The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 02, 2020, 02:21:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 02:21:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Starting over and re-finding my path  (Read 23371 times)
outlaw393
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:31:17 am
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #45: July 04, 2011, 09:44:40 pm »

Because... they're female?

Why would their gender affect me, since I'm female.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

outlaw393
Journeyman

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #46: July 04, 2011, 09:47:25 pm »

To evoke a god is to invite them into a space - in (neo?)Wiccan conception, a cast circle. (Versus invocation, which draws a god into a person - Drawing down the Moon, possession, etc.) To keep going with the phone metaphor, it's actually referred to as "calling" the deity. There are lots of examples online for Wiccan God/Goddess calls, including in Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner; read a few and you can come up with your own.

It's not hard, really! List off some qualities of the god you want to call, use some of their epithets/other names, invite them into the circle, and make it pretty. The most important part is the pull, the desire to bring the god into the place. Just like any other magic. How much you notice the god showing up will depend on how you sense energy; myself, I learned to sense gods leaving well before I learned to feel them enter or a circle go up.

For a solo guided meditation, you can a) memorise the steps you take and then run the journey/meditation off of memory, b) record them yourself onto an mp3 or cassette, or c) look on youtube for a suitable journey to follow with. A standard "journey to meet a god" meditation would probably suit, as long as it speaks to you.

This sounds interesting. I may have to try it.

Are you sure it's (a) Lamia? There are other legends about half-snake creatures, including Melusine (a spirit of fresh water, who in legends married a human man). As awesome as TC is, it doesn't hold all knowledge in its servers, so you might want to spend more time looking for human-snake hybrids before making a tentative ID.

And even if she is Lamia, don't put too much emphasis on Wiki/internet sources - The Morrigan has an image as a terrible, awe-ful goddess covered in blood and death, and Kali wears a necklace of skulls. Both are excellent protectors for their followers, with other lessons than just "Rrrragh bloodlust." If you want to move forward with anyone, Odin or the new appearance alike, you can't make assumptions about a deity/being based on a single dream and godchecker (etc).

I'm not absolutely sure. I can't be 100% sure because the dream was brief and I don't have a complete picture of what she looked like. She didn't look real scary. Just strange, with the snake lower half. I took the "evil snake hybrid who kills children" thing with a grain of salt.

Technically she's not a goddess, either. She's a human who had an affair with Zeus and then was cursed by Hera.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #47: July 04, 2011, 09:47:56 pm »

That's what I was confused about - it sounded like you were saying you didn't work with goddesses because they were goddesses. The internet can inhibit communication sometimes. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #48: July 04, 2011, 09:52:04 pm »

That doesn't necessarily matter, there are plenty of females that are anti-female/women and could be anti-goddess for whatever reason.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
outlaw393
Journeyman

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #49: July 04, 2011, 09:52:44 pm »

That's what I was confused about - it sounded like you were saying you didn't work with goddesses because they were goddesses. The internet can inhibit communication sometimes. Smiley

Well, honestly I've never had a relationship with female divinity. And I'm not real sure I even believe in them. When I first became Pagan some years ago, I was quite aware of the goddess. In a matter of fact for a while, she was the only thing I worshiped.

I guess my bias is due to a long indoctrination in christianity.  Undecided
catherine
Master Member
Last Login:November 08, 2013, 10:51:52 am

Religion: temporarily unavailable, renovations in progress

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: July 04, 2011, 10:21:50 pm »

I had that kind of interaction with a god before - namely when I was christian.

Well, if the Christian God fulfilled that need for you in the past, why not be a Christian now? I know it might not be as cool and progressive sounding as Pagan, but if it works for you, where's the problem? I mean, you can be a Christian without owning all of the baggage that comes with the identification. You can worship Christ, and develop a meaningful relationship with Him without hating anyone, or feeling like you must dictate other people's morality. Many, many people do just that. Spirituality and dogma are very different things. You can be or worship whatever or whoever you choose. You don't have to get caught up in the politics of it all. You know?

Maybe I'm not making any sense at all because I don't have your specific experiences, I don't know. But it seems to me that if something worked for you in the past, and you measure every other experience by that something, then that something is really what you want and need. So go with that! What's the problem?
Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: July 04, 2011, 11:01:40 pm »

Well, if the Christian God fulfilled that need for you in the past, why not be a Christian now? I know it might not be as cool and progressive sounding as Pagan, but if it works for you, where's the problem? I mean, you can be a Christian without owning all of the baggage that comes with the identification. You can worship Christ, and develop a meaningful relationship with Him without hating anyone, or feeling like you must dictate other people's morality. Many, many people do just that. Spirituality and dogma are very different things. You can be or worship whatever or whoever you choose. You don't have to get caught up in the politics of it all. You know?

Maybe I'm not making any sense at all because I don't have your specific experiences, I don't know. But it seems to me that if something worked for you in the past, and you measure every jother experience by that something, then that something is really what you want and need. So go with that! What's the problem?

Here's what I get from reading your blog, outlaw. You had a good relationship with the church and God. Then you lost your job and were devestated and prayers didn't work so you said screw it  you'll find a god who cares. Except none of the God's you're finding want to be your servant, they aren't interested in making your dreams come true and your life easy. So you decide that isn't the god for you.  But deep down you're still connected to Christianity because you left out of anger, you left to punish god but all you've done is punished your spiritual self.

You like Odin because he reminds you of god, you don't like goddesses because they don't. You were "contacted" by one, though,  because finding a replacement God isn't working. None of our advice helps or feels possible because you know deep down the problem is you and your lack of faith and trust in a god the minute things got rough. So work on that and figure yourself out.

