The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:24:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:24:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Incense?  (Read 22717 times)
sieriyuu
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 28, 2007, 05:03:34 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Shivar Li Tavk

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 28, 2007, 04:53:59 pm »

What is your favourite incense ? Do you like the cones or sticks better ?

I just tried the cone incense for the first time  2 weeks ago and I luv them ^_^ My favourite is Strawberry because its fun and sweet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 05:54:39 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject modified » Logged

.: High Priestess of Willow Star Coven :.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Midori
Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2007, 08:01:45 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Druid

Mead Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 28, 2007, 05:00:34 pm »

My favourute incence is a loose one called Kyphi.  It is an Egyptian one and is very exotic.

Cheers, midori

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum?
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 28, 2007, 05:03:40 pm »

I just tried the cone incense for the first time  2 weeks ago and I luv them ^_^ My favourite is Strawberry because its fun and sweet.

I don't really have a favorite scent, though I like sandalwood or jasmine. As far as the type, I use the sticks but my favorite is the loose natural herbs that you put over the charcoal pieces.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 28, 2007, 05:11:52 pm »

Do you like the cones or sticks better ?

It depends on what my purpose in burning the incense.  If I'm using it for spell work, I tend to gravitate toward powdered incense (usually either hand made or hand-blended for the specific purpose).  If I want to do a smudge or cleansing or want to just have the fragrance, I'll use sticks.  Cones are my least favorite, but I still manage to collect them somehow.

What is your favourite incense ?

Again, it depends on my intent.   As just an everyday, mundane use scent, probably sandalwood is my favorite.  For spiritual/astral work, I love lavender.  Dragon's blood is the other of my top three... smells yummy and is good for so many things.   Smiley

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: June 28, 2007, 05:23:36 pm »

Neither; I mix my own loose incense.  The blend I generally use is frankincense, bay and cinnamon.

Before I was doing that, I liked to use stick incense, but not the usual stuff you find around here...  I discovered some Japanese stick incense that I really liked.  The three scents I usually used were jasmine, lavendar, and white plum.  The switch was one of those "personal preference" things; I just felt like trying loose, and once I tried it I decided I liked it.

I've also used cones and they're OK, but it seems like they burn faster and heavier.  Which is sometimes OK and sometimes annoys me.  Smiley  (It could be I've just gotten the wrong brands or something.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 28, 2007, 05:55:09 pm »

I use stick and loose, ok, and whatever else I can get my hand son that appeals - for appeals read 'odd and unusual' Wink
Although my favourite ever I've never found again, some cheap stick thing called Night Magic or Black Magic... I found uses for it's heady-ness.

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 28, 2007, 06:19:51 pm »

I've also used cones and they're OK, but it seems like they burn faster and heavier.  Which is sometimes OK and sometimes annoys me.  Smiley  (It could be I've just gotten the wrong brands or something.)

I don't think it's a brand problem. I've had the same results with any variety of cone incense that I've tried.  Tends to be too smoky and heavy for my liking.

semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 28, 2007, 08:40:37 pm »

My favourute incence is a loose one called Kyphi.  It is an Egyptian one and is very exotic.

Cheers, midori

I've always wanted to try this incense but I keep forgetting where I saw a good recipe for it and I'm certain it wasn't Wikipedia . Is this an incense you'd recommend making yourself or is it best purchased?

On Topic: I like stick incense mainly out of habit. Though I'm trying to remember if cone incense was less messy. My favorite is Nag Champa and Sandlewood. I like "deep" earthy smells with that hint of sweet.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 28, 2007, 10:57:33 pm »

I love all forms and scents myself. I tend to use alot of Sandalwood or blended incenses, like this beautiful smelling stick incense I got that has rosewater in it as well as lavender and sandalwood and something i can't recall.

Bright Blessings

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 29, 2007, 01:30:09 am »

My favorite commercially-made incense is Satya Sai Baba's Nag Champa (in the ubiquitous blue box).  Otherwise I like copal and frankincense burned on charcoal.  For outdoors (especially in winter) I sometimes burn fresh fir sap on charcoal.

Brina
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 29, 2007, 02:16:55 pm »

I've always wanted to try this incense but I keep forgetting where I saw a good recipe for it and I'm certain it wasn't Wikipedia . Is this an incense you'd recommend making yourself or is it best purchased?

