The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 27, 2020, 12:09:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2020, 12:09:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for words...  (Read 4025 times)
cldfront
Apprentice
Last Login:September 15, 2007, 09:48:13 am
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 29, 2007, 09:00:19 am »

I own a seafood market and nearly every day I must cook about 20 live crab from our live tanks so that we can have a cooked product for our customers.  I've always felt rather saddish and for a few years now I'd say things like "sorry crabs!" as I threw them in the boil... but lately I feel like I need something more substantial.  So I started "thanking" the crabs for their sacrafice and such as I was tossing them in but that seems a bit ridiculous because they're hardling making a CHOICE to be boiled... eh...

Anyway.  If anyone can think of a quick little chant or something I can say either verbally or internally that would convey the fact that I'm rather sorry to be the axe that falls on so many creatures?  Some sort of thanks to the ocean Gods and Godesses for their bounty?

So many of you here seem to not only possess vast amounts of knowledge but also are very eloquent.   Grin 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 29, 2007, 09:09:30 am »

So I started "thanking" the crabs for their sacrafice and such as I was tossing them in but that seems a bit ridiculous because they're hardling making a CHOICE to be boiled... eh...

"Thanking" the crabs for giving up their energy to fuel yours sounds right to me.  But I am probably not in the majority.  Of course, I used to a ritual whenever I saw roadkill, to speed its spirit onward.  ::smile::

Elspeth Sapphire
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 29, 2007, 09:12:03 am »

I forgot to add that words from the heart work best for this.

Elspeth Sapphire
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 29, 2007, 01:24:15 pm »

I own a seafood market and nearly every day I must cook about 20 live crab from our live tanks so that we can have a cooked product for our customers.  I've always felt rather saddish and for a few years now I'd say things like "sorry crabs!" as I threw them in the boil... but lately I feel like I need something more substantial.  So I started "thanking" the crabs for their sacrafice and such as I was tossing them in but that seems a bit ridiculous because they're hardling making a CHOICE to be boiled... eh...

Actually, thanking them for their sacrifice sounds right to me.  Perhaps burn incense every so often in remembrance of them?  Something that comes from YOUR heart would be best.  If you feel really bad, maybe you could donate money to some cause to help conservation issues as far as the ocean goes? 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 29, 2007, 03:53:16 pm »

Anyway.  If anyone can think of a quick little chant or something I can say either verbally or internally that would convey the fact that I'm rather sorry to be the axe that falls on so many creatures?  Some sort of thanks to the ocean Gods and Godesses for their bounty?

So many of you here seem to not only possess vast amounts of knowledge but also are very eloquent.   Grin 

This is just me, but if I felt that bad and the need to say I was sorry, then I just wouldn't be able to participate. If you truly feel sadness at your actions over these creatures, maybe you should delve further into that. I feel no amount of apology changes the action myself or makes it any better.

But that's just my humble opinion,lol. Bright Blessings.

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 29, 2007, 05:00:27 pm »

Perhaps 'asking' them which ones would be willing to make the sacrifice for their brothers to have another day?

I think I would first ask for those who no longer desired to be in captivity, as well as those who were nearing death from previously existing conditions even if they weren't yet noticeable to come forward. 

I might even elect a "tank king" who had sacred status freeing him or her from the worry of death, and perhaps make small offerings to it in a sympathetic magic style. 

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 29, 2007, 05:18:05 pm »

Actually, thanking them for their sacrifice sounds right to me.  Perhaps burn incense every so often in remembrance of them?  Something that comes from YOUR heart would be best.  If you feel really bad, maybe you could donate money to some cause to help conservation issues as far as the ocean goes? 

Gina

I'd encourage Regular practice. It doesn't really matter wether you do it every morning before the first batch, end of the day after last batch, once a week, etc.

I feel that regular practice means in part that you care enough to make time on a regular basis rather than it being an afterthought.
cldfront
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 29, 2007, 11:03:14 pm »

This is just me, but if I felt that bad and the need to say I was sorry, then I just wouldn't be able to participate. If you truly feel sadness at your actions over these creatures, maybe you should delve further into that. I feel no amount of apology changes the action myself or makes it any better.

But that's just my humble opinion,lol. Bright Blessings.