*phew* armchair psychology session over.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:04:36 pm by Juniperberry » Logged
outlaw393
Journeyman

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #52: July 04, 2011, 11:44:04 pm »

Maybe I'm not making any sense at all because I don't have your specific experiences, I don't know. But it seems to me that if something worked for you in the past, and you measure every other experience by that something, then that something is really what you want and need. So go with that! What's the problem?

I don't believe in Christ or the christian god. Or the bible. Or most of their other beliefs.
outlaw393
Journeyman

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #53: July 04, 2011, 11:48:11 pm »

Here's what I get from reading your blog, outlaw. You had a good relationship with the church and God. Then you lost your job and were devestated and prayers didn't work so you said screw it  you'll find a god who cares. Except none of the God's you're finding want to be your servant, they aren't interested in making your dreams come true and your life easy. So you decide that isn't the god for you.  But deep down you're still connected to Christianity because you left out of anger, you left to punish god but all you've done is punished your spiritual self.

You like Odin because he reminds you of god, you don't like goddesses because they don't. You were "contacted" by one, though,  because finding a replacement God isn't working. None of our advice helps or feels possible because you know deep down the problem is you and your lack of faith and trust in a god the minute things got rough. So work on that and figure yourself out.

*phew* armchair psychology session over.

Some of that is true. However those blogs were written 6 months ago. I ended up eventually returning to Christianity after a month or so. And then in May I found I didn't fit in and lost my faith for good. So far I can say it's been a freeing experience.

I like Odin because he contacted me 3 years ago and was the reason I started studying Heathenism. The "goddess" that contacted me isn't really a goddess. And yes, it's hard for me to believe in and deal with goddesses.

The only reason I might be "connected" to Christianity now is because I was raised in the religion. But I chose to leave THAT in the dust forever. Though I will admit once in a blue moon I do miss the church I used to attend. But that doesn't matter.

Overall grade: 75% accuracy. C-  Grin
Juniperberry
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: July 04, 2011, 11:55:01 pm »

Some of that is true. However those blogs were written 6 months ago. I ended up eventually returning to Christianity after a month or so. And then in May I found I didn't fit in and lost my faith for good. So far I can say it's been a freeing experience.

I like Odin because he contacted me 3 years ago and was the reason I started studying Heathenism. The "goddess" that contacted me isn't really a goddess. And yes, it's hard for me to believe in and deal with goddesses.

The only reason I might be "connected" to Christianity now is because I was raised in the religion. But I chose to leave THAT in the dust forever. Though I will admit once in a blue moon I do miss the church I used to attend. But that doesn't matter.

Overall grade: 75% accuracy. C-  Grin

In 2010 you were posting the exact same things on Interfaith forums and eventually the people there called you out for your flavor of the month posts ( you had settled on Judaism for a month there). This isn't recent for you, you re-post the exact same problem continuously. Problem? 100% you. The specifics don't matter.
Knowing your history better than you think? A+

I suggest we ALL find a better use of our time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:00:00 am by Juniperberry » Logged
outlaw393
Journeyman

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #55: July 05, 2011, 12:00:24 am »

In 2010 you were posting the exact same things on Interfaith forums and eventually the people there called you out for your flavor of the month posts ( you had settled on Judaism for a month there). This isn't recent for you, you re-post the exact same problem continuously. Problem? 100% you. The specifics don't matter.

I suggest we ALL find a better use of our time.

You must be that person I can't stand from Interfaith forums too. "ChicagoHeathen". I'm sure there's more people there worthy of your continual unwelcome sarcasm and disrespect there.

I left those forums. I got fed up of being constantly chastised. These forums are supposed to be friendly too. So far, so good. Well except in your case.

Honestly, there are hundreds of other threads here to read. So why not go respond to those? Everyone else has been helpful.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:03:48 am by outlaw393 » Logged
outlaw393
Journeyman

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #56: July 05, 2011, 12:06:40 am »

You must be that person I can't stand from Interfaith forums too. "ChicagoHeathen". I'm sure there's more people there worthy of your continual unwelcome sarcasm and disrespect there.

I left those forums. I got fed up of being constantly chastised. These forums are supposed to be friendly too. So far, so good. Well except in your case.

Honestly, there are hundreds of other threads here to read. So why not go respond to those? Everyone else has been helpful.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with studying different religions.
Knowing your tactics AND your underhanded stunts - A+.
Juniperberry
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: July 05, 2011, 12:08:24 am »

Heh. You mean CH who told you that it seemed as if you were more interested in attention than finding an actual religion? Nope not me, but I thought HIS post was honest and spot on.
outlaw393
Journeyman

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #58: July 05, 2011, 12:15:54 am »

Heh. You mean CH who told you that it seemed as if you were more interested in attention than finding an actual religion? Nope not me, but I thought HIS post was honest and spot on.

Well you must be a friend of his or something because you're just like him.  Wink And yeah, I've been trying to find a religion a long time. You're not much help. Other people have been. Though the general message I've gotten is to stick with what I'm currently studying.

To the rest of the forum and polite people who responded: Thank you for your replies. I will think about trying much of what you told me.
Juniperberry
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: July 05, 2011, 12:19:38 am »

Well you must be a friend of his or something because you're just like him.  Wink And yeah, I've been trying to find a religion a long time. You're not much help. Other people have been. Though the general message I've gotten is to stick with what I'm currently studying.

To the rest of the forum and polite people who responded: Thank you for your replies. I will think about trying much of what you told me.

What are you currently studying lol???

Im less concerned with you and more concerned with the members wasting energy on someone who isn't being honest with what their needs are.

For anyone interested here are the "rude" comments that outlaw has received

http://www.interfaithforums.com/asatru/12764-contacted-loki.html

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)