The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 12:20:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 12:20:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for general health/wellness?  (Read 9022 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 30, 2007, 01:31:09 pm »

What little secrets do you have for keeping yourself well?  Physical or mental wellness, dealing with diet, exercise, hygiene, meditation techniques, it doesn't matter.  Share what works for you, and maybe someone else can benefit. Smiley

Namaste.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 30, 2007, 01:37:20 pm »

What little secrets do you have for keeping yourself well?  Physical or mental wellness, dealing with diet, exercise, hygiene, meditation techniques, it doesn't matter.  Share what works for you, and maybe someone else can benefit. Smiley

In massage school, I had to learn a lot about the integumentary system - aka, the skin.  It is intensely complicated, and also our FIRST line of defense against disease.  So, over time, I changed my habits:

• I exfoliate daily, just before showering.
  • In the shower, instead of lathering myself head to toe, I only lather the stinky spots and my face.
  • Changing soaps has ended the drying - I now use Dr. Bronner's oil soaps.
  • I drink copious amounts of water during the day.

And voilá; I rarely have more than a sniffle, in any weather.  Last Christmas I had dinner with my supervisor and her family, even though she and her sister were both fairly ill.  And I played Monopoly with them for a couple of hours.  Never even sniffled. Wink

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: June 30, 2007, 02:30:57 pm »

I have a fairly sedentary job (computer programmer), so to keep active (and keep my eyes and hands from straining too much) I make sure to get up and walk up and down the hallway at least once an hour.  I have a timer to help remind me.  I also try to at least stand up and stretch once every half-hour, but sometimes I miss that one.

At home, when talking on the phone, I don't sit down; I pace around.  I intentionally take multiple trips to do a task sometimes (for instance, putting dishes away or something like that).  I generally try to look for little ways like this to increase my activity level without feeling like it's so much "work".

That said, I also make sure I'm not always on my feet if I can help it, but rather getting a good balance of rest and activity.  Smiley  I also have a set bedtime, and I try to be sitting down relaxing and not doing much of anything 30-60 minutes before it so that I'm more likely to fall asleep right away.  In addition, I do not allow myself to think about "serious stuff" that will keep me awake once I'm in bed.  If my brain starts off on that track, I distract it with fluff.  Smiley

I try to eat healthy, but I know I'm going to cheat, so I build "cheats" into my diet.  I find if I allow for it instead of trying to repress it, it's easier to control.  So for instance I bring a couple of cookies to work with me (those 100-calorie packs are great for this) and have them mid-morning with some tea, and that reduces the temptation to stuff my face with a candy bar or two later.  I also try to bring healthy snacks with me to work, because if I have something healthy at hand I'm less likely to go for the candy bar despite having already had the cookies.

I have a personal water dispenser on my desk at work that holds 8 8oz cups.  Smiley  It makes it easier to get my daily water in, because it's right there.  At home, I try to keep a cup of water or tea close at hand for the same reason.  I also drink a large glass of cold water first thing in the morning--I don't know why but it seems to help get the day started right.

I do keep an eye on my diet and how much I'm eating, but I don't obsess over it.  I don't count my calories every day.  I've found that focusing on it too much only makes me feel worse when I do screw up.  Which is going to happen, on account of my being human and all.

If I do screw up on something health- or diet-related, I try not to stress about it.  It won't change what's been done, and it will only raise my blood pressure (which is a teensy bit high even for a preggy lady right now, so I need to watch it) not to mention making me feel bad emotionally (and who needs to add to the mood swings with self-inflicted guilt).  I just sigh and try to do better next time.

I think that's all I can think of right now.  Grin

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: June 30, 2007, 02:53:21 pm »

I think that's all I can think of right now.  Grin

Wait, I did forget one.  Hair.  Mine is pretty long, and the ends tend to dry out really easily (probably 'cause they're so far from the oil glands in my scalp).  So I only shampoo down as far as my ears to keep from stripping those oils out of the ends too much (and only condition the last few inches, 'cause that's all that really needs it).  I also try to use hair care products that don't contain Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate, which strips those oils out even worse.  (Unfortunately, that usually means all-natural or organic brands, which gets expensive.)  And I don't wash my hair every day; I go for about every 2-3 days, although if the roots aren't too oily at the end of day 3 I might even stretch it into a fourth.  I actually find my hair doesn't look that great the first day.  It hits its peak in the second day or so.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 30, 2007, 06:13:37 pm »

Namaste.

Not only because i'm a fair skinned, redheaded irish lassie:p..i never stay out in the sun unprotected! And my skin is always clear and supple,especially since I drink plenty of water. I always moisturize and I always take at least a half hour to relax every day.stress can easily land you in the hospital if not kill you, as in my mom and her ulcer that was almost fatal.

