded to these posts over the last week or so, I really am trying to help and I really do hope that you get it all sorted out.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)