The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 01:25:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 01:25:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for general health/wellness?  (Read 9023 times)
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 01, 2007, 12:49:20 pm »

(A thought has just occurred to me about the beans.  I've done other "long slow simmer" things in my crockpot.  I wonder if beans would work there too?  If so that would solve the time issue for me since I could just stick 'em in and leave 'em while I'm at work or something.  And it would be cheaper and even lower sodium (though the canned brand we use is very low anyway).  This requires investigation...)

I've actually cooked dried beans (without soaking), dried lentils and dried whole barely in a slow cooker with some success. It's really just tricky to get the amount of water right (still working on it myself) so the beans don't come out too mushy or burn. I cook them on the low setting, haven't tried the high setting yet. Good luck.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 01, 2007, 12:58:03 pm »

What little secrets do you have for keeping yourself well?  Physical or mental wellness, dealing with diet, exercise, hygiene, meditation techniques, it doesn't matter.  Share what works for you, and maybe someone else can benefit. Smiley

Sleep every chance you get. I've taken naps in hotel lobbies on my lunch break and they've been life-savers. Even just closing my eyes in a dim room for 15 minutes can be a great recharge.

MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: July 01, 2007, 01:22:48 pm »

I've actually cooked dried beans (without soaking), dried lentils and dried whole barely in a slow cooker with some success. It's really just tricky to get the amount of water right (still working on it myself) so the beans don't come out too mushy or burn. I cook them on the low setting, haven't tried the high setting yet. Good luck.

According to my crock pot manual, dry beans should be boiled for 10 minutes then transferred to the crock pot (drained and add fresh water) and cooked for 1 1/2 hours on low. It doesn't give specifics on how much water. This isn't too helpful if you want to let the beans cook all day while at work.

But maybe it's the water that makes them mushy and not cooking time. My experience with the crock pot is that you can let things cook much longer - but beans could be the exception. I'm going to experiment with this cause I know for a fact beans can sit on the stove (covered) for hours.

Melanie
ShadowcatCM
Adept Member
Last Login:July 16, 2009, 05:14:58 pm

Religion: witchy Pagan - quite eclectic

Every action, even inaction, affects someone.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: July 01, 2007, 02:59:44 pm »

What little secrets do you have for keeping yourself well?  Physical or mental wellness, dealing with diet, exercise, hygiene, meditation techniques, it doesn't matter.  Share what works for you, and maybe someone else can benefit. Smiley

Namaste.

Star mentioned hair, so I'll start with that.

I don't shampoo very often. For a very good reason - my scalp itches like crazy for one or two days after shampooing. Seems I'm allergic to something - either something in that the air that the naturally-produced scalp oil blocks, or something in the shampoo itself. So I shampoo only about once a week - if that. I rarely have problems with my hair nowadays, whereas when I was much younger and my parents made me shower every day, I had a lot of problems because the oil was removed every day. My hair gets REALLY dry also right after shampooing, so...

I don't use hairspray or anything like that, just shampoo and conditioner. (The conditioner is a must - If I don't use a good one, my hair tangles up worse than tumbleweeds.)

Star, thanks for the tip about lauryl sulfate, my shampoo has it. I will have to try a different brand and see what happens.

Skin... let's see... I don't use makeups or even zit medicines. Pretty much all I do is occassionally wash my face with warm water, or use pure aloe-vera gel for sunburns. I use a petroleum-free lip balm in winter. That's it. (Okay, I also take a hot bath every day, hahaha.) I'm well aware of the biological defense on human skin - that is, the line of good bacteria that keeps out the bad bacteria. So I rarely use antibacterial soap. I use a biodegradable non-antibacterial soap. Let's just say, I suffer far fewer sinus infections and am able to fight off the infections on my own most of the time. (pats the little invisible bacteria and says, "good little buggers".)

Water - like a lot of people, I drink a lot of cold water, particularly in summer. I also eat a lot of ice chips - I'm addicted to ice chips. It's a good alternative for getting water into your body when you're not all that thirsty. I don't drink 8 8 oz. glasses of water a day, though - that's crazy unless you're hiking up Mount Everest. What most people don't realize is there's water in their food, so they're already taking in a lot of water. For instance, pasta and rice, the things are, what, 50% water? Yeah.

Food... I have the unfortunate luck to be an extremely picky eater. So I don't eat..., healthy, by anyone's standards. I do make sure that I eat a lot of grains, and get some chicken meat every week, and fruits. I also eat a lot of potatoes. Tongue I eat a bit too much sugar, still working on that one...

Exercise - it's hard to get me out of the house to walk or ride my bike or anything, but once I've exercised, I do feel healthier, a bit more fit, y'know? Inside the house, my room is on the second floor, so in any given day, I've had to do some stair-walking at least ten times. (Relatively good for someone with climacophobia - fear of falling downstairs.)

