The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2021, 10:42:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2021, 10:42:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Avoiding "Made in China"  (Read 13020 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 30, 2007, 09:26:36 am »

(My thinking is that it's damn near impossible.)

What to do when everything is ‘Made in China?’
A one-week attempt to avoid products from there meets with little success

U.S. shoppers may be forgiven if they are becoming leery of Chinese-made goods and are trying to fill their shopping carts with products free of ingredients from that country.

The trouble is, that may be almost impossible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19508453/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 30, 2007, 09:31:48 am »

U.S. shoppers may be forgiven if they are becoming leery of Chinese-made goods and are trying to fill their shopping carts with products free of ingredients from that country.

whole foods diet.  the rest of it, I've no clue.  As soon as my kids feet stop growing, I'm getting them Birkys. clothing is probably a lost cause.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 30, 2007, 09:32:52 am »

whole foods diet.  the rest of it, I've no clue.  As soon as my kids feet stop growing, I'm getting them Birkys. clothing is probably a lost cause.

Weren't you the one trying to boycott China right after the pet food poisoning?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 30, 2007, 04:47:17 pm »

Question: is that an accusation?  Because a whole lot of other people were running ideas of that sort through the threads including the cauldron commune. maybe I'm just tired.

Yes I did say no more processed foods until I could be sure it didn't come from china.  I have been about as successful at that as the family trying to find nonchinese schoes acceptable to their son.  I'm beginning to think it is impossible to avoid chinese in anything except for locally done whole food, hence the comment.

I thought BIrky's were made in germany.  If they're not I may have to reassess, because aside from comfort, that's one reason I buy them, germany has worker protection.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 30, 2007, 05:45:48 pm »

Question: is that an accusation?  Because a whole lot of other people were running ideas of that sort through the threads including the cauldron commune. maybe I'm just tired.

No. Not at all. I just remembered someone talking about it and shoes specifically (I think) and how hard it was to find non-China options, but I couldn't remember who it was.

Yes I did say no more processed foods until I could be sure it didn't come from china.  I have been about as successful at that as the family trying to find nonchinese schoes acceptable to their son.  I'm beginning to think it is impossible to avoid chinese in anything except for locally done whole food, hence the comment.

Sometimes I think Walmart has a whole lot to answer for because, while there have always been a lot of imports, it seems the Made in China craze started going insane about the time they were doing the price cut thing.

I thought BIrky's were made in germany.  If they're not I may have to reassess, because aside from comfort, that's one reason I buy them, germany has worker protection.

They may be. I wish I could do something like that, but I'm limited to either Nike or Addidas cross trainers because of my foot problems. Sad

Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #5: June 30, 2007, 05:49:58 pm »

Sometimes I think Walmart has a whole lot to answer for because, while there have always been a lot of imports, it seems the Made in China craze started going insane about the time they were doing the price cut thing.

There was an article in a Dutch paper recently about Walmart. They mentioned that if Walmart were a country, they'd be China's 9th largest trading partner.

--Chabas
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 30, 2007, 06:08:49 pm »

There was an article in a Dutch paper recently about Walmart. They mentioned that if Walmart were a country, they'd be China's 9th largest trading partner.

--Chabas

I have no doubt that's true. The amount of cheap knockoffs at Walmart seems to have increased quite a bit more than what they had a few years ago. And it was a lot then!

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 30, 2007, 06:10:59 pm »

--Chabas

Which is really scary when you think about it. Sad

ShadowcatCM
Adept Member
Last Login:July 16, 2009, 05:14:58 pm

Religion: witchy Pagan - quite eclectic

Every action, even inaction, affects someone.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 30, 2007, 08:44:01 pm »

*is glad she has SOME options in beading components from Austria and Japan*

Shadowcat

Shadowcat Cloudmoon
Chat Host at The Cauldron
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 02, 2007, 12:02:25 pm »

No. Not at all. I just remembered someone talking about it and shoes specifically (I think) and how hard it was to find non-China options, but I couldn't remember who it was.

*raises hand*

That was me.  And it is damn near impossible to find comfy, non-China-made shoes when you can't afford Birkenstocks (though I'm saving up, and hoping the Birkenstock clearance store out near Notre Dame is as realatively cheap as I hear).  I wound up having to suck it up, because I really had to have shoes.

Clothing, though pretty much impossible to find made in the US, is still not too difficult to find not made in China.  Any given article of clothing, IME, has about 50% odds of being made in China -- 75% odds if it's something I like.   Angry

Also, according to the article, Bicycle playing cards are made in the US, but the ones in my Wal-Mart aren't, so that may vary.  It also states that gum arabic is primarily a Chinese product, but according to NPR, it's a Sudanese product (although if it's grown in Sudan and processed in China, that's doubly damning) that's in everything.

I doubt they really care.  They're building stores in China now, so by the time the US economy crashes (and I have no proof it will, it's just the feeling I get), they'll be sitting pretty in Asia.  Really, I'm surprised they haven't built any stores in Mumbai or Bangladesh, yet.

Btw, Mandrina:

They are.  See: http://www.birkenstock.com/index_kl24.php

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 02, 2007, 12:04:24 pm »

*raises hand*

That was me.  And it is damn near impossible to find comfy, non-China-made shoes when you can't afford Birkenstocks (though I'm saving up, and hoping the Birkenstock clearance store out near Notre Dame is as realatively cheap as I hear).  I wound up having to suck it up, because I really had to have shoes.

AHA!! I thought I remembered *someone* talking about shoes.

Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 02, 2007, 12:17:27 pm »

I don't remember exaclty who that was either who was already boycotting, but shortly after that post, I started my own "as much as I can" boycott of China.  It's hard.  But I just bought a Fantastic pair of stylish and Comfortable shoes made in Mexico by a brand of Born Shoes.  Granted, it's not the USA where workers will get proper wages, but I'd rather support Mexican trade than China's at this point.

I eat mostly a whole food type diet, so food usually isn't a concern for me being that I live in Texas where a lot of the imported stuff comes from Mexico.  But I am training myself to keep a lookout.  There are some things, like my Green and White teas that I'm just going to have to concede on, though.  but I have reveled in the fact that food storage options are easy.  Just use Pyrex glassware instead of plastic.  It's sturdier anyways AND it can go in the oven.  Some Corningware is also made in the USA.

Clothing and electronics are where most of us are gonna have a REALLY hard time.  The US just doesn't make much.  More so electronics than clothing, but still. 

Guen  ~:)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: July 02, 2007, 12:26:11 pm »

There are some things, like my Green and White teas that I'm just going to have to concede on, though.  but I have reveled in the fact that food storage options are easy. 

Probably depends on how attached to a particular brand of tea you are...  I've had some really yummy Japanese green teas.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 02, 2007, 12:41:03 pm »

Probably depends on how attached to a particular brand of tea you are...  I've had some really yummy Japanese green teas.  Smiley

I thought most tea was grown in India, anyway...?

I take it that was a wrong assumption.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: July 02, 2007, 12:58:51 pm »

I thought most tea was grown in India, anyway...?

India is a major tea-producer, but IIRC there are other areas of the world where it's grown and processed too.  (China is another major one.)

I admit I don't have much specific knowledge here, though, just a sort of general fuzziness, so maybe someone who knows more will help us out...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)