The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 18, 2019, 05:19:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 05:19:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ritual for Reaching out to Deity  (Read 2557 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 30, 2007, 06:35:20 pm »

I'm looking for brainstorming ideas.

I don't really like rituals -- or, at least, not the ones I've done or been part of so far.  However, on some thread recently (or maybe it was one of the CR lists) someone talked about using ritual to "get the attention of the gods" or something like that.

That idea intrigued me, and I was wondering if people have thoughts about that and ideas for how to go about using ritual aas a way of reaching out to connect to deity.

Thanks.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: July 01, 2007, 12:05:57 am »

That idea intrigued me, and I was wondering if people have thoughts about that and ideas for how to go about using ritual aas a way of reaching out to connect to deity.

I've definitely done this before - in fact, it's how I first reached out to the deities I was devoted to.  (Except with Hekate, actually - my first ritual for Her was a little different.  It was also my first "polytheistic" ritual.)

Awhile back I came across a ritual for introducing oneself to a deity.  It was on a site that's unfortunately not up anymore.  It was Wiccish, so probably not what you're looking for.  But the basic idea might be helpful.

Basically, you learn about the deity and what They like, and make an offering, stating that you'd like to introduce yourself.  Then see what happens.  Smiley  Simple and respectful.

(When I introduced myself to Djehuty, I asked Him beforehand if it would be okay to do so.  Which ended up with me feeling his presence - at work, no less - before we'd been formally introduced

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: July 01, 2007, 01:05:04 am »

Basically, you learn about the deity and what They like, and make an offering, stating that you'd like to introduce yourself.  Then see what happens.  Smiley  Simple and respectful.

Hmmmm.

I don't think I'm really looking for a way to *introduce* myself -- since I already have a relationship with Brighid.  This is more about reaching out to get closer and communicate more easily.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #3: July 01, 2007, 05:11:12 am »

Hmmmm.

I don't think I'm really looking for a way to *introduce* myself -- since I already have a relationship with Brighid.  This is more about reaching out to get closer and communicate more easily.

How about creating an inner place for this purpose?
Like one creates an inner powerplace and journey there whenever need be.

But in that case I'd create something that is not used in other meditations/journeys.

Like...I don't know...as an entrance something celtic like a cairn and on the other side of that anything that you'll see fit for the goddess as a temple.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: July 01, 2007, 11:01:14 am »

How about creating an inner place for this purpose?
Like one creates an inner powerplace and journey there whenever need be.

But in that case I'd create something that is not used in other meditations/journeys.

Like...I don't know...as an entrance something celtic like a cairn and on the other side of that anything that you'll see fit for the goddess as a temple.

Interesting idea.  I'll give it some thought.  And figure out if my meditation skills are up to snuff... Wink

Thanks.

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 01, 2007, 01:07:24 pm »

Oh, oops!  Hmmm.  That one I'm working on myself, and I don't really have any good ideas.  Thinking of what Mari posted about the gods wanting to be our friends helps a little.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: July 01, 2007, 03:35:55 pm »

Oh, oops!  Hmmm.  That one I'm working on myself, and I don't really have any good ideas.  Thinking of what Mari posted about the gods wanting to be our friends helps a little.

I'm thinking about using stones (specific ones) and my special pendulum to help me set up myself to be in a different "space" and, hopefully, better able to "reach" Brighid.  Sort of a way to focus on what I'm doing -- much like the idea behind ritual tools like the wand and athame (at least as I understand it).

I'm going to experiment and see what happens.

Still very open to other ideas, though... Cheesy

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 04, 2007, 03:11:25 pm »

I'm thinking about using stones (specific ones) and my special pendulum to help me set up myself to be in a different "space" and, hopefully, better able to "reach" Brighid.

That sounds interesting - I'm curious about how it goes and what stones you use.

I've found that lighting Brighid's flame and putting on the associated jewelry helps me reach Her easily.  But I know you already do that...

During the shift I consecrated a triskele pendant (that I had lost for a while and recently found) to Her - it's for the days I'm not 'Keeping, if I want to wear something for Her.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: July 04, 2007, 06:26:28 pm »

That sounds interesting - I'm curious about how it goes and what stones you use.