Mental Health - I don't stress overmuch, and when I do, I always dive into the tub for a nice relaxing bath, usually accompanied by a very good book or daydreaming. I developed the ability to "force" daydreams, so I can pretty much do it anytime. I make sure that I get a good amount of sleep every night (not easy with insomnia), and I meditate, either on my bed or in the bathtub. I also play computer games - it's a very good way to get your mind off of things, and I always try to get in a hour or two every day of that. Most mornings, I'll also play with my cats, and Thunder almost always asks for a hand-grooming at that time, and that's fairly relaxing.

I can't think of anything more right now.

Shadowcat

Shadowcat Cloudmoon
Chat Host at The Cauldron
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: July 01, 2007, 07:28:30 pm »

Sleep every chance you get. I've taken naps in hotel lobbies on my lunch break and they've been life-savers. Even just closing my eyes in a dim room for 15 minutes can be a great recharge.
I'm not a napper myself (my system just doesn't work that way), but I'll agree that sleep is important here - determining how much your body needs (best, know both what its minimum is, and what its optimum is), and making sure you get it.

I just noticed your avatar, BTW, and I love it!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 01, 2007, 08:01:39 pm »

According to my crock pot manual, dry beans should be boiled for 10 minutes then transferred to the crock pot (drained and add fresh water) and cooked for 1 1/2 hours on low. It doesn't give specifics on how much water. This isn't too helpful if you want to let the beans cook all day while at work.

But maybe it's the water that makes them mushy and not cooking time. My experience with the crock pot is that you can let things cook much longer - but beans could be the exception. I'm going to experiment with this cause I know for a fact beans can sit on the stove (covered) for hours.

Melanie

My book mentioned nothing on cooking beans, so I mostly winged it. But I'll definitely try what your book says and see if I don't get better results! Thanks for sharing!

I just noticed your avatar, BTW, and I love it!

Sunflower

Aw, thanks! Wish I created the picture for it, but it was just so cute.  Cheesy

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 01, 2007, 09:32:54 pm »

I don't often have the time to do dry beans from scratch

If I am making chili, it is very simple: I wish to take the moisture out of the pureéd tomatoes; and add moisture to the beans.

Add the beans to the tomatoes, over flame/heat.

Works in an hour or less! Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: July 02, 2007, 03:35:19 am »

Aw, thanks! Wish I created the picture for it, but it was just so cute.

I've been noticing your avatar too.  It looks just like 2 of my 8 cats.  Smudge is the dilute calico, and Lola is the tortie.  And, yes, they do the yin-yang cuddle all the time.  Sometimes their sister, Roxie (standard calico) joins them, so the whole calico spectrum is represented.  Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 02, 2007, 05:38:44 am »

I'm not a napper myself (my system just doesn't work that way), but I'll agree that sleep is important here - determining how much your body needs (best, know both what its minimum is, and what its optimum is), and making sure you get it.

Definitely second the sleep thing. I get real cranky if I get less than 8 hours and/or go to bed after midnight ...
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: July 02, 2007, 12:10:33 pm »

I don't often have the time to do dry beans from scratch

Get yourself a crock pot.  Soak the beans in the crock pot overnight, strain them (just use the lid of the pot itself, top off with boiling water, salt, and seasonings.  Then just turn it on low and let it cook for 12 to 24 hours.  Easier than packaged mac 'n' cheese.

Brina
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #25: July 02, 2007, 12:21:05 pm »

Get yourself a crock pot.  Soak the beans in the crock pot overnight, strain them (just use the lid of the pot itself, top off with boiling water, salt, and seasonings.  Then just turn it on low and let it cook for 12 to 24 hours.  Easier than packaged mac 'n' cheese.

Thanks!  That sounds like exactly what I was looking for.  I'll have to try that next week.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: July 03, 2007, 07:08:33 pm »

This is the sort of question I can never answer "cold"; I have to see it posted so I have it in mind, then gradually be reminded of stuff.

I just thought of another one (thanks to Celtee, Andy, and Steve's byplay):  Laugh.  Laugh whenever you can, cultivate laughing if you need to.  It doesn't have to be out loud.  Seek out things that make you laugh; see the funny in places where it's not obvious.  Laugh even when it hurts - heck, laugh especially when it hurts.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: July 03, 2007, 08:53:01 pm »

This is the sort of question I can never answer "cold"; I have to see it posted so I have it in mind, then gradually be reminded of stuff.

