The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 27, 2020, 01:34:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 01:34:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox Local Bookmark Replacement?  (Read 5217 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 27, 2007, 09:39:33 pm »

I'm at my wits end with Firefox's manage bookmarks piece. It's to the point that I either find a replacement for this "feature" or I start using another browser.

What I'm looking for has to be local (I don't want an online option at all) and I don't want an application that wants to create it's own database of bookmarks so I have to use a new application in order to bookmark a page.

Anyone got any hints?

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 27, 2007, 11:52:44 pm »

Anyone got any hints?

What are you looking for it to do?  I've used Open Book for so long that I forgot what the default behavior is...  Smiley

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 26, 2020, 06:18:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 28, 2007, 08:27:47 am »

What are you looking for it to do?

What she is looking for is a program or Firefox extension that will greatly improve or replace Firefox's very poor "Organize Bookmarks."

What she is NOT looking for is a program that replaces Firefox's stored bookmarks with bookmarks stored on some server online or in the program's own database.  She wants to use Firefox's bookmarks as normal to visit sites, she just wants a better "organize" feature without having to wait for the supposed great improvements in this in version 3.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 28, 2007, 08:45:34 am »

What are you looking for it to do?  I've used Open Book for so long that I forgot what the default behavior is...  Smiley

What Randall said. Smiley

Essentially, I've had it with Firefox's organize bookmarks feature. It doesn't work well and it's something that I really need to be a whole lot more intuitive than it is. My main issue is add folders and moving URLs into them, so that's what I'm concentrating on finding.

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 28, 2007, 07:12:10 pm »

What I'm looking for has to be local (I don't want an online option at all) and I don't want an application that wants to create it's own database of bookmarks so I have to use a new application in order to bookmark a page.

Anyone got any hints?

I've just been using the Firefox defaults so I don't really have anything specific to offer but...

Lets see.... hmmmm, there are 198 Firefox addons for Bookmarks.  Here's a few that look like they may help in some form or another.

HyperBK Looks like this is along the lines of what you're looking for.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2539
The aim behind HyperBK is to be able to provide better bookmark functionality from within the browser itself. Features implemented are: automatic classification of the bookmarks into their correct bookmark folder, page thumbnail for better realization of the bookmark's contents, more complex search features, permanent caching of bookmarked pages and possibly detection of changed/offline bookmarks.  More...

2 Pane Bookmarks
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1928
This provides separated "Bookmarks" Sidebar panel like Opera. This splits the Bookmarks Sidebar panel with 2 panes. When you choose a folder from the above tree, the contents will be shown in the below pane.

Sort Bookmarks
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/51
This extension sorts your bookmarks alphabetically.

Enhanced Bookmark Search
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/494
- Search by Title, Location, description or keyword including more subsets
(contains, starts/ends with, is/is not, doesn't contain)
- Adds a Menu Option Under the Main Browser Bookmarks Menu called Search Bookmarks..
More to See...

POTO Sidebar Extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/836
An Opera-like sidebar that opens when you click on(or touch) the left edge of Firefox's window. Easily access your bookmarks, history and downloads without having to click on tiny buttons or use the keyboard.

The rest are either to specific/unrelated to be of use in this case or are online/social bookmark services.

Hope this helps out.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 28, 2007, 07:43:35 pm »

I've just been using the Firefox defaults so I don't really have anything specific to offer but...

Lets see.... hmmmm, there are 198 Firefox addons for Bookmarks.  Here's a few that look like they may help in some form or another.