Whether it's meditation, reading, or whatever you enjoy.mine is spacing out at work during my break, it restores me,lol......in this wjirl wind life i think we all need a lil slow down each day.

For general health, at least once when you feel like yelling.give someone a hug instead or a kind word or something to laugh about. Little things can go so far:)

Bright Blessings

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 30, 2007, 08:36:35 pm »

For general health, at least once when you feel like yelling.give someone a hug instead or a kind word or something to laugh about.

I learned that by accident.  The yell-ee and I actually became friends for a while.

Sometimes all they need is a hug; we don't have to understand why, it just is.  And always worth the effort.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 30, 2007, 08:39:27 pm »

I also drink a large glass of cold water first thing in the morning--I don't know why but it seems to help get the day started right.

After living in the desert, I have to admit that there is something Magical about a cool drink of water.  It belongs in us, and when we open ourselves up to the sensation, it feels great.  Fulfilling and refreshing.  I drink water all day, though when it's 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity, it is easy to fall behind.

MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 01, 2007, 02:22:31 am »

Some of the things I believe keep me healthy are admittedly a bit wonky, but I love these types of conversations so here are mine:

Fresh air - I open as many windows as possible as often as possible. I love the smell of fresh air and it makes me feel better.

Real/Natural foods as opposed to fake versions - I refuse to eat margarine instead of butter, artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, I do my best to buy as few canned or bagged items as possible, etc. My friends and family makes fun of me and call me June Cleaver sometimes for multiple reasons, but this is one of them. I'm lucky that no one in my house has any allergies/conditions that would cause us to change, but for now I firmly believe that the closer to natural the food, the better. I won't count calories and I won't substitute. If I want a soda (totally not natural) I drink real soda, not diet. My rational - I'll enjoy it more and be satisfied with one.

Skin care - I have super dry and sensitive skin so when I shower I don't wash my face and I only soap the parts that need soaping. I exfoliate 2 or 3 times a week and moisturize like crazy. I've got more lotions than Carter's got pills (no one says that anymore but it's all I can think of right now). When my face was really dry I actually used a mixture of grapeseed, almond and essential oils to remove my makeup. Now I take my makeup off with a warm washcloth - what little I wear. The older I get, the less I fuss with my appearance. I'm learning to poke and prod less and less at myself.

I'll agree with everyone on the water. I do really well with drinking it in the warmer months, but have a heck of a time with it when it's cold. I'm  addicted to hot tea and in the winter I just can't tear myself away from my million cups of hot tea. I just can't get all that water in me when it's cold and wet outside.

Then I also take time every day to focus on my chakras and strengthening my aura. I believe that affects my health positively. I also try to make time to do something just for fun. If I get down I have a tendency to get sick easier.

Melanie
MelanieS
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: July 01, 2007, 02:40:14 am »

For general health, at least once when you feel like yelling.give someone a hug instead or a kind word or something to laugh about. Little things can go so far:)

I do something similar with my husband - when I'm really furious with him (usually over something like leaving socks on the floor) instead of yelling at him or giving him the cold shoulder, I do so something sweet for him. Usually it's something fairly cheesy or goofy. It works because if I'm in the kind of mood where I'm likely to get angry I've probably been not so nice to him for a day or two already and he probably deserves something kind.

Melanie
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 01, 2007, 06:11:57 am »

Namaste.

I must be doing *something* right, because I rarely get sick or feel out-of-whack ... that said, I don't make a whole lot of conscious effort to do healthy things. I don't go to the gym, I don't take supplements and I don't follow a diet plan besides "good food". (I may be lucky in this because my idea of good food was heavily influenced by my mom's home cooking = from scratch with lots of spices and veggies).

- I mostly do my own cooking, so I can make just the amount I need. A "serving of meat" is 4oz. to me.
- I do need to watch my blood sugar, going too long between meals gives me headaches. So I always carry hard candies, and schedule snacks at work.
- I can't do that "8 glasses of water" thing, all it does is make me pee more.
- I never wear makeup or use conditioner or hairspray ... in fact I don't even wash my face (just rub it with a damp towel). And I have a perfect complexion.
- If I have time, I walk somewhere instead of taking the subway. (No car, no bike.)
- One thing I should be more careful of is heatstroke; I often run around without a hat in summer. But I know a good fix: running cold water over my forearms and running wet fingers through my hair to cool my scalp. Plus a few minutes sitting quietly, works like a charm.
- for mental health, one thing I do is get myself treats for no reason -- keeps my scrooge mind from making me miserable.
-Oh yeah, and regular, uh, "exercise", if you know what I mean.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: July 01, 2007, 08:26:33 am »

Real/Natural foods as opposed to fake versions - I refuse to eat margarine instead of butter, artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, I do my best to buy as few canned or bagged items as possible, etc. My friends and family makes fun of me and call me June Cleaver sometimes for multiple reasons, but this is one of them. I'm lucky that no one in my house has any allergies/conditions that would cause us to change, but for now I firmly believe that the closer to natural the food, the better. I won't count calories and I won't substitute. If I want a soda (totally not natural) I drink real soda, not diet. My rational - I'll enjoy it more and be satisfied with one.