Kapet (Kyphi) is very complicated.  (And we're not 100% sure what all of the ingredients are, too!)  The instructions from the temple at Edfu go something like:

- grind these six ingredients in a mortar; 2/5 of the volume will be liquid to be discarded
- reduce these four ingredients to powder
- moisten all this with wine in a copper vessel (half the wine will be absorbed; discard the remainder)
- leave that mixture overnight
- moisten the raisins with different wine
- mix all the above together and let sit for five days
- boil to reduce volume by a fifth
- add to the honey and frankincense the mass above macerated in wine
- leave overnight
- grind myrrh and add it to the above

Um, yeah.  Complicated.

The source I used to get my kyphi from seems to have gone out of business.  Alchemy Works has three variants, two made from surviving Greek recipes, one from one of the Edfu formulae.  (There are something like six kyphi recipes that survived from the ancient world -- all with honey, raisins, wine, and herbs/spices/resins, but differing on proportions and which herbs/spices/resins go in.)

Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 29, 2007, 06:58:45 pm »

I love powder incence.  It's my all time favorite, though I still love Stick and cone.  I love the traditional ones, ceder, sandalwood, myrrh, ect, but, I still stry different kinds when I see a kind I'm interested in.
It all really depends on my mood and the ritual/meditiation I'm doing.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Midori
Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2007, 08:01:45 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Druid

Mead Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 30, 2007, 06:50:56 am »

The source I used to get my kyphi from seems to have gone out of business. 

I get mine from Starchild in Glastonbury. I believe it has a website, but I get mine from their shop.

Cheers, Midori

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum?
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 01, 2007, 12:25:31 pm »

Kapet (Kyphi) is very complicated.  (And we're not 100% sure what all of the ingredients are, too!)  The instructions from the temple at Edfu go something like:

- grind these six ingredients in a mortar; 2/5 of the volume will be liquid to be discarded
- reduce these four ingredients to powder
- moisten all this with wine in a copper vessel (half the wine will be absorbed; discard the remainder)
- leave that mixture overnight
- moisten the raisins with different wine
- mix all the above together and let sit for five days
- boil to reduce volume by a fifth
- add to the honey and frankincense the mass above macerated in wine
- leave overnight
- grind myrrh and add it to the above

Um, yeah.  Complicated.

The source I used to get my kyphi from seems to have gone out of business.  Alchemy Works has three variants, two made from surviving Greek recipes, one from one of the Edfu formulae.  (There are something like six kyphi recipes that survived from the ancient world -- all with honey, raisins, wine, and herbs/spices/resins, but differing on proportions and which herbs/spices/resins go in.)

In the words of my grandmother "You ain't neva lied!" I searched around online in search of a retailer, but the thought of trying to make it on my own wouldn't leave me alone. Did some poking around on my bookshelf and found where I had seen the recipe- in Scott Cunningham's Complete Book of Incense and Brews (pg. 74). There's an extensive and then simplified version of the formula.

One link referenced Dioscorides' Materia Medica though I'm not sure how easy it would be to find an adequate translation. Forget Google, I ran it through "Ask" and still hit roadblocks. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Who knows?

Before I jump even MORE all over the place, I think I'll give homemade Kyphi a few tries and if it doesn't work out I'll buy it.

My favorite commercially-made incense is Satya Sai Baba's Nag Champa (in the ubiquitous blue box).  Otherwise I like copal and frankincense burned on charcoal.  For outdoors (especially in winter) I sometimes burn fresh fir sap on charcoal.

Brina

I too love this incense, but I've had instances where I'll buy a box and it smells NOTHING like the Nag Champa I'm used to. Chalk it up to a bad batch I guess. LOL!

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: July 01, 2007, 04:07:49 pm »

One link referenced Dioscorides' Materia Medica though I'm not sure how easy it would be to find an adequate translation. Forget Google, I ran it through "Ask" and still hit roadblocks. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Who knows?

Dioscorides's formula is one of the surviving ones.

There are several recipes in the book Sacred Luxuries: Fragrance, Aromatherapy, and Cosmetics in Ancient Egypt, by Lise Manniche.  That book also goes into the complexities of figuring out what the recipes mean.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)