The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 10:01:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 10:01:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: After 101 books  (Read 15379 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: July 01, 2007, 12:56:34 pm »

I'm beginning to be bored with 101 books, so where do I go from there? What would be a good second step? Any suggestions will be aprreciated!  Wink

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #1: July 01, 2007, 01:14:26 pm »

I'm beginning to be bored with 101 books, so where do I go from there? What would be a good second step? Any suggestions will be aprreciated!  Wink

Well, that depends: where do you want to go? If you're looking to go beyond 101, that usually means you're going to have to get more specific. On a 101 level, you can do a general overview, but beyond that level, if you don't specialize, it's going to get overwhelming. So pick something that interests you, and start looking for good information about that.

--Chabas
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #2: July 01, 2007, 01:19:25 pm »

I agree with Chabas. Find an area you're curious about and look into that next. If you're into magick, then start with books on magick theory and practice (Donald Kraig's "Modern Magick" comes to mind). Herbs? Find books on herb use in magic and in medicinal arenas. Mythology? Pick up some books on the myths in your particular pantheon - and others. That's what I did when I hit the wall with 101 books! Just branch out and expand your learning into other areas!  Smiley The book reviews here might be of some help to you in your search.

Good luck!
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 01, 2007, 03:46:30 pm »

[/quote]
Find an area you're curious about and look into that next.

I guess I'm mostly interested in magic at the moment. Is there a book about magic that you know of that has kitchen-witch type spells? Those will probably be best for me, seeing as I'm in the broomcloset.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
TribalCat
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2008, 11:50:33 pm

Religion: Solitary Shamanic Witch/Seeker on the White Lotus Path

*** Mrrowr!***

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 01, 2007, 11:50:40 pm »

I guess I'm mostly interested in magic at the moment. Is there a book about magic that you know of that has kitchen-witch type spells? Those will probably be best for me, seeing as I'm in the broomcloset.

Ellen Dugan's books, "Cottage Witchery", "Garden Witchery", and "Natural Witchery" are easy reads and have a lot of kitchen witchery type spells.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." ~ Albus Dumbledore
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #5: July 02, 2007, 04:01:28 am »

Is there a book about magic that you know of that has kitchen-witch type spells? Those will probably be best for me, seeing as I'm in the broomcloset.

Not necessarily a spell-book, but A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook by Patricia Telesco is full of good recipes and Kitchen Witchery stuff. (It's my own personal holy book. LOL.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Chaliceocean
Master Member
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 06:02:20 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Perfect Love,Perfect Trust)O(

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: July 02, 2007, 06:10:41 pm »

Not necessarily a spell-book, but A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook by Patricia Telesco is full of good recipes and Kitchen Witchery stuff. (It's my own personal holy book. LOL.)

I'll have to pick that up myself! I love my Cottage Witchery book myself, i'm enamored with it.

Bright Blessings

~Dont believe in anything simply because you have heard it, simply because it's spoken and rumored by many, simply because it is found written in your religious books, in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, in traditions becuase they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis,when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.~*~Buddha~*~
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #7: July 03, 2007, 06:13:00 am »

I'll have to pick that up myself! I love my Cottage Witchery book myself, i'm enamored with it.

I have that one as well; I had a choice between Cottage and Garden and went with Cottage. (Kind of silly in retrospect--my garden's "up-and-running", as it were, and my cottage is still in the process of being totally re-built.) Actually, this thread is making me want to read it some more. *runs off to read*

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: July 03, 2007, 06:14:35 am »

Frankly in my opinion, aside from researhcing specific topics, the main way to go after 101 books is...to *do*.  Find out what works in practice, and what always goes wrong.  Depending on the path, I'd also recommend experimentation.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Sunny Dawn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2007, 02:48:31 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 03, 2007, 09:31:48 am »

The wonderful thing about exploring a pagan path is that books come to you as you are ready to learn.  I tended to rely on my coven for recommendations that most of the community acknowledges as worthwhile, and I have also received recommendations on this forum from folks about more mainstream books that I have overlooked.  On my own, I went off down some obscure, little-walked paths, and came up with books that really enriched my experience (not necessarily in expected ways). 

