The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 02:39:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 02:39:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Incense?  (Read 31859 times)
Franky Cook
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 20, 2008, 08:15:22 am
United States United States

Religion: Greco-Roman recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #150: November 07, 2008, 08:04:16 pm »

Kapet (Kyphi) is very complicated.  (And we're not 100% sure what all of the ingredients are, too!)  The instructions from the temple at Edfu go something like:

- grind these six ingredients in a mortar; 2/5 of the volume will be liquid to be discarded
- reduce these four ingredients to powder
- moisten all this with wine in a copper vessel (half the wine will be absorbed; discard the remainder)
- leave that mixture overnight
- moisten the raisins with different wine
- mix all the above together and let sit for five days
- boil to reduce volume by a fifth
- add to the honey and frankincense the mass above macerated in wine
- leave overnight
- grind myrrh and add it to the above

Um, yeah.  Complicated.

The source I used to get my kyphi from seems to have gone out of business.  Alchemy Works has three variants, two made from surviving Greek recipes, one from one of the Edfu formulae.  (There are something like six kyphi recipes that survived from the ancient world -- all with honey, raisins, wine, and herbs/spices/resins, but differing on proportions and which herbs/spices/resins go in.)

I use all the Kyphis (resin blends) from Alchemy Works and Fred Solls stick incense - mostly sweet/ancient blends of frankincense, myrrh - the burning of which can make me ecstatic - and cinnamon/vanilla scents during the winter.  The only floral scent I use is a French lavender stick from Escential Essences but only in the spring/summer.

"Truth is an iron bride."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #151: November 07, 2008, 10:06:10 pm »

What is your favourite incense ? Do you like the cones or sticks better ?

My all time favorites are the Japanese incense. No sticks to burn and get smokey and no stumps left over. They are lighter and less heavy than the Indian varieties too.

I recently purchased some home-made incense at a Ren Faire and it is some of the most pleasant I have ever used! When it comes to hand-made, I will only order from them from now on!

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #152: November 07, 2008, 10:29:35 pm »

Well for bedtime, I fell absolutely in love with a Japanese stick incense called Eternal Treasure from www.shoyeido.com. It's hand rolled without a stick, so I can just burn a couple of inches as I'm getting ready for bed. I also really like their Frankincense sticks as well, but since they are really expensive I don't burn it very often or very much of it.

When I really want to get the yuckies out of the house, I burn some Dragon's blood resin on charcoal. The incense company above also makes charcoal blocks that don't contain sulfur.

Also be careful when you burn resin, because if you put too much on the charcoal, you'll set smoke detectors off ( *sigh* ex boyfriend did that while I was at work, it was still really strong in the house hours later).  Wink

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
LadyRaine
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2009, 06:55:01 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #153: November 08, 2008, 11:35:39 am »

Well for bedtime, I fell absolutely in love with a Japanese stick incense called Eternal Treasure from www.shoyeido.com. It's hand rolled without a stick, so I can just burn a couple of inches as I'm getting ready for bed. I also really like their Frankincense sticks as well, but since they are really expensive I don't burn it very often or very much of it.

When I really want to get the yuckies out of the house, I burn some Dragon's blood resin on charcoal. The incense company above also makes charcoal blocks that don't contain sulfur.

Also be careful when you burn resin, because if you put too much on the charcoal, you'll set smoke detectors off ( *sigh* ex boyfriend did that while I was at work, it was still really strong in the house hours later).  Wink

My favorite thing about the dragon's blood resins or "chunks" as I like to call them (lol well that's what they are) is that you get an incense out of them and then you can also do your magickal writings with the melted resin if you're fast enough !  I usually will just use that to seal a written spell or add a symbol and such.
Midnightrider
Journeyman
Last Login:January 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am
France France

Religion: Earth pagan (Old Religion)

At the Midnight Hour

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #154: November 18, 2008, 08:26:59 am »

I especially like resins. My favorite is frankincense. Te one I have originates from Somalia and I buy it from a small boutique located in a shopping center not far from my home that also sells candles and other unique items for the home, and the body as well. They are expensive, but I have had so much satisfaction with these products that just make them last a very long time.

Midnightrider

"Let your love be like the misty rain, coming softly but flooding the river."
KitsuneFue
Last Login:November 25, 2008, 09:45:31 pm
Singapore Singapore

Religion: Taoist Christian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #155: November 24, 2008, 08:28:28 am »

I like the deep tones in jasmine incense. I also like opium scented, for some reason. I prefer cones, but that's because the pagan/wiccan/any religion you could possibly practice shop has a neat brand of them that's absolutely massive. The cones stand about two inches tall and they burn for a good 15-20 minutes if you light them properly.

As far as spell work, meditation, etc... I mix my own.

Albert Einstein -
- I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking.
Anagantios
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 14, 2009, 04:01:25 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #156: April 04, 2009, 04:55:09 am »

I use stick and loose, ok, and whatever else I can get my hand son that appeals - for appeals read 'odd and unusual' Wink
Although my favourite ever I've never found again, some cheap stick thing called Night Magic or Black Magic... I found uses for it's heady-ness.

Just stocked up on "Black Magic/Magie Noire" today, my local occult shop has racks of it. ^^

~Anagantios~

- Call of the God
I am the spark of life, the radiant sun,
the giver of peace and rest,
and I send my rays of blessings to warn the hearts,
and strengthen the minds of all.

- Blessed be!
Vyk
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2013, 10:06:11 am

Religion: Not Applicable
TCN ID: Vyk1345

Blog entries (0)

vyk1345

Ignore
« Reply #157: April 08, 2009, 10:49:50 am »

While I tend to burn different incenses depending on my mood or the purpose, my favorite is honeysuckle.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #158: April 14, 2009, 10:43:26 am »

While I tend to burn different incenses depending on my mood or the purpose, my favorite is honeysuckle.

Just a quick note, Vyk--please don't forget to use the quote/reply function (and leave the quote code in) when replying to posts.  Even if you're just replying to the first post of the thread, the quote and the link back that the code provides really help the rest of us follow the discussion (and are required by our rules).  Thanks!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Vyk
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2013, 10:06:11 am

Religion: Not Applicable
TCN ID: Vyk1345

Blog entries (0)

vyk1345

Ignore
« Reply #159: April 14, 2009, 10:44:28 am »

Just a quick note, Vyk--please don't forget to use the quote/reply function (and leave the quote code in) when replying to posts.  Even if you're just replying to the first post of the thread, the quote and the link back that the code provides really help the rest of us follow the discussion (and are required by our rules).  Thanks!

Thank you Star.  I will be sure to do so going forward!

Vyk
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #160: April 18, 2009, 05:25:48 pm »

I like sticks better, as a few others have stated the cones can be really heavy and smoky.  Right now my favorite for morning meditation is either bergamont or Cinnamon/Orange.  I love spice and citrus scents.  At night I like lavender or dragonsblood. 

My son loves some hand made ones he found at a local shop called earth, peace, and fire.  They're ok, but a bit flowery for my everyday liking.  However, they burn forever and are not very smoky.

My next 'project' will be to make my own.  I'm really picky about smells.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 13, 2012, 11:46:34 pm

Religion: Herbalist with a dash of Kitchen Witchery

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #161: May 02, 2009, 02:11:27 am »

For me it depends;
In cone my favorite is the lemongrass sage, although it can be overpowering if I forget to open the windows  Cheesy
In stick my favorite is patchouli, which never seems to be too much, no matter how much I burn it Smiley

Scarabnight

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)