The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 22, 2021, 06:41:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2021, 06:41:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Magic without religion  (Read 22951 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #45: July 18, 2007, 08:11:39 pm »

While both Shad (not Shadowheart, my still-taunting-me god) and Morrigan are more than welcome to participate in whatever magic I do, I don't really plan on calling on them for actual help with the magic. That seems... disrespectful. Undecided I'd rather 'play' on my own and then if I actually do need help with something big know that I can ask for help and not find I've made them mad...

Eh, you all know what I mean, right? Cheesy
<chuckle> The Morrigan tells me that what she says to a devotee whose "magic" is effectively petitionary prayer is, "Do it yourself, lazybones!  Who was your servant last year?"

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #46: July 18, 2007, 09:51:53 pm »

basically having a little statue or something on your altar or whatever you choose to work on/with, can act as a point of security to aim your focus through/on; it can somewhat keep you grounded. You could subsitute whatever deity you'd like to use, or just use your own. If you believe in yourself, use a picture of yourself. You don't have to worship yourself to use the object as a grounding tool.

There are a few things about this advice that are confusing me.  Allowing for the fact that I keep religion and magic separate, so may be misunderstanding the terms when they are used together, I just have to ask.

Are you advocating 'using' deities according to what you hope to get out of the spell?  Do the deities object to being used? Or do you mean that the spell is 'addressed' to these deities, in the manner of a petitionary prayer?  Would a deity who is not part of your ordinary worship bother to respond to such a prayer?

Or are the deities in this case more along the lines of symbols of certain qualities and archetypes, rather than individuals?  Sort of 'names of power' rather than actual gods and goddesses.

I'm also not sure how you are advocating the statues or symbols being used.  You seem to be saying that they are to be an aid in drawing energy, a safeguard for the caster's security, and a ground, all at the same time.  I would normally have three different items for three such different tasks, so I am curious about how you work that one is all three without tainting any one of the purposes or confusing yourself.

I don't mind props.  In fact, I'm all about the props myself except in cases of absolute emergency.  My will and intent are fine, but I find the trappings I can touch and see give me a measurable boost.  I'm just not sure how you are mixing deities into the mix without offending them, and how you are using one prop for three separate jobs.  I'd honestly like to understand how it works for you.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #47: July 19, 2007, 09:56:09 pm »

That I understand completely! I'm glad you replied, as I was getting bogged down in others' replies and I was hoping to see how you took my response.

Heh, I'll be a rather sporadic poster until I finally get to move out (and get highspeed, finally!). But I'll be back to respond, no worries.

In some of my research, I've found that a lot of the uses for Deities in magick is for a focal point to draw one's own energy through. I'm having a bit of trouble wording it so I don't sound psycho, so I'll kinda wing it - basically having a little statue or something on your altar or whatever you choose to work on/with, can act as a point of security to aim your focus through/on; it can somewhat keep you grounded. You could subsitute whatever deity you'd like to use, or just use your own. If you believe in yourself, use a picture of yourself. You don't have to worship yourself to use the object as a grounding tool.

*slaps forehead* Thank you, you've pointed out the obvious use for the crystal I posted about elsewhere - it's a focal point for whatever works I do. I feel really silly right about now, especially since I've been thinking about all this AND posting about how it seems to focus really well. I just never put 2 and 2 together. Roll Eyes

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)