When I was exploring Yemaya as a patron deity a few years ago, I couldn't find anything scholarly and comprehensive in English.  But then I found a wonderful book on Osun called Osun Across the Waters - very extensive, well-sourced perspective on Osun, with one essay comparing and contrasting Osun and Yemaya.  By the end of the book, I had learned a tremendous amount about Osun, and I knew that I would never have an intimate connection with her.  It was learning by default in an area that I normally wouldn't have considered, which teaches open-mindedness with regard to religious belief, a valuable lesson.

Raven Kaldera's books also opened up perspectives on the pagan community that I normally wouldn't have had much interest in.  I especially felt that way about Dark Moon Rising, his book on BDSM and spirituality, and The Ethical Psychic Vampire, on vampires.  Also, Mythastrology was very good, because it really showed me how one system (Hellenic astrology) could manifest across gods and goddesses from pantheons across the planet.  Reading books like this really make me feel as if I am growing spiritually, because they expand my boundaries into areas I never would have considered if I had stuck to what I sometimes term "orthodox pagan" booklists, made up of well-acknowledged authors like Buckland, Gardner, Valiente, Cunningham, Penczak, Adler, Starhawk, Hutton and others.  Not that there is anything wrong with our literary canon (its good that we have one), but one of the purposes of a "canon" is to encourage readers to go very far beyond it.  Finding pagan and/or witch-centered themes in literature not typically identified as pagan is something I also encouraged the teenagers in our coven to do - we came up with Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins and a wonderful short story by Chekhov called "The Witch", among other examples.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: July 03, 2007, 12:52:47 pm »

Finding pagan and/or witch-centered themes in literature not typically identified as pagan is something I also encouraged the teenagers in our coven to do - we came up with Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Jitterbug Perfume is one of my all-time favorite novels. 

I don't think I would have labeled it pagan or witch-centered, although it does have some elements that are familiar to some pagans.  F'ex, Pan makes an appearance, as do some of the Kemetic underworld deities (apologies if I got the terminiology wrong on that!).  But, otherwise, I've never thought if it as pagany, just a *really* great book.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 03, 2007, 01:04:35 pm »

The Circle Within
and Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle.

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 03, 2007, 01:37:14 pm »

When I was exploring Yemaya as a patron deity a few years ago, I couldn't find anything scholarly and comprehensive in English.  But then I found a wonderful book on Osun called Osun Across the Waters - very extensive, well-sourced perspective on Osun, with one essay comparing and contrasting Osun and Yemaya.  By the end of the book, I had learned a tremendous amount about Osun, and I knew that I would never have an intimate connection with her.  It was learning by default in an area that I normally wouldn't have considered, which teaches open-mindedness with regard to religious belief, a valuable lesson.

There is a book on Yemaya:

Yemonja Maternal Divinity: Tranquil Sea Turbulent Tides (Divine Tales of the Yorubas)
by Lloyd Weaver (Author), Olurunmi Egbelade (Author)

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
AsmaClementine
Last Login:July 09, 2007, 01:11:54 pm

Religion: Pagan

The Only One Left Standing.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 04, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »

Jitterbug Perfume is one of my all-time favorite novels. 

My sentiments exactly!  I'm a big fan of Tom Robbins....while this book (and many, many of his others) have no direct pagan leaning his philosophy simply makes my brain happy.  His writing teaches you to think in different ways, I believe, is the way I would put it.
   As  far as the 'Wicca 101 and beyond' I agree that you should follow your interested and persue a favorite topic deeper, however, a book I own came to mind called The Second Circle (Tool For The Advancing Pagan) by Venicia Rauls that is meant to provide a series of projects for those that have 'graduated' from Wicca 101 and wish to advance and deepen their training.  It's worth a read.
Accioceroi
Apprentice
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 04:38:35 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Left Hand Path

Celestial delinquent of an androgynous mind.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 05, 2007, 04:49:58 pm »

"The Circle Within" by Dianne Sylvan is a must, and I found "Solitary Wicca for life" by Arin Murphy-Hiscock a interesting 101 post read. It filled in some minor blanks at the time. Other than that I agree with the whole branching out theory, specialize in what most interests you. I don't know about you but I find most "advanced" witchcraft books to be little more than 101 books using larger words. I wish there were more books on old pagan practices.. there are thousands of translated cuneiform texts on the subject just doing nothing! ack..

I am lying on the temple floor, uttering a lullaby of meaningless words, waiting for the snakes in my head to fall asleep.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)