That first one looks worth at least trying. My main problem is the focus seems to be on searching bookmarks, and that's not what I'm needing. I'm needing something that allows creation of new folders and moving bookmarks around easier. Firefox isn't doing what I need there. Sad

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 28, 2007, 11:46:38 pm »

That first one looks worth at least trying. My main problem is the focus seems to be on searching bookmarks, and that's not what I'm needing. I'm needing something that allows creation of new folders and moving bookmarks around easier. Firefox isn't doing what I need there. Sad
Very odd; plain ol' vanilla Mozilla (that is, Navigator without the Netscape name attached) does that just fine - just like, or maybe a smidgen better than, what I was used to on Netscape on not-hubby's Windowbox.  I've stuck to it on this Linux box, even though it's got Firefox installed as well, because Firefox looks too much like IE - I've been told, "Oh, you can customize it to look however you want!" so I supposed I was just being a stick-in-the-mud, and that my suspicions about "looks too much like IE might = bookmarks like IE" were mere superstition.

So now I'm curious; is it that you want more from it than I do (me and my 2000+ bookmarks and my sub-sub-sub-sub-sub folders, so you can see why I wonder), or was being a stick-in-the-mud a good choice for me?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 29, 2007, 09:33:58 am »

So now I'm curious; is it that you want more from it than I do (me and my 2000+ bookmarks and my sub-sub-sub-sub-sub folders, so you can see why I wonder), or was being a stick-in-the-mud a good choice for me?

Sunflower

No. I don't think I'm wanting more than you. What I'm wanting is Firefox to handle the creation of bookmark folders differently. So many options seem to deal with bookmark searches or saving an URL to a folder. My problems are't that. My problem is simply the way Firefox creates new folders when you want to start a new collection under a new folder. I can get it to work, but it's a multiple step process that takes more effort than it should, IMO.

Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 29, 2007, 11:35:17 am »

I'm needing something that allows creation of new folders and moving bookmarks around easier. Firefox isn't doing what I need there. Sad

Ok, if I'm reading between the lines correctly here, the problem you have is actually creating new folders in the bookmark manager, moving them into the proper folder for organization and then dropping existing bookmarks into them.

I can see how that would be an issue.  The bookmark manager never seems to create a new folder in the folder you highlight on the left panel.  It always drops it at the bottom of ALL the folders you have or right above the one you have highlighted.  From there you have to drag the new folder into the one you want it to be in.  If you have a long list of folders that can be irritating.  The fact that you can't simply right click > create new folder in the right hand panel is annoying.  The inability to drag n drop folders in the right hand panel is likewise annoying.

My best success has been creating new folders/sub-folders when adding new bookmarks.  At least that function seems to work more simply.

So, have I identified the issue properly or am off base here?

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: June 29, 2007, 11:52:25 am »

Ok, if I'm reading between the lines correctly here, the problem you have is actually creating new folders in the bookmark manager, moving them into the proper folder for organization and then dropping existing bookmarks into them.

Actually the entire problem is in creating the folders and subfolders. Once those are done, the movement of URLs isn't an issue.

I can see how that would be an issue.  The bookmark manager never seems to create a new folder in the folder you highlight on the left panel.  It always drops it at the bottom of ALL the folders you have or right above the one you have highlighted.  From there you have to drag the new folder into the one you want it to be in.  If you have a long list of folders that can be irritating.  The fact that you can't simply right click > create new folder in the right hand panel is annoying.  The inability to drag n drop folders in the right hand panel is likewise annoying.

That pretty well sums it up.

My best success has been creating new folders/sub-folders when adding new bookmarks.  At least that function seems to work more simply.

Except you don't always know you're going to need a new folder. That's where my issue is. I was going to go in a couple of days ago and reorganize, and that meant creating new folders then. Not as I was bookmarking a page. Sad

So, have I identified the issue properly or am off base here?

You've pretty much got it. And it's enough of an issue that I'm seriously considering going back to IE until the new version of Opera comes out.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 29, 2007, 06:29:11 pm »

Actually the entire problem is in creating the folders and subfolders. Once those are done, the movement of URLs isn't an issue.
<snip>
I was going to go in a couple of days ago and reorganize, and that meant creating new folders then. Not as I was bookmarking a page. Sad
<snip>
And it's enough of an issue that I'm seriously considering going back to IE until the new version of Opera comes out.
Shocked
When I moved, I reconstructed the entirety of my bookmark classification system on this 'puter.  Some two and a half dozen folders at top level alone; many have subfolders, in some cases going down, as I indicated, five levels.  I built it, and then I started transferring bookmarks into it (from the email I sent to myself at my Gmail account - roomy, and in no way affected by the move).  (Guilty admission:  a year later, and I still haven't added all my old bookmarks - it's easy enough, but a bit tedious.)