I think I'm not looking so much to apologize for what I do... because it's a necessary action for me, no doubt about it.  I'm maybe looking for a way to verbalize my appreciation and to recognize that a life is ending at my hand.  I don't want to take it lightly or make an effort to just not *think* about it like I've done in the past. 
cldfront
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 29, 2007, 11:04:59 pm »

"Thanking" the crabs for giving up their energy to fuel yours sounds right to me. 

I like this!  Perhaps just a "thank you for your energy" to each of the creatures and then a general "thanks" to the Ocean. 

Much appreciated!
cldfront
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 29, 2007, 11:08:26 pm »

Perhaps 'asking' them which ones would be willing to make the sacrifice for their brothers to have another day?

I think I would first ask for those who no longer desired to be in captivity, as well as those who were nearing death from previously existing conditions even if they weren't yet noticeable to come forward. 

I might even elect a "tank king" who had sacred status freeing him or her from the worry of death, and perhaps make small offerings to it in a sympathetic magic style. 

These are very interesting ideas but I'm afraid with our setup, not "doable".  They sort of all just mill around and I try hard to randomly grab individuals.  Every once in a while I do release a random crab.  Our shop is right on the water so I just take a crab and go toss him in the boat basin.  lol  I hope one of the harbor seals doesn't get a nice snack... but I feel good about it anyway. 
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: June 29, 2007, 11:36:24 pm »

I would hope that any reputable seafood market would make every effort not to have in their stock crabs that were about to die from other causes.  Selling diseased crabmeat for human consumption seems like a really good way to make someone seriously sick.  I suppose they could just be old, but I would think that would be pretty inferior quality meat, which would not generally make customers want to continue to buy from you.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
cldfront
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 30, 2007, 12:03:44 am »

I would hope that any reputable seafood market would make every effort not to have in their stock crabs that were about to die from other causes.  Selling diseased crabmeat for human consumption seems like a really good way to make someone seriously sick.  I suppose they could just be old, but I would think that would be pretty inferior quality meat, which would not generally make customers want to continue to buy from you.

Oh gosh Star, it's not actually that far fetched of an idea.  Crab do silly things like try to eat their neighbor and fight with the guy next to them.  It's no big deal to cook up the one that's dropped a leg from a recent fight because he's not likely to survive another day with the rest of his buddies that are in perfect condition.  Crab get damaged from time to time during transportation even using the very best of techniques and it's a very good plan to immediately cook and offer that crab up as a cooked product instead of seeing how it fares in the tank enviornment.  The meat quality from such a crab is exactly the same as one that might be in fine form and ready to spend a few days in the tank.  Smiley

It's funny how in the wild you very rarely see disease.  We go through a LOT of crab (not to mention tons of other wild seafood) and only on the rare occasion do you see anything that looks like it might have health issues.  We do see a lot of Mahi Mahi that have had their spine broken and it's healed... I think that's from catch and release fishing more than anything though. 
cldfront
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 30, 2007, 12:43:28 am »

Okay, last seafood post from me, I promise.  Cheesy I just clicked to see what Natalie Dee was posting for today and this was the result.  Please tell me everyone loves a little fish safe humor here, no?  Ha!

www.nataliedee.com
And she has this to say about displaying her images:
You may display Natalie Dee comics on any personal, educational, or non-profit website, provided you link to nataliedee.com. You may not reproduce them in print or other media without explicit written permission.
Midori
Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2007, 08:01:45 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Druid

Mead Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 30, 2007, 07:27:30 am »

I think you are doing fine, and I personally think that thanking the crabs for their sacrifice is apt. They wouldn't have been in the net otherwise, they would have hightailed it outta there, or hidden somewhere the net couldn't get 'em! Wink

Cheers, midori

I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out your bum?
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: June 30, 2007, 07:52:24 am »

Oh gosh Star, it's not actually that far fetched of an idea.  Crab do silly things like try to eat their neighbor and fight with the guy next to them.  It's no big deal to cook up the one that's dropped a leg from a recent fight because he's not likely to survive another day with the rest of his buddies that are in perfect condition.  Crab get damaged from time to time during transportation even using the very best of techniques and it's a very good plan to immediately cook and offer that crab up as a cooked product instead of seeing how it fares in the tank enviornment.  The meat quality from such a crab is exactly the same as one that might be in fine form and ready to spend a few days in the tank.  Smiley

Ah, OK.  I wasn't aware of that, sorry.  Thanks for the info.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)