I just thought of another one (thanks to Celtee, Andy, and Steve's byplay):  Laugh.  Laugh whenever you can, cultivate laughing if you need to.  It doesn't have to be out loud.  Seek out things that make you laugh; see the funny in places where it's not obvious.  Laugh even when it hurts - heck, laugh especially when it hurts.

Sunflower

FUNNY you should mention that...

We had a mare experience choke yesterday (the same as June, but not as severe - in fact is was her daughter) and so she was in for the day/night, and was turned out in a paddock today.

So along comes WH and the manager; the latter hooks on to the mare, and I hooked on to the foal.  Or tried to.  Briefly.

At one point, the *^%@*^$*@^$* colt twisted around a FLUNG me off his back into a big big pile of shyte! Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Sister, I was laughing before I hit the ground! Cheesy

And I smell funny, too.

We'll get some manners on him in time.

It was a wonderful day.  Long, complicated, the manager was pissed at me, but ya know what?

No one shot at me today.

And yes, I laugh especially when it hurts. Wink

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: July 08, 2007, 08:06:53 am »

If I am making chili, it is very simple: I wish to take the moisture out of the pureéd tomatoes; and add moisture to the beans.

Add the beans to the tomatoes, over flame/heat.

Works in an hour or less! Smiley

I'll start with the bean thing, since that's my new health innovation: my Anti-Cancer Carbs--

1/2 cup lentils
2 cans tomato sauce
lots of raw broccoli
1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced

Throw it all in a pot and simmer over low heat, covered, for 1/2 an hour, stirring occasionally. (I tend to put the broccoli in last, maybe 10 minutes into the cooking process, so that it retains a bit of firmness and doesn't cook down as much.)

That's it! It makes 3-5 servings, it's fast, it tastes delicious, and it keeps for at least a week. I used this for my carbs instead of breadstuffs and watched my waistline shrink fabulously fast. Best of all, the tomato/broccoli combo is supposed to be boffo for cancer prevention. Also, I've always been a proponent of fresh garlic as a general boost to health, but I fear the social stigma of the smell; the tomato acts to neutralize the garlic odor, while the garlic gives the concoction a tangy bite.

OTHER DIET TIPS:

Things I eat almost every day:
Yogurt
Chocolate (the darker, the better)...in moderation
a glass of red wine (cardiovascular health, prostate cancer prevention)

My daily fix of the first two usually comes from my protein shake: 2 scoops Designer Whey chocolate protein powder, a heaping teaspoon of unsweetened Hershey's cocoa, 1 8-oz yogurt (usually raspberry or cherry), and about 1/2 cup of water in a blender. Creamy, chocolaty goodness.

Things that show up in my diet often:
Oatmeal
Baked sweet potato (always right after the gym)

All of which is part of a generally high-protein, moderate-fat, low-carb diet. I eat 5-6 meals a day, none of them huge, with no snacking in between, but that's because I'm insane about bodybuilding...though they do say that's supposed to be the best way to eat.

Like others, I drink water. TONS of it. On average, I'd say 10-12 8-oz glasses a day. Soft drinks and any other beverage with added sugar was long ago exiled from my diet, except for the occasional lemonade in summer.

EXERCISE:

I take a 3-pronged approach: weight-training, aerobics, and flexibility.

I train heavy with weights at the gym an average of 4 to 4.5 times a week. Usually 2 days at the gym followed by a day off. This is the key to aging well, IMHO: more muscle burns more fat even when you're not using it; the hormones your body produces in response to a heavy-weight workout are essential to physical and mental robustness; weight training keeps the bones strong.

Usually on the non-gym days, I do a 45-minute run.

Flexibility is where I fall down. I'll do stretching at the gym maybe 50% of the time, for about 10 minutes before I tear into the weights. But ideally, I'd probably do yoga or somesuch...but who's got the time for that on top of the rest of the exercise regimen, let alone the cash?

SLEEP

This is also where I fall down. I pop awake not long after dawn, no matter how late I went to bed the night before, and as soon as I'm up, I'm wide awake. So I never get enough sleep.

I LOVE to take naps, but don't often get the chance. Around 2 or 3 PM, my body really tries to shut down, so sometimes I'll take my lunch hour late, close the door to my office, and catch some Zzzs.

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: July 08, 2007, 08:12:41 am »

Usually on the non-gym days, I do a 45-minute run.

I forgot to mention, I get a fair amount of exercise just in the course of the day: I bike to and from work; I live in a fifth-floor apartment of a walk-up building, so there's the daily stairs; and since I live in Manhattan where most of us don't own cars, I walk a lot.

The other thing I forgot to mention is my daily meditation. I do it every day without fail, except during the spring songbird migration (basically the month of May), when I'm walking for hours in the morning in natural settings, so that's my meditation substitute.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)