I've found that lighting Brighid's flame and putting on the associated jewelry helps me reach Her easily.  But I know you already do that...

During the shift I consecrated a triskele pendant (that I had lost for a while and recently found) to Her - it's for the days I'm not 'Keeping, if I want to wear something for Her.

Yes, I have several pieces of jewelry that I wear all the time to honor Brighid and to help me stay mindful.  The first piece is this one:  http://tinyurl.com/2scjat .  My husband gave it to me the night before my hysterectomy, and I immediately dedicated it to Brighid.

The next jewelry thing I did was make earrings that were only for wearing during flamekeeping shifts, again, to help keep me mindful.  They're blue labrodorite on the bottom (for the blue base of the flame), then a fire opal (for the main body of the flame), then a citrine bead on top for the golden aura generated by the flame):  http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/moonivy53/?action=view&current=BrighidJewelry107.jpg

Then, I added the pendant Thesaly made for me, to my design:  http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/moonivy53/?action=view&current=pendant003.jpg

Next was the pendulum Thesaly made for me, also to my design:  http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/moonivy53/?action=view&current=BrighidJewelry110.jpg .  This is uber-cool because the pendulum itself detaches, so I can wear it on a chain as a pendant.  Then the chain part can be a bracelet, with the charm on it.

I recently found some amber that also puts me in mind of Brighid: http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/moonivy53/?action=view&current=BrighidJewelry112.jpg .  It's like little pieces of the sun, set in jewelry.  I've been wearing the charm on the pendulum bracelet (but I take it off when I use the pendulum as a pendulum so the balance isn't affected), and the earrings are for very special flamekeeping shifts or other special occasions.

As far as the "reaching out" ritual goes, I'm still in the process of collecting the specific stones I want -- but I should have them in the next week or so.  I'm researching and choosing them carefully for their properties and the way they *feel*, and trying to make sure their energies work together the way I want them to.  Primarily, it's designed to help open me up to "other" communication.  In a simple ritual format, I'll try to direct that toward Brighid.

I'm planning to use:  angelite (which is the stone I found on the ground that day a couple of months ago when I was begging Brighid for some sign that she's real; I finally identified it), prehnite, nuummite, labrodorite, pietersite, chiastolite, celestite, seraphinite, and sunstone.  9 seemed like the right number to use.   Wink

I made a "meditation necklace" yesterday evening, using seraphinite and amethyst beads.  I intended to only wear it for meditation, but I can't seem to take it off.   Cheesy  I'll be adding a simple morganite pendant to it, when it arrives.

In addition to that, lately I've been wearing a piece of petalite and carrying -- among other stones -- the piece of prehnite.  I think they're helping to open me up.  I'm starting to have what I think are clairvoyant occurrences.  I keep "seeing" a man standing near the door of my bedroom -- and don't know who (or Who, which would be really scary) he is. 

And the other night, I very clearly saw a black something about the size of a large rat move horizontally along the wall about 3 feet above the floor.  It went from my closet door to behind the TV.  Of course, when I looked behind the TV, there was nothing there.

So, if this is happening with just the stones and intentions I currently have, I wonder what will happen when I have everything in place...

I'll keep you posted.

RebDog
Journeyman
Last Login:December 10, 2007, 12:02:44 pm

Religion: Northern Tradition/claimed by Odin

Knowest thou how to ask? offer? send? sacrifice?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 07, 2007, 03:33:05 pm »

Hmmmm.

I've always had my experiences thru dreams (in which the Odin had called a warning upon me or sent me some insight for some particular reason) but I've had no control over this but had noticed the attraction towards more communication came from what I was doing in the hours directly before I went to sleep and also what colors I had been wearing that day. Apparently my deities are watching over me longer than I'm even aware of. My only assessment of this is that they are making sure that nothing will interfere with their interactions with me, although there could be other reasons.

Btw, the amber is lovely...  I have seen this as a very favored ornament in many many dreams! I am also considering use of meditation but not sure what type yet. An ex (hindu) used this frequently but I was turned off it after noticing his negative personality/perhaps his own doings...   

Strong is the beam that raised must be
To give an entrance to all;
Give it a ring, or grim will be
The wish it would work on thee.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)