The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 04:46:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 04:46:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Weird Spells  (Read 18608 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Topic Start: June 27, 2007, 08:20:01 am »

I am a collector of intellectual strangeness, and one sub-directory of my collection is Weird Spells.  I've got things ranging from crucifying a frog to make it give you occult information to putting a fish in an intimate place to attract a lover (and then feeding it to that lover).  There are weirder ones out there, and ickier ones, mostly from the middle ages I think.  I have one that involves using the eyeballs of a cat (or the gel thereof) to make your scrying mirror true.

So, any other collectors out there?  What are your weirdest, wildest, and ickiest spells?  And have you actually tried any of them?

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 27, 2007, 09:14:11 am »

I am a collector of intellectual strangeness, and one sub-directory of my collection is Weird Spells.  I've got things ranging from crucifying a frog to make it give you occult information to putting a fish in an intimate place to attract a lover (and then feeding it to that lover).  There are weirder ones out there, and ickier ones, mostly from the middle ages I think.  I have one that involves using the eyeballs of a cat (or the gel thereof) to make your scrying mirror true.

So, any other collectors out there?  What are your weirdest, wildest, and ickiest spells?  And have you actually tried any of them?

Absent

LOL Call me strange, but that is interesting, in an odd sense of the word.  Grin  Where did you find this information?  I love reading odd, little known information.  Unfortunately I don't have anything to share with you.   Undecided  Sorry.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: June 27, 2007, 09:19:16 am »

LOL Call me strange, but that is interesting, in an odd sense of the word.  Grin  Where did you find this information?  I love reading odd, little known information.  Unfortunately I don't have anything to share with you.   Undecided  Sorry.

The frog one is from Crowley, but I can't remember which Liber.  It had to do with making a familiar.

The fish one is from Catja.  Or possibly Fausta, in relation to lust spells.  It came up on the old board.

I can't remember where the eyeballs one is from.  I have the method written out, but not the provenance.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 28, 2007, 06:43:50 pm »

The frog one is from Crowley, but I can't remember which Liber.  It had to do with making a familiar.

"The Cross of a Frog" is Liber LXX.  I remember coming across the idea somewhere (don't remember where, though) that it's a joke.  On reading it again, it definitely seems like (biting) satire.  (Lon Milo DuQuette mentions that it was a "passion play" performed before eating frog legs while camping.)

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: June 28, 2007, 07:19:02 pm »

"The Cross of a Frog" is Liber LXX.  I remember coming across the idea somewhere (don't remember where, though) that it's a joke.  On reading it again, it definitely seems like (biting) satire.  (Lon Milo DuQuette mentions that it was a "passion play" performed before eating frog legs while camping.)

I think there might be that kind of explanation for a few of these.  Seeing how far you can push the credulous, shocking the shockable, that kind of thing.  I've even invented a few like that when people have pushed me too far (I am 'out' in my community and get some extremely odd and insistent people contacting me.)

Some of the strange ones do have traceable reasoning of sorts behind them, though.  (magical or mundane)   I'm thinking mainly of the lust spells I've heard that can be considered to come back around to pheromones when the oddities are examined, or various 'powers' spells that make use of bits of animals/people/beings perceived to have those powers themselves.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 28, 2007, 07:24:33 pm »

Some of the strange ones do have traceable reasoning of sorts behind them, though.  (magical or mundane)   I'm thinking mainly of the lust spells I've heard that can be considered to come back around to pheromones when the oddities are examined, or various 'powers' spells that make use of bits of animals/people/beings perceived to have those powers themselves.

Absent

Yup.  That fish spell is really just an elaboration of the basic women's folk magic lust spell, which is to work a bit of menstrual blood or vaginal fluid into your beloved's food, which boils down to pheromones.   
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2019, 02:44:12 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 28, 2007, 09:43:55 pm »

I think there might be that kind of explanation for a few of these.  Seeing how far you can push the credulous, shocking the shockable, that kind of thing.  I've even invented a few like that when people have pushed me too far.
<chortle> Me too.  I try to restrain myself, knowing it can have far-reaching consequences, but, darn it, some people's minds just have "toy!" written all over them.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 28, 2007, 09:50:06 pm »

<chortle> Me too.  I try to restrain myself, knowing it can have far-reaching consequences, but, darn it, some people's minds just have "toy!" written all over them.

Sunflower

they do, they do! Mostly I try to practise restrain, but sometimes... you just have to give in! Wink

Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 03, 2007, 09:47:37 pm »

Absent

This is more humorous than anything but i do recall some weird *spell* type thing in a children's book I had when i was little. I don't remember what the *incantation* was but i do recall it required you to stand on a coffee table with a broom between your legs. If you said the incantation and jumped, you'd fly. I tried this on many occassions when i was younger. I guess there was always a little bit of witch in me even then,lol.

I also think that this was based on some factual information, as I have a spell somewhere to enable a witch to fly. Of course, it's true purpose is to aid in astral travel but most non-witches aren't aware that flying doesn't mean in the literal physical body sense.

Thought i'd share that. Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Asharti
Apprentice
Last Login:February 13, 2009, 12:29:11 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan

I am bound to the arrow maker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 05, 2007, 11:30:49 pm »

If you said the incantation and jumped, you'd fly. I tried this on many occassions when i was younger. I guess there was always a little bit of witch in me even then,lol.

My partner and i were talking about the whole Witch on a broom stick sterotype and he said to me that they use to put 'herbs' on the stick then 'ride' it (mind you with no underwear on!!) and the female tissues would absorb the chemicals hence making them see things....has anybody heard this theroy?

Blessed be!
Love & Light!
Asharti
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: July 06, 2007, 12:19:20 am »

My partner and i were talking about the whole Witch on a broom stick sterotype and he said to me that they use to put 'herbs' on the stick then 'ride' it (mind you with no underwear on!!) and the female tissues would absorb the chemicals hence making them see things....has anybody heard this theroy?

Blessed be!
Love & Light!
Asharti

I think he's talking about 'flying ointment'.  Applying it to the broomstick wasn't the only way to absorb it, but the salacious aspect makes it a common tale.

You can find recipes in books and on the net, usually involving various psycho-active herbs steeped in carriers like 'the fat of an unbaptized baby'.  Some of the recipes, even without the baby fat, are downright dangerous if anyone actually made them into an ointment.  Hallucinations are only one of the effects.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Asharti
Apprentice
Last Login:February 13, 2009, 12:29:11 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan

I am bound to the arrow maker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 06, 2007, 12:48:19 am »

You can find recipes in books and on the net, usually involving various psycho-active herbs steeped in carriers like 'the fat of an unbaptized baby'.  Some of the recipes, even without the baby fat, are downright dangerous if anyone actually made them into an ointment.  Hallucinations are only one of the effects.

Do you know of any websites? PM them to me if you want

Blessed Be!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #12: July 06, 2007, 03:34:41 am »

Blessed Be!

None that I can think of offhand.  It's just one of those things that you run across sometimes when doing research.

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 06, 2007, 04:14:05 am »

Absent

Um, I read one that involved either boiling a cat then eating it.. or putting it in the microwave.

Needless to say, when I read it out to my friends, the cat beside me instantly took off.

I found it funny. XD

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: July 06, 2007, 08:56:15 am »

Googling "flying ointment recipe" listed a few sites in the top ten with one or more of the historically known recipes.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)