I go with most of that too, although I do count calories (though, as I said, not constantly).  I've found that if I don't at least do spot-checks here and there, I wind up either eating way more than I should or way less than I should on a regular basis, both of which lead to their own problems.  (I dunno, my internal food-meter is just broken somehow.)  I just don't substitute artificial sweeteners and margarine and stuff to lower the calorie count.  Cheesy

I do make two regular exceptions on the canned items:  beans and tomatoes.  I don't often have the time to do dry beans from scratch, and when I can't get fresh out of Mom's garden or from the Farmer's Market, canned tomatoes are more ripe and flavorful than fresh (because the fresh ones are picked a little green so that they can survive transit and though the color develops more, the flavor never does).  But I get those as natural and low-sodium as I can.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: July 01, 2007, 08:44:38 am »

- I mostly do my own cooking, so I can make just the amount I need. A "serving of meat" is 4oz. to me.

Yeah, there's that too.  I don't eat a whole lot of meat anymore; I just don't find I need to.  I get plenty of protein from smaller, less frequent servings and non-meat proteins (usually beans).  I just generally eat smaller portion sizes of most things, too. 

And I also schedule snacks at work (I don't have an actual blood sugar problem, I don't think, but I get cranky and/or weepy if I go too long without food).  Actually my lunch itself usually isn't that big, because I wind up doing something like...  I'll have some dried fruit and some carrots (at 2 separate times) in the morning, then lunch will be a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, then I'll have some fresh fruit and cheese and crackers (again at separate times) in the afternoon, that kind of thing.  I like to spread my food out over the day.  Smiley

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

MelanieS
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 01, 2007, 11:19:02 am »

I do make two regular exceptions on the canned items:  beans and tomatoes.  I don't often have the time to do dry beans from scratch, and when I can't get fresh out of Mom's garden or from the Farmer's Market, canned tomatoes are more ripe and flavorful than fresh (because the fresh ones are picked a little green so that they can survive transit and though the color develops more, the flavor never does).  But I get those as natural and low-sodium as I can.

Beans and tomatoes are my exceptions too. I can't get the taste on tomatoes either, and on beans it's that I overestimate what I'm going to do with them and they end up in the back of my fridge. I've been trying to plan better so that I can do fresh beans because my daughter is a meat hater and beans is one of the things I try to make sure she gets plenty of.

I've long since wanted to get into canning but the time, the space, the effort have all kept me back. I should probably look into it as I'd feel better about opening a can of something I canned myself.

Melanie
MelanieS
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 01, 2007, 11:50:20 am »

- I do need to watch my blood sugar, going too long between meals gives me headaches. So I always carry hard candies, and schedule snacks at work.

This strikes me -

It may be just me, I don't have an official blood sugar problem. When I was a child there were concerns they thought at first were a heart problem but when that was ruled out my doctor told my parents to take me off all sugar and I grew up pretty much without it. Since I was old enough to make my own eating choices I noticed that if I was going to feel good I just couldn't eat sugar or anything that metabolizes as sugar very often. So that's my own food bias.

When my husband is out of town (which used to be a lot), I tend to graze instead of eating regular meals. I'll eat little meals and snacks instead of 3 larger meals. I also will make a meal of something like cheese, fruit and veggies instead of the traditional meat, starch, and veggie. Of course, I'm pretty sure the smaller, more frequent meals is considered healthier than 3 traditional meals, but I've always just done it naturally. I wonder if I do this because of something instinctual with my blood sugar weirdness or if it's just my personal preference.

Melanie   
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: July 01, 2007, 12:31:20 pm »

I've long since wanted to get into canning but the time, the space, the effort have all kept me back. I should probably look into it as I'd feel better about opening a can of something I canned myself.

Oh yeah.  I figure if my mom, who much prefers prepackaged meals and stuff and takes shortcuts wherever possible, can do the canning thing then so can I.  But we don't have a lot of space for storing the equipment, and time is an issue, and it's one of those things that seems like this huge project, which is daunting too.  Sad  One of these days...

(A thought has just occurred to me about the beans.  I've done other "long slow simmer" things in my crockpot.  I wonder if beans would work there too?  If so that would solve the time issue for me since I could just stick 'em in and leave 'em while I'm at work or something.  And it would be cheaper and even lower sodium (though the canned brand we use is very low anyway).  This requires investigation...)

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)