The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 04, 2020, 06:15:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2020, 06:15:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Obligation of Introduction  (Read 4547 times)
Mendrian
Last Login:June 29, 2007, 01:50:50 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Ancient Greek, some Chaos Theory

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 29, 2007, 03:12:04 am »

Hello, fellow pagans.  I stumbled upon your message board in an attempt to find like minded individuals.  I'm trying to rectify my faith within the greater scope of my life, and I feel like there is a certain kind of retained "embarrassment" regarding my faith.  Not matter how many times I overcome the fear to exclaim, "Good goddess" in public or something equally silly, I still feel like I just can't reclaim my pride, but I feel unshaken in my faith.

I have a very personal relationship with my pantheon, and don't cling to any particular trappings, though I have a certain predisposition towards the Ancient Greek pantheon and Persephone in particular.  I came here for a little extra support and advice, and I hope to one day be able to share my religious experiences with friends and family who are interested without feeling as though I have a hurdle of shame to overcome.

To answer any questions, no, I've never been Christian.  I don't know from where this feeling originates; my family and friends are extremely supportive, and I've never been treated poorly as a result of my beliefs.  Perhaps it is the difficulty I have in summorizing my thoughts to others - after all I don't truly have a single line of dogma or bit of wisdom to impart.  My religion is always shifting and changing with each new discussion with my Gods and Goddesses, and sometimes I feel that, as a solitary, it's very hard to constantly grapple with one's faith in seclusion.

Phew, long intro... thanks for hearing me out!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #1: June 29, 2007, 03:19:11 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron, Mendrian!

--Chabas
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 29, 2007, 05:59:29 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

As a personal thought, if 'good goddess' isn't something you exclaim on instinct, than it will feel silly.  Exclamations like that are generally what comes to mind, regardless of whether they synch up with your beliefs, life, etc.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: June 29, 2007, 07:52:46 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

and I tend to say things like "sweet mother of god" .. and I've never been Catholic.  Just grew up around 'em.  *shrug*  when you swear, you say whatever's programmed in, not what you want to say. Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 29, 2007, 08:21:58 am »

Hello, fellow pagans.

Welcome to TC!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: June 29, 2007, 08:36:15 am »

Hello, fellow pagans.  I stumbled upon your message board in an attempt to find like minded individuals.

Welcome to The Cauldron, Mendrian!

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: June 29, 2007, 08:51:55 am »

Hello, fellow pagans. 

Welcome to the Cauldron!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: June 29, 2007, 08:58:10 am »

and I tend to say things like "sweet mother of god" .. and I've never been Catholic.  Just grew up around 'em.  *shrug*  when you swear, you say whatever's programmed in, not what you want to say. Smiley

Agreed.  I have a tendency to say "oh my god" and "good lord" even though I haven't been Christian for years.  *shrug* And I could stretch that if I wanted to say, "Well, I do have a single, male Patron, even if I believe in multiple gods," but the truth is I'm just saying what's been programmed into my brain.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 29, 2007, 10:36:53 am »

Hello, fellow pagans.  I stumbled upon your message board in an attempt to find like minded individuals.  I'm trying to rectify my faith within the greater scope of my life, and I feel like there is a certain kind of retained "embarrassment" regarding my faith.  Not matter how many times I overcome the fear to exclaim, "Good goddess" in public or something equally silly, I still feel like I just can't reclaim my pride, but I feel unshaken in my faith.

Welcome Smiley

Do I dare admit I've been known to pick up things from kids TV? lol 'Great Ceasar's Ghost!" being one example. Now that's silly - not exactly what you meant I know, but... Smiley

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: June 29, 2007, 10:39:42 am »

Do I dare admit I've been known to pick up things from kids TV? lol 'Great Ceasar's Ghost!" being one example. Now that's silly - not exactly what you meant I know, but... Smiley

Admit away.  Hubby's been using "oh.  your.  god." lately, which he picked up from Futurama.  (Hey, at least it was that and not "sweet zombie Jesus".)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 29, 2007, 11:26:29 am »

Admit away.  Hubby's been using "oh.  your.  god." lately, which he picked up from Futurama.  (Hey, at least it was that and not "sweet zombie Jesus".)

is THAT where I got sweet zombie Jesus from?Huh?

that's been bugging me.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: June 29, 2007, 11:30:52 am »

is THAT where I got sweet zombie Jesus from?Huh?

Possibly; it's the only place I've heard it, but it's also possible Groening got it from someplace else and I just don't realize it.  You'd only have heard it there if you've watched the DVDs, though, the phrase gets altered or cut or something when the couple of episodes that include it run on TV.  (I forget exactly how they handle it, since we own all 4 seasons on DVD and watch it that way; I just remember it gets censored for TV runs.)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

RebDog
Journeyman
Last Login:December 10, 2007, 12:02:44 pm

Religion: Northern Tradition/claimed by Odin

Knowest thou how to ask? offer? send? sacrifice?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 29, 2007, 11:47:03 pm »

I have a very personal relationship with my pantheon, and don't cling to any particular trappings, though I have a certain predisposition towards the Ancient Greek pantheon and Persephone in particular.  I came here for a little extra support and advice, and I hope to one day be able to share my religious experiences with friends and family who are interested without feeling as though I have a hurdle of shame to overcome.

To answer any questions, no, I've never been Christian.  I don't know from where this feeling originates; my family and friends are extremely supportive, and I've never been treated poorly as a result of my beliefs.  Perhaps it is the difficulty I have in summorizing my thoughts to others - after all I don't truly have a single line of dogma or bit of wisdom to impart.  My religion is always shifting and changing with each new discussion with my Gods and Goddesses, and sometimes I feel that, as a solitary, it's very hard to constantly grapple with one's faith in seclusion.

Phew, long intro... thanks for hearing me out!
       Welcome, Mendrian     

Strong is the beam that raised must be
To give an entrance to all;
Give it a ring, or grim will be
The wish it would work on thee.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 01, 2007, 02:53:37 pm »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

As a personal thought, if 'good goddess' isn't something you exclaim on instinct, than it will feel silly.  Exclamations like that are generally what comes to mind, regardless of whether they synch up with your beliefs, life, etc.
Yeah, for some reason my favorite exclamation has become "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!"  Never been Catholic.  Huh
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 01, 2007, 11:53:26 pm »

Yeah, for some reason my favorite exclamation has become "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!"  Never been Catholic.  Huh

I say that too!  I've had a strong Catholic influence in my life, but the Catholics I know would never say it.  Not sure where I picked it up from.

My mother says "holy cow!"  And no, she's not Hindu.  Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)