So, yep, it's very evident that I made the right call for my needs.  Why the folks at Mozilla would have it so functional for Navigator, yet still not have any of that functionality happening with Firefox, seems odd; I can only suppose that it involves wholly different coding that has to be written from the ground up.

Any possibility of you being able to use Navigator, instead of IE, for the interim?  I'm not all that IE-familiar (most of my use of it was so I could vote, for Rock Star: INXS - I could get the site fine, but not the voting, with NN; otherwise, I despise the look* so much I've never looked into what else I might like/despise), but I recall The Cat's Ex-Aunt happening to notice me doing something with my bookmarks one day, and she damn near had a geekgasm over Nav's scope and flexibility compared to IE - she'd had no idea, even though she's usually a more program-savvy geek than I and knows such things.  So I know there's a marked difference.

Sunflower

*Bright pretty shapes in primary colors, exactly like what's used in educational toys as a symbol-set for preschoolers who can't yet read.  Attractive in the nursery; patronizing on my computer screen.  Perhaps I'm paranoid, but to me it's another sign of The Cult of the Anti-Geek not wanting end-users to be computer-literate.

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: June 29, 2007, 07:36:05 pm »

Any possibility of you being able to use Navigator, instead of IE, for the interim?  I'm not all that IE-familiar

I could, but I used IE for years, so if I end up having to do an interim hop because Firefox drives me too batshit, it won't be a problem. Plus, Randall and I both are rabid about security (me more so than him in some ways), so I'm really not too worried about random strangeness infecting this PC. I also have the attitude that if something happens and I can't fix it, I'll just reformat it. Helps tremendously. *g*

Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 29, 2007, 09:23:04 pm »

Except you don't always know you're going to need a new folder. That's where my issue is. I was going to go in a couple of days ago and reorganize, and that meant creating new folders then. Not as I was bookmarking a page. Sad

Ok, I've just performed a test here of the Bookmark manager in Firefox v. 2.0.0.4.  I haven't really messed around with it since I rebuilt the computer and upgraded Firefox... 

If you are in the right hand panel and open a folder you can right click a bookmark and select New Folder.  It'll create a new folder right above the bookmark you right clicked still inside the folder the bookmark is in.  It's completely counter-intuitive (I mean, really, right-click a link to make a sub-folder?) but it does work.

I played with this function a little and it's consistent.  A new folder will always be created above the link (or, incidentally, folder) you right-click no matter where in the list of links (or folders) you do so.  Top, middle, bottom of list, it doesn't matter.  Me, I like all my sub-folders at the top of the list for easy navigation of cascading menus

I've attached a couple of screen shots...

I don't know if this is enough to help you, Lyric, but it's a step closer to functional than I thought we were.

[attachment purged 11 Oct 2008-- older than one year]

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 26, 2020, 06:18:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 29, 2007, 10:35:32 pm »

Ok, I've just performed a test here of the Bookmark manager in Firefox v. 2.0.0.4.  I haven't really messed around with it since I rebuilt the computer and upgraded Firefox... 

I mentioned this post to Lyric and she says she will take a look at it in the morning and see if it helps her enough.

You are correct, it is counter-intuitive to right click on a link to create a sub-folder, but this does seem to work consistently. It creates the folder right above the link clicked. That's a major improvement from seemingly random. Thanks for discovering this.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 29, 2007, 10:44:52 pm »

Thanks for discovering this.

You're quite welcome.  Here's hoping it helps some.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)